Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Dorset Memorial on the Somme

Seadog

The on-line version of "Britain at War" magazine includes the following article and I thought that any members in the locality on the day, 7th May 2011 may like to attend the ceremony. No timing details as yet but no doubt members will contact the museum as mentionaed for those.

Dorset Memorial

Ps I have not seen this on the forum yet though of course it may already have been reported.

Norman

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was able to tell a client whose relative was killed on 1 July whilst serving with the 1st Battalion all about it. He is delighted with the news. I see that the Dorset & South Wiltshire branch of the WFA branch website has location details etc. Well worth a look. http://www.wfa-dorsetswilts.org.uk/war-memorials/dorset-regiment2.htm#

There is also a dedicated site for the memorial: http://dorsetmemoria...uk/default.aspx

• Admin

Thanks for flagging this up. Jeremy and I know someone who will be interested in this.

Michelle

Many thanks for the additional info Jeremy and it is a pleasure Michelle.

Regards

Norman

PS: This area is of great interest to me. It is good to walk from the Memorial at Thiepval on the path which cuts through the Leipzig Redoubt onto Lonsdale CWGC then through the wood to Blighty Valley CWGC hence to Authuille and finally a visit to Authuille CWGC on the banks of the Ancre. I have walked this in the very early morning and the experience was well worth the effort. The location for the new memorial is excellent.

• 5 weeks later...

Just over two weeks to go until the dedication of the Dorset Great War Memorial on Sat 7 May so I thought it might be helpful for those who might be interested in attending and who might be in the area at that time if I pushed this thread to the top of pile and mentioned, again, the details which can be found at the Dorset and South Wiltshire WFA branch website, here: http://www.wfa-dorsetswilts.org.uk/war-memorials/dorset-regiment2.htm

With best wishes,

David

Thanks for bringing this back to the top. I'll be in the area and will make every effort to be there.

Keith

Dorset Great War Memorial on BBC TV -

The memorial was covered on BBC Breakfast this morning and my contact on the Dorset Great War Memorial committee tells me that there will be a piece on BBC 1 South Today from 1830 today, 21 April. Also on BBC1 South West at same time.

Hope this is of interest.

With best wishes,

David

• 2 weeks later...

One week to go until the dedication of the Dorset Great War Memorial on Sat 7 May so I thought it might be helpful for those who might be interested in attending and who might be in the area at that time if I pushed this thread to the top of pile and mentioned, again, the details which can be found at the Dorset and South Wiltshire WFA branch website, here: http://www.wfa-dorse...t-regiment2.htm

With best wishes,

David

Thanks David I look forward to seeing some photos of the event hopefully on the forum though no doubt also on the other web sites already mentioned.

Regards

Norman

• 4 weeks later...

Last sunday I've visited the Somme (again) and took some photos of this memorial.

Last sunday I've visited the Somme (again) and took some photos of this memorial.

post-4083-0-15887000-1306403620.jpg