Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Regiments

carolm

Hello Carolyn

I am researching 2nd Battalion Black watch , But anything on black watch would be really helpfull. I would like to say many thanks for the time and effort you are putting for members of the forum :thumbsup:

my best regards

Ian

Hello Ian,

There are plenty of mentions of the 2nd Black Watch. Do you have a particular time frame? (There will be too many to send them all.) Also, please send me your email address by PM so I can send the lists.

Regards

Carolyn

Hi Rob,

Lists away! Posted 28 files to you this morning.

Cheers

Carolyn

Carolyn A big public thank you to Carolyn, for taking the time and effort to send me all the files and information, I have not had the opportunity to read all she has sent, but a quick look tells me that there is a lot of great information in the files.

Thanks once again...Aye Rob.

Though many, I must admit, are just heartbreakingly lengthy lists of killed and wounded.

Heart breaking indeed.

Thank you for making your sources available Carolyn.

Hello Ian,

I've sent some lists off - some from France and some from Mesopotamia. More to follow.

Regards

Carolyn

Carolyn

Could you check this gentleman out for me

James Evatt Clulow

2nd Batt Gordon Highlanders

GSW chest 7-3-1917

Thanks in advance

Hi Carolyn

I got the files you sent ,these will really appreciated and very useful. Thank you for your time and the effort you have put in helping members on the Forum.

:D

Best regards

Ian

Hi Gary,

Re: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Can you narrow that down a bit - time, battle or battalion. There are many, many references to RSF in the casualty lists.

Also, would you send me your email address by PM so I can send the files.

Cheers

Carolyn

Hi Gary,

Re: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Can you narrow that down a bit - time, battle or battalion. There are many, many references to RSF in the casualty lists.

Also, would you send me your email address by PM so I can send the files.

Cheers

Carolyn

PM sent

Hello Carolyn

I also received the files you sent , really appreciated and very useful. Thank you for your time and the effort you have put into helping members on the Forum.

Good Luck

Joe

Carol

I have been trawling through the Belfast Evening Telegraph and photographing pictures of servicemen - some of the men will be from Gordon Highlanders and other Scottish regiments.

I am already feeding images Black Watch servicemen to "Armagh" and am happy to do the same for Gordon Highlanders - if you are interested in receiving a list of the GH men for whom I have images, drop me a PM with your email address.

The same offer applies to anyone researching other Scottish regiments and I am also happy to search my 5,000+ library for individual servicemen.

Nigel

Nigel could you have s look for James (evatt) Clulow although from the Lisbon road he joined the Gordon in 1900 and seen service in the boer war as well as ww1 at the outbreak of war he was living in James street bessbrook

Steve

Re:

James Evatt Clulow

2nd Batt Gordon Highlanders

I'm having no luck finding him, which is a surprise as you seem to have evidence he WAS wounded, so he should be there somewhere. I'm having trouble finding anything about him - he doesn't seem to be with the 2nd Bn in India in 1911 (unless his name is incorrectly transcribed). So far all I've found is a record of his Boer War medal (1st Bn).

I'll keep checking.

Carolyn

Carolyn

He was transferred to the royal engineers after he was wounded which resulted in a number change could that be the reason?

Carolyn - email with GH servicemen photos sent.

Steven - no James Clulow in my library but I will add him to the "watching for" list ... I think you have already asked me about Edward Clulow?

Nigel

Yes Nigel the list has grown slightly I have

Thomas Clulow 2nd south lancashire regiment

Edward Clulow 5th dragoon guards

James evatt Clulow 2nd Gordon highlanders

Robert Clulow royal Irish rifles unsure of batt

William Clulow royal Irish rifles again unsure of batt

5 brothers all in France 2 sadly never returned

Steven

All named Clulow's will be included on my "watch for" list ... I will also bear in mind variant spellings.

Nigel

Hello Carolyn,

Thanks for this very kind offer, would you have anything on the following please?

4TH SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS

DIED 30.04.1918

12TH HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY

KIA 20.03.1918

10/11TH HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY

KIA 22.03.1918

1/7TH ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

KIA 15.06.1916

1/5TH KINGS OWN SCOTTISH BORDERERS

KIA 31.10.1918

I've got another half dozen or so on the Absent voters list which i'll pm with my e mail address.

Thanks again. Llew.

Carolyn

Here is a picture of James Clulow service record, detailing his wound, dosent say were it happened which is something else i would like to find out as well

207813_145752175491615_100001704994487_278050_932118_n.jpg

Hello Llew,

I haven't had any luck with your list, with the exception of Joseph Venable on the Absent Voter list. He was on a POW list for the 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers on 15/3/1915.

I then found him on a POW list with more details. It shows he was captured 11/12/1914 and repatriated 2/1/1919 and his address was Highfield St, Anstey.

I thought I was in luck with another absent voter. I found a Bonser (Leicester)in HLI, wounded list 29/9/1917 but it was Herbert - 29563 not Thomas.

I'll email the Venable casualty list of 15/3/1915 to you and the other extract is here:

post-5583-0-92031400-1301803331.jpg

Carolyn

• Admin

Hi, and thank you for your offer.

I'm researching the 'hospital raid' on Etaples on 20/05/1918, my great uncle Pte P Foster S/14176 14th Bn A & S Highlanders was killed during the raid, along with 12 other Scottish soldiers (out of 82), six were from his Bn but no individual service records survive for them.

One of the others was Pte(?) S/41533 S Mcfadyen 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders; do you have any information on him, especially an earlier record of wounds? I'm trying to establish why they were there and appreciate there is no guarantee they were together, or all died in the raid. (I know the war diary for the 14th Bn has what remains of the Bn after the German March offensive training American troops on that date).

Thanks to forum pals I have the death notices from 'The Scotsman' for the 20th/21st deaths.

I can PM the full list to see if any earlier 'woundings' are listed among this group but note you said they stopped listing them in 1918 and I'm assuming these would all have been recorded post March 21st, (again I understand they could just as easily been convalescing from sickness, in transit, or any of the many other reasons to be at the IBD) but wonder if your database can help with this query.

Ken

Hello Ken,

I haven't been able to find anything on the names of those A&SH men who died on 19/20 May. As you mentioned, the Scotsman stopped publishing lists of wounded in early January 1918. I don't know how likely it would be that anyone wounded before that would still be at Etaples. But anyway, I couldn't find any details.

McFadyen's Service Record is available, but it looks to me as if he (just) died from wounds rather than from any later German action, but I could be wrong.

Sorry I can't be more help.Good luck.

Carolyn

post-5583-0-59957200-1301891119.jpg

Bye the way, McFadyen is indexed on Ancestry as:

Archibald McFadyen abt 1894 Island Farm, Strachur 29

His A&SH number was S/21311 but Ancestry shows it as 21391 - but it is him.