Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal West Kent Regiment

100nz

Could anyone tell me where the Royal West Kent Regiment was posted from 30 November 1916 I am trying to find out where my great grandfather Frederick William Albert Lucas S29029 was before he was posted to India on 9 March 1917. I have his war records which I am trying to decipher.

It looks like on enrollment he was with the Rifle Brigade May have been transferred to R W Kent on the 10 February 1917.

Thanks

A check with Ancestry shows a Medal Index Card for a Private G/25010 Frederick W A Lucas of The "Queen's Own" Royal West Kent Regiment with an entitlement to a British War and Victory Medal - Could this be your Grandfather? A General Service number ("G" and "GS") were allocated to men of "Kitchener's Army" who formed the Service Battalions of The "Queen's Own" - The PRO Reference for G/23001-30835 is WO329/1451.

See:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=3914626

As to where the Royal West Kent Regiment was posted from 30 November 1916 Jonathan Saunders may be able to assist with the summary details but the full account can be found in A T Atkinson's The "Queen's Own" Royal West Kent Regiment 1914 -1919 from page 225 to 471!

Yes this is my grandfather. Thanks for the book title I live in NZ so may have difficulty getting a copy but will try. Will Jonathan Saunders

thanks again

www.100nzmemorials.blogspot.com

If he was transferred to QORWK 10 February 1917 and posted India, 9 March 1917, then he wouldnt have been with QORWK in UK for very long. If he went to India then he was posted to either 4th or 5th Bns - they were Territorial units. If he was posted to a home Territorial unit of the QORWK beforehand then he was most likely at Tunbridge Wells, but it wouldnt have been more than a couple of weeks on the dates you have provided.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Don't forget when ordering books, there is a small green tab "Support Via Amazon and AbeBooks" on the GWF header strip so that orders via the GWF get a small payment (FROM THEM, NOT YOU!) which helps towards the Forum running costs....