Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Halewood Servicemen

izzy

The Remains of two servicemen named on my local War Memorial were recovered after the War and buried in C.W.G.C cemeterys can anyone tell me what was going on on the day they died and where the location of there remains were found.The two Servicemen are

Arthur Samuel Elliott 10 Bn Kings Liverpool Regt died 10/09/1916. Body recovered Map Reference 57c.S.11a now commemorated in Delville Wood Cemetery.

James William Prentice 2nd Bn Grenadier Guards died 27/08/1918. Body recovered Map Reference 57c.B.10.b3.4 now commemorated Mory Abbey Military Cemetery Mory France.

Any help on the Actions that took place on the date of death or the location of the map ref would be welcome.

Izzy

10th KLR Diary:-

On the night of the 8th (September 1916), all available men again went up to the front line (in Delville Wood) & connected up the strong points dug the previous evening and on completion occupied this new trench - now the front line, and at the same time relieving 1/5 KORL who went back to our own trench at MONTAUBAN. Work during the following two days was carried on - salvage parties working through DELVILLE WOOD burying dead and digging in.

That's it, really, no mention of casualties by the day, only a monthly total.

Not much in the history, either.

Ste (working down the road from you now, in Speke)

Sorry mate, I've no idea. Perhaps a new thread with MAPS in the title might elicit some knowledge?

Izzy

There is no reference to him in a passage about the incident in 'Bravest of Hearts - the Biography of a Battalion'.

D