Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zillebeke Lake Pictures

timmynich_67

Hi folks,

I'm going to Belgium to see some of the places where my Great Grandad was posted.

I read recently that immediately before being sent to Italy with the 7th Division, his unit was in dugouts around Zillebeke lake. Does anyone have any pictures of the lake and it's dugouts in 1917?

I understand that the dugouts were on the western edge of the lake, and that you can walk around it, but I'd like to see it as it was, first.

Thanks for your help,

Tim

Sorry, Tim, I have no pictures that could be useful to you.

But let it be a consolation : I'll be thinking of you this afternoon during my Round Zillebeke Lake walk starting on the west bank. :-)

But this may be of some interest to you :

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89343&st=0&p=831677&hl=+zillebeke%20+lake%20+dugouts&fromsearch=1entry831677

Aurel

And maybe this too :

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123472&st=0&p=1309349&hl=+zillebeke%20+lake%20+dugouts&fromsearch=1entry1309349

It's about Manor Farm (east half of the lake), but halfway the page there is a posting of member Iain McHenry mentioning a book in which information about the west bank dugouts.

Aurel

Tim,

For lack (?) of historical pics so far I'm afraid you will have to do with 21 March 2011 pics for now.

West side (southern half of it) of the west bank of the lake. Trench and dugouts were at the foot. The lake itself is behind the trees.

Aurel

2nd pic the same, from a different angle.

post-92-0-11072400-1300729470.jpg

post-92-0-05901800-1300729532.jpg

And a 3rd one, standing near the southwest corner of the lake, looking north on the west bank.

And enjoying this wonderful first springtime day. :-)

Aurel

post-92-0-99752400-1300730126.jpg

Aurel

Thanks very much for your pictures and links - all very informative. The embankment looks quite substantial - can't wait to have a look round it!

You've been lucky with the weather too, it looks like a lovely day you had. I hope it's kept up for you.

It's a coincidence that you're over there now. I'd be interested to see any other pictures that you take from the trip. I'll keep my eye open for posts.

Thanks again for the help.

Please let me know if you recommend any of the local areas of interest. I know there's lots to see but I'll only be there for a few hours, sadly.

Kind regards,

Tim

Aurel,

I've completely presumed you're at Zillebeke on a trip! Very presumptious of me as looking back at your replies, you don't mention this at all. I'm obviously in holiday mode and just thinking everyone else is doing what I'm planning to do in May!

Sorry about that. :blush:

So having apologised I may as well ask. Are you on holiday, or do you have the pleasure of walking round Zillebeke lake whenever you like?

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

Actually it's not a coincidence I was there. I live near Ypres (Boezinge, just north of it), and am near Zillebeke Lake (southeast of the town) 4 times a week.

So I see WW1 "every hour of the day". :-)

You are there only a couple of hours ?

So frustrating ....

Aurel

P.S. Do you know of other places where your great grandad was near Ypres ?

Tim

As Aurel has helped you, he has helped many others on this forum - including me on many occasions. He is very modest about his knowledge of the Ieper area. You need to join the queue to buy him a (Belgian) beer. :thumbsup:

Roger

Tim

If you send me a pm or email, then i may be able to help with your original request.

Chris