Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Officer's Victory Medal

JOSTURM

Hoping someone can help me here.

I have a Victory Medal with some damage to the rim with acid, which makes the naming difficult to read.

The recipient was certainly a Second Lieutenant in the Royal Air Force with initials..J.T.

The surname looks like...DUPUY. but I am cannot find anything on him ?

Regards Josturm

Peter,

"Dupuy" may not be his surname. There are no RAF officers' service records under that name at the National Archives, in AIR 76, nor are there any

Medal Index Cards under this name. No NCOs with this name, either, in the RAF Muster Roll of April, 1918. Since he has a Victory Medal and

served overseas, he should have a MIC--and probably does, under his correct surname. Despite the acid damage, look again and see

whether or not you can discern the surname,

Regards

Trelawney

Bear in mind that the AIR 76 collection is not currently available while the images are replaced with higher res scans. A nil return at th emoment doesn't mean anything. That said Ican't find any candidates in the London Gazette either

Peter,

"Dupuy" may not be his surname. There are no RAF officers' service records under that name at the National Archives, in AIR 76, nor are there any

Medal Index Cards under this name. No NCOs with this name, either, in the RAF Muster Roll of April, 1918. Since he has a Victory Medal and

served overseas, he should have a MIC--and probably does, under his correct surname. Despite the acid damage, look again and see

whether or not you can discern the surname,

Regards

Trelawney

Hi Trelawney,

I have looked again under a magnifier and its really quite difficult to make out.

Clearly the rank is Lieutenant and the initials JT and in the RAF.

The surname certainly looks to be of 5 letters of which the last is a 'Y', the third could be a 'P' or maybe an 'R' and the first could be a 'D'- the second and fourth letters are less obvious. Fourth letter could possibly be an 'H'. Second and Fourth letters both seem to clearly have two sets of vertical lines.

Are there any men in the records starting 'D_P_Y' or D_R_Y. Initials JT ?

This is frustrating and baffling.

regards Peter

Peter

There is a probationary officer - 2nd Lt J T Dupny in the April 1918 RAF list. This could well be the man whose medal you have.

Best Regards

Mark

Peter

There is a probationary officer - 2nd Lt J T Dupny in the April 1918 RAF list. This could well be the man whose medal you have.

Best Regards

Mark

Mark,

thank you very much for this - DUPNY is a variation I woundn't have guessed. Strange surname.

However, I still can't find him on the Medal Index Cards, or BMD's and Census.

Do you have any further information on him ?

Regards

Peter

Mark,

Flight has an entry for him in the 23 Ocober 1917 edition under Royal Naval Air Service; this announces his appointment (amongst many others) as a Probationary Flight Officer (Temp) with a seniority date of 22 October.

Mark,

thank you very much for this - DUPNY is a variation I woundn't have guessed. Strange surname.

However, I still can't find him on the Medal Index Cards, or BMD's and Census.

Do you have any further information on him ?

Regards

Peter

No problem Peter, unfortunately I don't have any more info on him, just had a look through the RAF list for a possible match.

However Lyffe has obviously found a Flight reference for him.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

Flight has an entry for him in the 23 Ocober 1917 edition under Royal Naval Air Service; this announces his appointment (amongst many others) as a Probationary Flight Officer (Temp) with a seniority date of 22 October.