Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I have the casualty's name and rank

museumtom

Try as I might I just cannot find this man. The clues we have is he was a limerick soldier who died between April 1917 and May 1918. Any help in this matter would be most welcome. Thanking you all in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Limerick Soldier’s Will.

Private Patrick O’Donnell, while on active service, on 24th September, 1916, bequeathed his property to a Miss Lynch, but on the 25th April, 1917, he wrote as follows to Mrs Sarah Browne, Francis Street, Limerick;--“Dear Sarah—I have just been asked by my Sergeant Major, who is my next of kin, so I told him that you were my aunt. So if anything happens to me, you will get all my money and other property.” Legal proceedings having ------, on the death of the soldier, as to the disposal of his property, Mr Justice Madden, made an order declaring the document of the 25th April, 1917, the last will of the deceased, and allowed Miss Lynch £5 in costs. Mr Holmes (instructed by Mr J.J.Power) for Miss Lynch, Mr Pheps (instructed by Mr H.O.H. Moran) for Mrs Browne.

Would you Adam and Eve it, I found him in WW1 Irish Soldiers, Their final testament. He was 18798, Scots Rifles.

Ok all, you may return to normal.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thanks all the same Diane.

Kind regards.

Tom.

There's a fascinating story behind that. Who was Miss Lynch that contested the letter? What was her relationship with the soldier? Was Mrs. Browne really his aunt? I've never called an auntie by her first name in my life. The word "bequeathed" implies a will so it seems a bit unfair of the Justice to allow the later documentation. Interesting! Antony

The will leaves will left everything to (Sweetheart) Miss Bridget Lynch, Kelmallock Infirmary, Kelmallock, County Limerick, Ireland.