Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Purnells History of the First World War

Seadog

You might see some (old) prices on e-bay. I had a look a couple of years ago and they were going for well under £100, I think.

Bernard

• 5 years later...

good day all

i am new here

i have a complete set of purnells second world war...not bound with covers...one of my prize possesions.

i have never seen or been aware of purnells first world war....i do not believe it was issued here in south africa.

i am interested in finding out more .

i would like to obtain a complete set if possible but belive this would be rather costly....any advise is welcome

• 11 months later...

Hi folks,

i have a complete set of  Purnells History of the First World War that I would like to sell, can someone point me in the right direction? I have a few other rare WW1 books to go as well. Cheers Simon.

• 3 years later...
On 22/03/2011 at 11:26, Lancashire Fusilier said:

seadog,

I can answer both your questions, as about 2 months ago, I was able to buy a complete bound set of all 128 issues in their 8 Purnell blue binders on Ebay, at a cost of GBP 98, which I thought was really cheap.

The complete set is in immaculate condition, and each of the issues does have a special front cover intact.

For the issue that was to be the first in each Volume, that issue had a black cover with large white type " History of the First World War " Volume 1 ( through 8 )

However, each of the 128 issues did have a dedicated front cover. For example, Volume 2, the covers are :-

The Second Battle of Warsaw

Serbia - The September Campaign

The Battle of Coronel

The Air War

The War at Home

The Winter Carpathian Campaign

The Bombardment of the East Coast

Joffre's Winter Plans

U-Boats : Germany's Stranglehold on Britian

Defence of the Suez Canal

Neuve Chapelle

First Landings at Gallipoli

Campaign of Hate

Canadians at War

The Second Battle of Artois

Italy Enters the War

This being a total of 16 issues, with each having a cover detailing the issue as shown above, within each there were additional sub-sections on the topic.

I shall get around to publishing the index for each of the 8 volumes, that way, members can check what they have, and what is missing from that particular Volume.

I hope this helps. Should you have any questions, please let me know and I can refer to my set.

hi.. could you possibly tell me what the cover and issue number is for Volume 8 Number 8? It is slightly confusing as, for example, my issue no.66 'The Rendezvous With Death' has Volume 5 Number 2 inside the cover??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Incidentally I have used a loupe to look at the issue number on the cover of the above and it looks like 129 which it can't possibly be?...

Jamesh,

The index for Volume 8 covers issues Nos. 113 to 128

If you let me know the issue in question, I can give you the page numbers covered in that issue and their related issue sub-titles.

Kind regards,

LF

Jamesh,

I checked and double checked the index for volume 8, issues 113 to 128 and there is not an issue with the title 'Turkey from Empire to Republic'.

I also checked the index for volumes 6 & 7, again without success. Volume 8 tends to deal with matters relating to the end of WW1 and its aftermath.

In the index for volume 7, there is issue 109 (page 3050) entitled 'The Collapse of Turkey' and in volume 8 issue No. 120 (page 3351) there is 'The End of the Ottoman Empire', but nothing listed as 'Turkey from Empire to Republic'.

Kind regards,

LF

Thank you for that.. I think mystery solved! Going by your information it seems to be issue 120 as the Ottoman Empire article is in there.. I shall attempt to attach a photo 😊 

Thank you again for your help

All the best

James20220826_101106.jpg.62c28a722a620dd880f8f85942420742.jpg

James,

Issue 120 starts on page 3351, and the article was written by Norman Itzkowitz.

Pleased your query was solved.

Kind regards,

LF