Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers

bobshaw

Can any one please help, or do you have the War Diaries for the 6th Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers.

I am trying to confirm that two brothers were actually kia on the same day, if so what

battle they were in?

Second Lieutenant John Herbert Shaw

Birth:unknown

Death: Oct. 26, 1917

Note: 6th Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers. 26th October 1917. Panel 19 to 23 and 162.

Burial:Tyne Cot Memorial

ZonnebekebWest Flanders (West-Vlaanderen), Belgium

Plot:

Lieutenant Philip Shaw

Birth:unknown

Death: Oct. 26, 1917

Note: 6th Bn. attd. 5th Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers. 26th October 1917. Age 41. Son of Henry William Cross Shaw and Katharine Shaw

Burial:Tyne Cot Memorial

ZonnebekebbWest Flanders (West-Vlaanderen), Belgium

Plot:

Any help would be appreciated, Regards.

Bob

According to Everard Wyrall "The Fiftieth Division 1914 to 1918" the men of 149 Brigade were part of XIV Corps. These two Officers were killed 26th October 1916 which was the beginning of the Second Battle of Passchendaele.

The Territorials of the 5oth Division were conducting operations in the area of Foret D'Houthuls. The 6th NF were the 149 Brigade Reserve for the initial part of the Battle. One Company was sent to support 7 NF, a Platoon to to 5 NF. The Divisional History reports the casualties as being "appalling"

50Div2ndPaschendaele.jpg

According to Everard Wyrall "The Fiftieth Division 1914 to 1918" the men of 149 Brigade were part of XIV Corps. These two Officers were killed 26th October 1916 which was the beginning of the Second Battle of Passchendaele.

The Territorials of the 5oth Division were conducting operations in the area of Foret D'Houthuls. The 6th NF were the 149 Brigade Reserve for the initial part of the Battle. One Company was sent to support 7 NF, a Platoon to to 5 NF. The Divisional History reports the casualties as being "appalling"

50Div2ndPaschendaele.jpg

Hi Ian,

Please accept my most sincere thanks for your prompt reply and confirming that these two officers (brothers) had been kia on the same day, your explaanation of the battle and the map makes a lot more sense, this is also appreciated.

This family (as many others) was not very luck, the third brother Capt. Henry Lynn Shaw of the R Warwks Reg, was also killed in 1916, then a cousin Evelyn F Shaw a member of the First Aid Nursing Yoemanry died in 1918, from what I can find was the only member of this Unit to have lost her life in WW1.

Many, many thanks, kind regards.

Bob

In the 7/NF account of the action that day a 2/Lt Shaw was reported killed. It's possible that this is J H Shaw, attached to the 7/NF from the 6th just as his brother was attached from the 6th to the 5th Battalion.

Regards

Martin

Just looked in the Roll of Honour for the 7/NF and 2/Lt J H Shaw is on the list. It doesn't show him as being attached, so he may, at sometime earlier, been transferred to the 7th and taken on that Battalion's strength. The 7th battalion's casualties among officers on the 26th October shows the execution that took place: 10 Officers killed and 1 wounded!!! Very odd returns

Martin

Area of operations on October 26th., trenches here corrected to 4/10/17. The objective was to be the long line of huts in square V 1 dpost-24996-0-66720600-1301240522.jpg

Hi Martin,

You have kindly looked up the Roll of Honour and managed to find 2nd Lieut. J H Shaw listed, that really helps, but did you manage to spot if Lieut. P Shaw was also there?

I wonder if they were involved with the same assault.

As you say those casualty returns do seem rather unusual, quite a fair number of officers was it a disastrous encounter for the NF?

Your trench map is a great compliment to the one posted by Ian,

Regards.

Bob

Hi

I apologise for the quality of the map, it's the 100 KB limit allowed by the Forum. If you want a better and clearer copy please send me your email address and I will send it. Sorry I haven't got anything on his brother. Hope that you get hold of more material in the near future. I can send you scans of the pages of the 50th Divisional account of the part played by the 7th Battalion and also the 7th Battalion's own account of the day's events now we know he lost his life with them

Regards

Martin