Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Givenchy War Memorial

gwken

Givenchy war memorials.

I am new to this site, and have seen the thread from 2008 about Liverpool Memorial Hall Givenchy, France. I have a particular interest here and with the 'other' memorial (see photo, if it has loaded).

The bronze wreath originally contained a plaque which read 'In affectionate remembrance from the City of Liverpool', that plaque now evidently being lost. I know of its existence because I have the original artist's sketches and photographs of the completed work in Liverpool before the memorials were taken to France.

My grandfather, Joseph A Hodel, was a jeweller and silversmith in Liverpool, he taught at the Art School and he made many memorials and commemorative pieces for the City, including these. There were two plaques on the memorial gates (see the original post *), together with this wreath and plaque.

It is a few years since my visit to Givenchy, and I have had it in mind to investigate the possibilities of restoring the memorial to its original condition. Given that the centenary of the war is not far off, the time might be right for the project.

I had recently drafted letters to the Mayor of Givenchy and to the Lord Mayor of Liverpool giving this background and asking if they have any interest in the project; but having found the posts here I have delayed sending them because some of you obviously have contacts which will be more targeted than my random fire.

My apologies for this long, initial post, but I would be interested in any suggestions members might have in how to initiate the project, current contacts etc.

*(http://1914-1918.inv...1)

post-67730-0-77360700-1301404278.jpg

Ken

Welcome to this forum - a very interesting post. Although I was involved in the previous exchanges and have visited Givenchy 11 years ago, I am not really qualified to contribute more on the subject. However, I am sure there are plenty of others who will be able to comment more constructively.

Have you a photo of the whole monument?

It might be worth adding here that the city of Liverpool has just committed money towards the establishment here of a memorial to the Pals battalions of the King's Regiment, so any approach for funds might have to be tailored with that in mind.

Daggers

Thanks for that response. I know money is difficult everywhere, and this is a very minor thing, but it might make an interesting project for someone, recreating and casting a small bronze plaque.

I will add some photos, including one of the original pre-installation ones.

post-67730-0-67888000-1301411704.jpg

The 55th West Lancs memorial is at the 'other end' of the village, if my memory is correct.

Here is the other image (having trouble uploading 2 images at a time, I'll read the help topics!)

post-67730-0-50219500-1301412209.jpg

Ken

When you have made a few more posts here, [with or without any content!] you will be able to send Personal Messages. If you then send me your email address I can then send you copies of The Times reports on the dedication ceremony at the Hall in 1924.

D

Thanks for that suggestion, Daggers, I have copies of the Liverpool Echo with the then Mayor inspecting the memorials, but nothing about the dedication ceremony. So, yes please in due course.

Ken

Ken

I have been away for a few days, and cannot remember if I have sent you this, which I received from Ian Riley of this forum:

"This may be of interest. It is the opening of the Liverpool Memorial Hall at Givenchy Les La Bassée that is adjacent to the 55th (West Lancashire) Division Memorial

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=21299&title=LIVERPOOL'S+GIFT+MEMORIAL+

"

You should click on the arrow to the left of the opening panel to start the film clip which runs for just under 5 minutes.

D