Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8 Royal Scots

flintwich

I am trying to find out what the 1/8 Royal Scots were doing immediately prior to 3 Aug 1916.

My Gran's uncle is buried in Flatiron Copse which I believe was a field hospital area then.

Any ideas where to look please.

Start with the Long, Long Trail, our parent site (top left of this page then use google. 1/8 RS was a Pioneer Battalion of 51st Highland Division. The Division was involved in a costly and unsuccessful attack on High Wood in July. Flatiron Copse (and Cemetery) was in Death Valley, the main supply route for that and subsequent actions. The Valley was so named because the German artillery had it ranged and simply pounded it non-stop. I would assume your man was killed by shellfire. Antony

Start with the Long, Long Trail, our parent site (top left of this page then use google. 1/8 RS was a Pioneer Battalion of 51st Highland Division. The Division was involved in a costly and unsuccessful attack on High Wood in July. Flatiron Copse (and Cemetery) was in Death Valley, the main supply route for that and subsequent actions. The Valley was so named because the German artillery had it ranged and simply pounded it non-stop. I would assume your man was killed by shellfire. Antony

Thanks for that, on my way to Long, Long trail now

Flintwich,

If you p.m. your e-mail address to me I'll forward a copy of the Battalion History written in 1919.

The Battalion was in the High Wood sector from 22 July until early August 1916.

George

Thomas Turnbull from Dalkeith enlisted in January,1915 and went to France on the 1st of August,1915. As George states the Battalion were in the High Wood area around the time of Thomas's death, I will have a look at the war diary and a working party notebook I have when I get home.

Edit I can check the Dalkeith Advertiser for you on my next trip to the Local Studies Library.

John

Thomas Turnbull from Dalkeith enlisted in January,1915 and went to France on the 1st of August,1915. As George states the Battalion were in the High Wood area around the time of Thomas's death, I will have a look at the war diary and a working party notebook I have when I get home.

Edit I can check the Dalkeith Advertiser for you on my next trip to the Local Studies Library.

John

Thanks John, relations of Thomas Turnbull live in the same village as you.

Ah , quite a few Turnbulls in Newtongrange as it's a large village, do they have a photo of Thomas perchance. I nipped in to the library on the way home from work and got a photo from the paper , unfortunately poor quality as the sun was blazing in the window and the lens is manky on the machine.

Still worth a look, will try for a better one another day.

John

post-12171-0-71555600-1300815864.jpg

The war diary has A & C companies working on High Valley and Thistle Alley improving communications. I have attached a trench map (courtesy Linesman) which hopefully is clear, the triangle is the area Thomas was working in, incidentally his will is held at the NAS in Edinburgh ref SC70/8/398/2

John

post-12171-0-71139300-1300816986.jpg

Thank you for the replies.

I have learnt more in the last few days than in the last few years.

It was good to see his obituary and map of the area he was working in. The regimental diary gives an idea of the places and work he was doing.

I have copies of Thomas' enlistment and medal cards and visited the grave in 2003.

Although not certain, I believe I was the first family member to visit.

I am going on another beer and battlefields tour in May, based in Poperinge.

Don't know the itinerary yet but if you want any photography done, please ask.

Al

• 1 month later...

Been looking on the CWGC website at Chelmsford graves and found this one.

Seems strange he's buried here, so far from home.

Name:

SAMUEL, FREDRICK WOODMORE

F W

United Kingdom

Private

Royal Scots

2nd/8th Bn.

29/03/1916

Son of Mrs. Margaret Samuel, of Campbell's Close, Dalkeith, Midlothian.

Commonwealth War Dead

C. 206.

CHELMSFORD (WRITTLE ROAD) CEMETERY

Initials:
Nationality:
Regiment/Service:
Unit Text:
Service No:
Additional information:
Casualty Type:
Grave/Memorial Reference:
Cemetery:

Al,

Just a guess.

If you check out the movement of the 2/8th, from the Mother site, they were in Essex at the time of his death so he likely to have died of illness or accident.

I've a feeling his next of kin had to pay if they wished his body brought home.

George

By coincidence I was sitting in the Local Studies library with this in front of me on the screen when the email came through, dycer and flintwich are you watching me. :ph34r:

John

post-12171-0-84671000-1304613697.jpg

post-12171-0-44542100-1304613729.jpg

post-12171-0-13812800-1304613745.jpg

post-12171-0-04395600-1304613760.jpg

Amazing !

I am at work so was unable to trace any further.

A sad story.

Chelmsford Riverside Leisure Centre, 95 years later, still has inside and outside swimming available.

Maybe I should point out the coroners comments to the present council.

Al

• 1 year later...

Amazing !

I am at work so was unable to trace any further.

A sad story.

Chelmsford Riverside Leisure Centre, 95 years later, still has inside and outside swimming available.

Maybe I should point out the coroners comments to the present council.

Al

I'm also researching (for a friend) a 1/8th RS chappy (survived) but was known to be involved in constructing Thistle Alley etc - any ideas of how to pin the site down 'on the ground' during a visit?

P.S. also live in Chelmsford :) small world innit.

I'm also researching (for a friend) a 1/8th RS chappy (survived) but was known to be involved in constructing Thistle Alley etc - any ideas of how to pin the site down 'on the ground' during a visit?

If you have a map (John's one above is perfect) and stand on Bazentin Ridge - the north edge of Caterpillar Valley Cemetery is a very good spot - you can look north into the valley with High Wood beyond and you'll get a panoramic view of the area marked by the triangle. The fields are cultivated, but there is a path which heads north from Bazentin Ridge to Thistle Dump Cemetery, and It may continue northwards to High Wood - it is marked on maps but I can't remember if it still actually there! I'm sure someone who has been there recently can tell you.

Equipping yourself with Paul Reed's book "Walking the Somme" would be a worthwhile move.

William

Thanks William,

I'm in the process of digesting information just sent to me direct from John Duncan himself.

He has researched a number of sources regarding the location of Thistle Alley trench and it appears it may not be as close to Thistle Dump as most people think (including myself!).

More to come...

• 2 months later...

Thanks William,

I'm in the process of digesting information just sent to me direct from John Duncan himself.

He has researched a number of sources regarding the location of Thistle Alley trench and it appears it may not be as close to Thistle Dump as most people think (including myself!).

More to come...

Amazing the people you stumble across in here.....

Have you managed to nail Thistle Alley down yet? Have come across some entries in the 4th Suffolks diary for early August ref. supplying large working parties to continue work on the trench - all this prior to the 18th August attack on Wood Lane where our man Bedwell met his end.....