Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dorset regiment 1st Btn E Coy

ellimondo

Here are some images of my great great uncle (Alexander) Frank Crawshaw. They are all pre-1914.

I promised these a long time ago but they have only just surfaced again.

He was in Dorset 1st Btn E Coy. He was KIA 11th February 1915. He saw action pretty much from day one as far as I can tell. He must have been through absolute hell without any leave.

I would love to get more information about that time. If you want more information or higher res of these then I can post them elsewhere for you.

I also have his letters home to his sister and will be posting transcriptions of them one at a time on my blog - I'll post this url later on tonight.

The scanner quality isn't great - they were done by my Great Uncle out in New Zealand but they are the best I am going to get until I can get my hands on the originals - or copies of those.

Marching on Blackdown (poss) (Frank is 9th from right)

post-38639-0-38096800-1300908134.jpg

Acrobats! (Frank is 2nd row seated far right)

post-38639-0-98847300-1300908732.jpg

Jugglers! (Frank is 4 from right standing - arms around pal)

post-38639-0-89711800-1300908782.jpg

In uniform (Frank is back row 5 from right possibly)

post-38639-0-65772400-1300908841.jpg

No. 2 mess (Frank is 3 from right seated)

post-38639-0-74771800-1300908882.jpg

Frank's grave in Wulverghelm-Lindenhoek Military Cemetery in February 2005.

post-38639-0-78747100-1300910746.jpg

Frank's grave in Wulverghelm-Lindenhoek Military Cemetery in February 2010.

post-38639-0-63937100-1300910921.jpg

Jon,

Terrific photos. Thanks for posting them. Hi res copies would be fantastic.

Regards

Steve

I have just begun to research my great uncle, Lieutenant Athelstan Key Durance George, Dorset Regiment 1st Bat. The photo on the left is captured from the group picture in your post; (man in the1st row, at the right of the photo) The photo on the right is from his obituary. I think this is him.???

post-67127-0-87079200-1301176213.jpg

post-67127-0-91742300-1301176223.jpg

It certainly looks like him. Do you have any more information on your great uncle? I would love to hear more about him.

Steve

This is a link to my Dropbox account - you can view and download the scans from there. As I said they are pretty cruddy scans - I'll get some better copies and would be happy to post you some duplicates.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/631164/1/Frank%20Crawshaw%20scans?h=6a11fb

If you want to use Dropbox yourself (it's brilliant for sharing files and accessing information in multiple places) then please use the following link - I get given extra space for recommendations!

http://db.tt/V1QG0Kt

I will be posting his first letter to his sister on my blog this coming week. There will be a weekly letter, along with a bit of commentary and research from myself into whatever he is talking about - there are 33 letters all in all. The first letter is from Blackdown in 1912.

Be sure to check it out - I am looking to encourage comments and get any help and advice where ever possible - http://blog.ellimondo.com

ellimondo,

Thanks for repling to my post!

I have actually found out more about my relative from this forum in the past week than I had ever known previously. It was interesting to see what appears to be his picture in one of your group shots. There are several posts about this man including the one that I have copied below that talks about the existance of a personal photo album of AKDG's that I beleive a few people on this forum may know about and some may have recieved copies of.

I have made a coulple of posts and sent some messages in the hope that someone can help me to get at least copies of the photos in the album that may very well have other members of my family in it.

I found this unbelievable bit of information completly by chance but I could be a very significant find for my family if I can get the help of forum members.

Michael George

"Steve,

There is an interesting story connected with this album and also a public message of thanks to be made to 'Ash' and his wife.

The album is of Lieutenant Athelstan Key Durrance GEORGE (AKDG) and spans in photographs his life from Caius College, Cambridge in 1904 to his regimental days in India circa 1909 with other photos until 1912. AKDG died of wounds 14 September 1914 and is buried in Coulommiers Communal Cemetery.

The album was acquired by Ash purely by chance and had spent the last 40 years in a farm workers loft having originally been found in a ditch.

Strenuous efforts were made by Ash and his wife to contact AKDG's family but they were apparently not interested in having the album and so, late last year, it was offered to me at no cost, a very generous gesture on behalf of Ash and his wife for which I publicly thank them.

My interest in AKDG stems from my research into the Romsey War Memorial which, together with a good friend, I have undertaken over the last few years. AKDG is listed on the Town memorial and his Grandparents erected a plaque to his memory in Romsey Abbey; he has been a part of the town's history ever since.

When complete, the results of the memorial research and any associated artefacts that I have acquired will de donated to either the main local history group for Romsey or the heritage centre, the album will form part of this donation. In this way, the album will be conserved and others will be able to view the album as it is a record of a man's life. If this is not an option, I will donate the album to The Keep Museum.

Prior to sending me the album the Curator at the King's Liverpool Museum was sent a scan of the relevant photographs for AKDG's time in the 4th Battalion, KLR.

I am more than happy to scan and send you the photographs depicting AKDG's time in the Dorsets and will extend this offer to The Keep Museum.

Tomorrow, I will post a list of the named individuals that are depicted in photographs in the album in case others are interested."

Marc

• 6 years later...