Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Destroyed tank

joerookery

I know almost nothing about British tanks. Does the number which I think it begins with a one, help us determine where this is?

5574832298_43ea752726_z.jpgps1067 by joerookery, on Flickr

Nice find, Delta. The reference has a hyperlink. The side view is consistent with the photograph above.

Robert

The author of the Landships website has done a storming job.

And, due to the careful research by Jean-Luc Gibot and Philippe Gorczynski, we can even locate the spot on 20th November 1917.

The circle on this map shows where the tank became ditched in the German wire defences north of Trescault

This is the November incident - will have to do some more digging about Brie bridge

Brie bridge to the south of Peronne where the photo was taken

My goodness what a tremendously detailed answer! Thank you so much.

These numbers, known as serial numbers or manufacturers numbers, reveal a lot about a tank and I've made a detailed study of them. Although 8043 was indeed D26 "Don Quixote II" of D Battalion at Cambrai, the photo you've posted was taken at Brie Bridge in March 1918 when it was serving with 5th Battalion (formerly E Battalion). Thus, strictly speaking, at the time your picture was taken it was no longer "Don Quixote II".

Gwyn

These pics are fascinating - can anyone tell me the source please?

Cheers, John

I have just had a look at Google Earth (enter Trescault in the search)

(ref: 50 06 24.08 N 3 06 08.40 E)

On the old map above there is a triangle of wood to the left of the red circle. This triangualr wood is still there now and about 250 yards to the east of it there is a dark blemish in the crop at the spot where I think the tank bought it: this blermish strikes me as the sort of thing that would/could be caused by contamination /altertations to the soil even after all these years due to fuel leakage or fire. There are other "blemishes" to the north of the triangular wood too.

(Google Street View has even been up a few of the tracks nearby and gives an excellent idea of the lie of the land.)

The area near Brie Bridge looks very wet for tanks!

Alfred

Could well be ; I could not see it when I was walking there last October although the ground was quite dry (for October)