Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify this 15th King's Liverpool officer's signature

Jesse

Anyone have a go at this signature? Date of 20.9.15. Appears to be last name of Wallace, but I haven't found anyone yet to match in the KLR.

post-2191-0-09735200-1301253182.jpg

Hi Jesse

Could it be a hyphenated last name? O.....slle-Wallace or maybe the first name last letter is an i?

Pity people dont write neater.... but then I cant talk!!!

regards

Robert

First impressions of forename looks like Ernest.

What a spiders crawl.

Hi Jesse

Anymore of the writing available to compare letters?

Mick S

Hi Jesse,

In my December,1915, Army List, under 15th(Reserve)Bn. K.L.R., there is a Lieut.E.L.Wallace, who is, I suspect, your man? Ernest L.Wallace?

By October, 1917, he is a T/Capt with the Machine Gun Corps Infantry and by February, 1919, he has disappeared from the Army List. He appears to be the only officer with this surname and initials.

Hope this helps.

Robert

MIC on ancestry:

10.1.1919 Ernest L Wallace eligible for SWB

Sorry to sound ignorant but would this be a possible reason for disappearance from Army list?

Yes, I think you lot may well be on track and target with "E.L. Wallace". An astute read, Susanhemmings, with "Ernest". That capital "E" was well lost on me. Thank you for your efforts, old owl and IPT, and your offers of assistance, rkirb5 and Mick S. The MGC link may make sense, as bear witness to the following section of the letter (author's capitals); "You will see I am still on home soil & am presently at Altcar Rifle Ranges going through a course of Machine Guns. Had I not been chosen a Gunner I would at this time be in France, but once chosen we go out as Gunners. It's called the Suicide Section. So far no Gunners have left the 15th though we have some 24 officers & 150 men on the different fronts."