Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Uniforms

genieoloji

Can anyone help. This is my first post. I have a picture of my great granddad which was taken in 1916 I believe. All I know is he was a Lance Corporal but no more than that. I would love to be able to learn a bit more about where he might have served etc. Thanks

post-67763-0-01514900-1301362394.jpg

Hello Genieoloji

Welcome to you.

Post your great grandad's name, date - or at least approximate year - of birth and where he lived (if you know).

Someone will be able to help.

Susan

MY great grandfathers name was Henry Harry Samuels known as Harry. He was born in St Lukes area of Bethnal Green in Oct 1880. Hoping someone might be able to identify his uniform from the photo I posted. His father was also named the same but was born around 1860. All help greatly appreciated.

Hello Genieoloji

Welcome to you.

Post your great grandad's name, date - or at least approximate year - of birth and where he lived (if you know).

Someone will be able to help.

Susan

Thanks Susan

If it was taken 1916 he would be 36 years of age. I would guess this was taken some time before 1916 - pre war. Appears to have grenade collar badges which I understand were used by Engineers, Artillery and Fusiliers in various forms. Does he have rank insignia on the epaulettes? If so this signifies he was an officer.

Can't find anything obvious listed in the WW1 Medal Index Cards.

Have you checked Census, Marriage, Birth Records etc. Susan as these may record his regiment?

Rgds

Tim

Thanks Tim, yes I have done the usual searches, because I know absolutely nothing about uniforms and related dates to these all I can go on is what I was told - 1916 or 18 as the date taken. Could it be coldstream guards? :unsure:

Thanks

if it is a Guardsman I would have thought Grenadier Guards, but I am not a Guards uniform expert.

Steve.

I'd be surprised if that picture was taken in 1916 - he'd be in khaki, I assume if it had been.

We need one of the uniform experts to date the uniform.

• Admin

Perhaps the Mods can move this thread to the uniforms sub forum so it can be seen by the uniform experts? Or the OP can repost this there

Michelle

Royal Artillery or Royal Engineers I would say and pre WW1. The jacket (or tunic) is wrong for a Guards regiment.

Tunic. Cuffs wrong for Guards. Probably Fusiliers, and one of the Royal ones. The white braid on top of collar was there for only about 11 years [without looking up my notes] from 1902 to 1913. I thus date the photo, probably at the early end of the spectrum from hair and fuzz.

Tunic. Cuffs wrong for Guards. Probably Fusiliers, and one of the Royal ones. The white braid on top of collar was there for only about 11 years [without looking up my notes] from 1902 to 1913. I thus date the photo, probably at the early end of the spectrum from hair and fuzz.

Could he be wearing officer rank GRUMPY or are they shoulder titles of some description and he is a PTE?

Will help narrow down the search for Susan.

Rgds

Tim D

Could he be wearing officer rank GRUMPY or are they shoulder titles of some description and he is a PTE?

Will help narrow down the search for Susan.

Rgds

Tim D

No doubt in my mind, a Private soldier.

Short Service Attestation document for a Harry Samuels born 1880 Bethnal Green. Occupation: Labourer. Signed 2nd September 1897 Service number 5129 Middlesex Regiment, available with Ancestry.

Well done Myrtle.

I cannot for the life of me find this on ancestry.

Senility I reckon.

Well done Myrtle.

I cannot for the life of me find this on ancestry.

Senility I reckon.

Susan

Don't panic :)

I had both Ancestry and Find my Past open while doing some searches and quoted the wrong one. It can be found on FMP.

Grumpy

If this is the same Harry Samuels he was under 18 when he attested with The Middlesex. He and his father also appear to be absent from home at the time of the 1901 census (if I have the correct family) which may indicate service in South Africa?

H Samuels

Campaign or Service: South Africa - Second Boer War

Service Date: 1899-1902

Service Location: South Africa

Regiment or Unit Name: Mounted Infantry Company Middlesex

Regimental Number: 5129

Thought I was going nuts. Thanks Myrtle.

post-8059-0-01182200-1301581942.jpg

problem: Middx not a Royal Regiment ..... don't think my diagnosis is wrong.

Was one of its founding regiments not a Royal - East Middlesex, I think? Could this account for the cuffs? Antony

I notice that there is a family tree on Ancestry that says that Harry Samuels was with RASC. There's a mic for a Harry Samuels with the Royal Fusiliers and the ASC.

Harry Samuels Royal Fusiliers, Army Service Corps 576,M/354501

Was one of its founding regiments not a Royal - East Middlesex, I think? Could this account for the cuffs? Antony

The only place you will see "Royal Middlesex Regiment" is on the memorial to the regiment erected by the Germans in St Symphorien Cemetery near Mons. Neither the 57th or 77th regiments of foot was "Royal" prior to 1881 or subsequently.

Thanks Guys, I have a distant relation that has him in 1918 as Lance Corporal Army Service but I cant be sure as cant find any info on uniforms for this period. He lived in Bethnal Green a survivor of the war, married Annie Jarvis 20/02/1900 if this helps.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

Could anybody help with the following uniform recognition?

Unknown regiment

The picture is from my father-in-law's family collection but sadly, there are no details included on the photo...

If anyone can cast any light on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Steve