The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Stormcloud

mkr

Hi. I am trying to find out more about my great grandfather Ernest Rundle who died of pneumonia on 16th June 1925. He was a chief petty officer and his last ship was the Stormcloud. He joined the navy in 1904 aged 18 and trained at HMS Impregnable. Other ships mentioned in his revords are Defiance, Vivid 1 and Columbine. During the war Maidstone, Dolphin Lucia and Cumberland are listed. I wondered if anyone could shed any light on how these ships were involved in the war and why he changed ships so often. I'd also like to find out more about conditions in 1925 as he died pretty young. All tips/help would be much appreciated.

I'm afraid I can't help on the naval historical side but on the medical side I would suggest that pneumonia may not necessarily have been an indicator of particularly bad conditions.

In the absence of penicillin and streptomycin (not developed until the 1940s) pneumonia was just that much more likely to kill you if you caught it, and as it can be a secondary development of bronchitis and influenza (also measles, though less likely) you can see that the risk factor was quite high.

seaJane

I'm almost sure that some of the ships mentioned were depot ships and were not involved in fighting as such

Cheers Ron

IMPREGNABLE was a Boys' Training Ship at Devonport. Is there any Boys service noted on his service record before age 18?

DEFIANCE was a Training Establishment at Devonport.

VIVID 1 was the RN Barracks at Devonport.

COLUMBINE was a Depot Ship at Rosyth/Port Edgar 1913 to c.1927.

MAIDSTONE was a Submarine Depot Ship.

DOLPHIN was the Submarine Depot & School at Gosport.

LUCIA was a Submarine Depot Ship.

CUMBERLAND was an Armoured Cruiser 1902-21. 5th Cruiser Squadron, West Africa 1914, 6th CS Grand Fleet 1914-15, North America & West Indies Station 1915-18.

Regarding the Depot Ships is there anything in brackets written after these ships?

STORMCLOUD was a Destroyer in service from 1917-1934.

This is really helpful Thank you. I am trying to work out how to upload his service record so those of you who understand them can have a look. There are some ships names in brackets and also details of a medal. His service number is 217987

Hi mkr,

Some tips on uploading images in this previous post: Click Here

Cheers, Terry

mkr,

Unfortunately the images are too small to read accurately.

If you reply to this you will have made 5 posts which lets you use the PM facility. If you wish, you can then send me the images.

David.

mkr,

Your great-grandfather enlisted as a Boy 2nd class at IMPREGNABLE on 12/11/01.

Boy 1st class 31/7/02.

Ordinary Seaman [start of adult service] 16/1/04.

Able Seaman 13/4/05.

Leading Seaman 19/3/12.

Petty Officer [new system] 29/5/13.

Chief Petty Officer 1/7/20.

Sub-Ratings are,

T.M. Trained Man.

S.T. Seaman Torpedoman.

T.C. Torpedo Coxswain.

First Good Conduct Badge granted 18/1/07, second 17/1/12, third 15/1/17. He was awarded the RN Long Service Good Conduct Medal [Traced Medal 21/3/19]. He died at South Queensferry Hospital.

Regarding the attached part of his service record, FORTH, ADAMANT, MAIDSTONE & LUCIA were all submarine depot ships. They all have a List No of 12, "Officers & men borne for service in tenders". The tenders for submarine depot ships would be submarines. He also has service in Submarine B.11 1/1/16 - 1/2/16. EGMONT was the base ship at Malta, QUEEN the base ship at Taranto, BLENHEIM a destroyer depot ship in the Med., & ADAMANT was in the Med.

post-21239-0-71776300-1301098974.jpg

Thank you so much. Your help is very much appreciated as these records are hard to decipher when you dont know what letters mean etc!!! Now I can get a true picture of his life.

You are welcome.

On this site there are some submarine experts who might be able to help you further, so if you don't have any further help on this thread it may be worth you starting another thread here in Ships & Navies.

e.g.

ERNEST RUNDLE

Help with submarine service.

As a lot of his service is pre & post Great War it would probably be against Forum rules to include it here, but if you wish I can help you with it via PM.

David.

Thank you David. Any help you can give is much appreciated. I have found info about some of the ships. Can you tell me what the list and number columns refer to?

Thank you David. Any help you can give is much appreciated. I have found info about some of the ships. Can you tell me what the list and number columns refer to?

The left hand column refers to Pay Ledger Lists & the right hand column is his place on that list.

David.