Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

456 Siege Battery RGA WW1

tjack

Arthur Jackson:Regimental No. 164519 was posted to this Siege Battery on June 21st 1917 BUT I don't know where they operated. Can anyone Help Please? Also, I'm desperately tring to decipher the War Service Record I have which goes on to state Posted: Re-Enforcing Depot - Helier? October 20th 1917. Can someone enlighten me please? If I've read his record correctly WHAT does Re-Enforcing Depot mean? Is Helier St.Helier? Lastly I'm reading (or misreading) a further 'posting' to O.H.R.P.(What's this?) Located in France: October 26th 1917. Where in France would it be? You see, he got 'GASSED' out there in early December 1917 and had to come back to the UK. Sorry folks if this is too much to wade through!! Any contributions welcome. tjack :rolleyes:

Hello tjack

It does look a bit like Helier, but should read Hilsea. No.1 Re-enforcing Depot was at Bexhill, but mistakes do happen in records. He was sent here from 456 Sge Bty for some reason and from here sent to France as a replacement gunner for another battery. It is very difficult to read but the best I can decipher is 231 Sge Bty. It may be 281 Sge Bty though. It would need further research on your part. Sorry but I cannot see where you have seen O.H.R.P.

Kevin

Kevin - I owe an apology to you. Being new to the forum I clean forgot to 'return' to my earlier posting (until tonight) to establish who, if anyone, had replied. I've just read your comments so THANKYOU for your help. I've also been greatly assisted by 'PHIL' a regular contributor to Rootschat who wrote and said - I think I agree with Kevin on your GWF post, that it is Hilsea. It did cross my mind before, but I normally connect Hilsea with the RFA. If you look at the record of Herbert Drake Jewell, 164469 and go to image 2110, I think their paths, as far as home service goes, are very similar.

It is also possible that what looks like OHRB, is in fact SARB; Siege Artillery Reserve Brigade.

Kevin found his way to something called 'Casualty Form - Active Service' and there, directly under No I Re-enforcing Depot what I thought was OHRB or OHRP, Kevin has interpreted properly for me.

SO - When Gnr. Arthur Jackson was sent to France on October 26th 1917 he was operating under 231 OR 281 Siege Battery. Now I'm a little confused as I can't see that on my 'documents' . How, Kevin, would I research this one further? As mentioned, he was gassed about 6 weeks later and came back to the UK. Do you think I will be able to get a fairly precise location in France to tidy up my research? Await any comments you can offer. tjack

Hello tjack

It does look a bit like Helier, but should read Hilsea. No.1 Re-enforcing Depot was at Bexhill, but mistakes do happen in records. He was sent here from 456 Sge Bty for some reason and from here sent to France as a replacement gunner for another battery. It is very difficult to read but the best I can decipher is 231 Sge Bty. It may be 281 Sge Bty though. It would need further research on your part. Sorry but I cannot see where you have seen O.H.R.P.

Kevin

Quote, "It is also possible that what looks like OHRB, is in fact SARB; Siege Artillery Reserve Brigade.

Kevin found his way to something called 'Casualty Form - Active Service' and there, directly under No I Re-enforcing Depot what I thought was OHRB or OHRP, Kevin has interpreted properly for me."

Not me, do you mean Phil? I have found my way to the "Statement of Service", page 21113, and the next page for "Casualty Form-Active Service". I read them as follows;

RGA 1 Depot Posted 4-6-1917

456SB 21-6-1917

1 Reinfg Sge 20-10-1917

BEF 26-10-1917

231SB ? date?

RGA Clearing office

RGA Com Depot Ripon 9-2-1918

1 Coy

Cly ? RGA 23-6-1918

Labour Corp 9-10-1918

Are you confusing the typed posting on the Casulty Form which I read as; OC 1 Depot S Arty Posted to BEF France? Perhaps Phil should join the GWF.

I shall have a look to see if I have another gunner who was sent to Bexhill at that time from 456SB.

Kevin

EDIT: Look on page 21126 and you will see a reference to the Sge Bty he was serving with, right hand side.

Hello Kevin,

Phil has joined GWF :D and is normally found on the Non-comms board.

You've got better eyes than me, well spotted.

The un-decipherable initials immediately follow "OC 1 Depot Siege Artillery Posted" (Image 21114).

tjack, the only war diary that I can see for 231 Siege Battery is in WO95/481 and it seems to only cover November 1917, which is actually just right for your researches.

Phil

Quote, "The un-decipherable initials immediately follow "OC 1 Depot Siege Artillery Posted" (Image 21114)."

Yes and as I said reads "to BEF". Sometimes I wonder whether I am looking at different records to every one else.

Having thought about Hilsea I now think it is a sort of abbreviation for Hilsea Barracks, Cosham, Bexhill. It is the only thing that makes sense.

Kevin

Thank you Kevin, I must have been having one of my thick episodes.

Hilsea and Cosham, I can see as geographically connected, but Bexhill is way over in East Sussex. Looking at Jewell's record, I think that it may just be a paper exercise, as it looks as if he was posted ex-Reinforcing Depot (Bexhill) to 458SB (Hilsea) on the same day.

Phil

:rolleyes: Gentlemen. That is Kevin & Phil - even if I do get my names muxed ip!! First class feedback. Thanks for clarifying so much for me towards the full picture I'm seeking to establish. Yes, must confess I couldn't get the connection between Bexhill and Hilsea (separate S.Coast locations) but now you've cracked it for sure Kevin!! What's more your x ray eyes saw BEF (not OHRB/OHRP or SARB) what a genius, though you'd call it plain common sense I suppose!

I'm ignorant of so much obviously so is BEF - British Expeditionary Force? Or something else? I don't have a P21126 Kevin (sorry) you refer under EDIT to - the Sge Battery HE was serving with (right hand side). Presumably you mean Gnr.Jackson and you mean 231 Siege Battery - Yes?

And, a Q. 4 PHIL if I'm not being too pedantic. You mention QUOTE - 'the only war diary that I can see for 231 Siege Battery is in WO95/481 and it seems to only cover November 1917', Can I read up on this via another WEBSITE or do I have to contact the War Office for more details? You see I don't know what's in the public domain and where to go otherwise.

Gentlemen - once again you've been brilliant in getting me this far. tjack