Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Purnell's History of the First World War.

Lancashire Fusilier

Member seadog kindly posted a question regarding Purnell's superb History of The First World War, and for members interest, I am publishing a complete list of the contents of each of the eight volumes, which I have never seen before as a complete list.

Published during the 1970's in 128 parts, divided into eight volumes, this mammoth work is still one of the most comprehensive published reference works on The First World War.

It covers a vast array of subjects relating to World War One, and is a goldmine of information on Uniforms, Weapons, Warfare, Every Battlefield, Every Major Countries Army, Airforce, Navy, The Politics and History of of the War, all major personalities and players, all detailed with excellent photographs, diagrams, maps, drawings, and artwork on just about every World War One topic and subject. The Authors for each article, are some of the best and most knowldegable experts in each of the featured topics.

It is not just made up of the 128 issues, as each issue contained several other issues within them, often there being a total of 6/7 issues within the main issue, giving a superb 800/900 individual articles on World War One.

This is a hefty work, with the total weight for all 8 Volumes being some 18/20 Kg.

As to a retail value, with there being 128 issues, each selling for between 3 to 5 pounds, that gives a total value for the set of 400/650 pounds, assuming that a complete bound set can be found, as the complete bound sets are now extremely rare.

I hope that by publishing the complete list, members can see the in depth scope and scale of this magnificent reference work, and can also see which issues they may have, and which are missing from their collection.

Should any member have any questions regarding Purnell's work on World War One, I shall be delighted to assist if I can.

Due to the size of each download, I shall send the complete list of contents, showing also the sub-topics and the Author for each section in the 128 x 8 Volumes, each volume at a time.

Purnell's History of World War One - Volume 3 Contents List.

Purnell's History of World War One - Volume 4 Contents List.

Purnell's History of World War One - Volume 5 Contents List.

I am having trouble downloading the contents of Volume 7 & 8, I shall try again later or tomorrow.

WOW! that is a great job you are doing here. I agree that this is indeed a superb work. I actually bought my bound copies in the original "Shell Hole" Ypres on the first day of our trip and by doing so exhausted my spending money in one go. When I appealed to my "good" friends for assistance in carrying the 8 volumes they replied that as I had bought them I could damn well carry them!. Thats what friends are for.

Regards

Norman

Norman,

Many thanks for the reply, yes 18/20 kg is weighty.

This is a superb reference work, and prior to buying my set from a Lady in Cheshire, I had searched for ages without finding a complete set, so I know they are rare.

Perhaps, back in the 1970s, there was not the interest in World War One as there is today, as is evidenced by the huge spike in the cost of World War One items, which will only continue to increase, and with the work being spread over 128 issues, which I think were bi-weekly, it would have taken 5 years to collect the set !

Therefore, it is not surprising that complete sets are so rare.

With a massive 8 volumes, 128 sections, 800/900 individual topics covered in detail, with all those fantastic photographs, artwork etc., the set cannot be worth one penny less than 500 pounds.

I know you will continue to enjoy owning your set.

Regards,

Leo

I thought that considering the excellent work our fellow member Leo is doing with the details of the editions, that it might be useful if those members who have not seen the part-work can view some examples:-

5552415641_ed437c6c1e.jpg

Regards

Norman

Hi Leo. Top job. Well done. I'm also lucky enough to own an original complete set of this 8 Volume epic and can only echo what you and Norman say about it.

post-33142-0-82005800-1301580665.jpg

ulsterlad2

Many thanks for the reply and photograph.

I am finding that this set complete, is extremely rare, and has only been seen in it's entirety by a few lucky owners.

I am still ploughing through the 800/900 excellent sections. What a goldmine of WW1 information.

Regards,

Leo

• 2 months later...

The sets are truly fantastic and their depth in the subject cannot be overstated. I personally think they may not be as rare/valuable as predicted. I was able to pick up the complete set of eight volumes off the internet last September for £100 + £20pp. Nevertheless I felt I had attained a bargain and I was willing to pay more than double the fee I paid should I have been pressed harder. Despite their age they still provided excellent, though slightly outdated, articles concerning interpretation of belligerent war aims and grand strategy.

M

Guest exuser1

Worth rembering that if you see a bound set go for one including orginal covers as many had letters concerning previous issues and also letters from vetarens concerning their experinces ,also should include free posters/prints in early issues ,any one requiring the letters i can supply details .As said by others can appear dated but look at the list of writers including early Richard Holmes ,all ways finding my self dipping in for a excellent overview ,and in many ways bettter than the WW2 set ,can you imagin not a mention of Enigma ? but not their fault ,in fact first mention of Enigma HMS Petard and the capture of Shark documents goes to ....Hornet comic 1969 ! years befor it was released by records !

I too am one of the lucky ones with a complete set & your downloads will be a great addition.

I have to say I was not aware of their value; my complete & bound set cost me just £25 at a boot sale last year. I even haggled the seller down from £30 :whistle:

Thanks again for the indexing, a lot of work must have gone in to it.

Andy

• 8 months later...

Hi all, I have just found the Forum and joined immediately. I was looking to sell a complete bound set of this publication (also a WW2 one) and looking for a typical price. I didn't know it was at all sought after, and am not out to make a killing, but if anyone would like to make a sensible offer, please do.

To give you an idea the prices, in the UK for the WW2 set range from around £260 - to over £350.

Just bought a set of these off E Bay for £90 inc postage which I was more than happy with. Can anybody tell me how I can download the contents lists for them that Lancashire Fusilier was offering last year?

Many thanks

Andrew

Just bought a set of these off E Bay for £90 inc postage which I was more than happy with. Can anybody tell me how I can download the contents lists for them that Lancashire Fusilier was offering last year?

Many thanks

Andrew

Andrew,

Pleased to hear you got a set of this excellent publication, at a very reasonable price.

Send me a PM with your email address, and I will send you a set of the contents lists for each volume ( 8 ).

LF

A complete set of these, described as in good condition, has just sold on ebay for £30 and only one bid !