Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer KIA at Westhoek 1917

I seek a second lieutenant James E. Furniss, 4 Battalion of the RIR and who died July 31, 1917 at the Battle of Westhoek. I am looking for any information about this man and also photo of him. I am also interested in getting in contact with relatives of this man.

Probably he had a brother, John Furniss, who also was an officer in the 12th RIR and I am also interested in information about him.

There is just one Officer service file for a J FURNISS at the National Archives, WO339/74615. If there WERE two of the same name then maybe the other survived and served beyond 1921 and won't have his file on index there.It would probably be at Army Records,Glasgow.

Sotonmate

John Edward Furniss

12 RIR, 4th bn

Posted to France 5/10/1915

Awarded 1915 star, BWM, VM and MC.

medals were sent to

the first bit is unclear but looks like Mac Murrays hall

Hillborough Rd

Lisburn

Ireland

There is a medal card for James Furniss under number pvt 9404 O.T.C later 2nd Lt RIR.

Hi Martin, tried to pm you, sent you details about 2wks ago on these chaps, if will resend if you email me.

kind regards Walter.

Hi Martin, tried to pm you, sent you details about 2wks ago on these chaps, if will resend if you email me.

kind regards Walter.

Hi Walter,I have just send you a e-mail.

Martin

Hi Martin, emailed photo and info let me know if you receive them, having bit of problem sending files at moment.

Walter.

From Straid-Ballynure-Ballyclare--remembered Ballynure Presbyterian. Father-J.E.Furniss

Wesley Wright

Hi Martin, emailed photo and info let me know if you receive them, having bit of problem sending files at moment.

Walter.

Thanks for any info. I have been a little confused because I have an officer's sword is engraved with JE Furniss and is said to have belonged to James Furniss who fell 1917th But it could also be that it belonged to his brother John E. Furniss. It is perhaps someone who can help me with this and have more information about the officer's sword as you can see at:

http://www.swordsales.eu/WW1-British-Named-Rifle-Regiment-Officers-Sword.html

Best regards, Martin

Thanks for any info. I have been a little confused because I have an officer's sword is engraved with JE Furniss and is said to have belonged to James Furniss who fell 1917th But it could also be that it belonged to his brother John E. Furniss. It is perhaps someone who can help me with this and have more information about the officer's sword as you can see at:

http://www.swordsale...cers-Sword.html

Best regards, Martin

www.swordsales.eu/WW1-British-Named-Rifle-Regiment-Officers-Sword.html