Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Fusiliers

Hello All,

I'm looking for help and guidance in trying to gather as much information on my Great Uncle who fell at Ypres on 06 APR 15. Prior to being introduced to this forum I have gathered the following Information from family and the web.

Arthur Freer 10895

Cpl or Lance Corporal also some reference to Acting Corporal.

1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers

B Company

I believe 9th Brigade, 3rd Division.

Died 06 APR 15

CWGC state 'Missing'

I've downloaded the Medal Index Card which is shows Date of entry to Theatre as 03 Dec 14 and is also annotated K in A - I presume 'Killed in Action' Would this mean his death would have been witnessed and recorded somewhere and that his body became 'Missing' from then?

I am assuming that my Uncle would have been involved in the Second Battle of Ypres and I understand that this was the first time that Gas was used in the Great War. I would like to try and piece together as much information on where he might have been within the Ypres Salient. What Action he may have been involved in and what events took place that day that may account for his death. I don't know if I'm being naive as to what other recorded information may survive but any help would be appreciated.

Also my family are from Leicester as was my Uncle - born just across the street from the old 'Leicester Regiment' Barracks. He was a soldier prior to the war He joined sometime in 1913. Why would he be in the RSF's? Were men simply sent where they were required? or would he have had a choice of which Regiment to serve in?

I have included a photograph of my uncle (second from right back row) and a scan of the Leicester Mercury announcement of his death. These are the only reference material that have survived the years, along with the envelope which carried the telegram of his death and the printed cover which would have accompanied the letter (which I cannot find)

Many thanks in anticipation.....Maxine Hibbert

combined.tif

Sorry pal,

the second Ypres started on 22 april with the gas attack.

So you uncle died before!

Maxine,

1st Gordon Highlanders were in the same Brigade and their War Diary is on-line at

http://www.thegordonhighlanders.co.uk/Page...ary.htm#1915Apr

It gives the impression of a ' quiet ' sector so your G Uncle may have been a trench warfare casualty, shellfire, sniper or similar. He may also have been lost ' on patrol ' - the 1st RSF War Diary may give a clue. It is possible he was buried originally but the grave was lost as the battles went back and forth over the position in the later stages of the war. The extract from the Gordon's diary is below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March saw further alternating relief at billets, with trenches near Vierstraat,

with casualties from shelling. Later relieved by 1st Royal Scots and Suffolks,

with Bn relieving Camerons 18th March at Vierstraat. Losses of two and three

men from snipers and shelling.

April continued with occupation of trenches north of Vierstraat; relieved by

Worcestershire Regt. Back in billets at La Clytte. Mid April, quiet virtually

no casualties. Half Bn in billets and half in trenches, quiet continued until

22nd April, first reports of gas being used. Month ended as before, few casualties.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what 'virtually no casualties ' really meant! :(

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm,

I've tried to get more info online for information on the RSF's. It's probably me not searching effeciently but I never seem to get a good hit.

Maxine

I'm afraid I can't add anything helpful but I was interested to note that your Great Uncle served in the same battalion as mine & went to France with the same draft on 3rd December 1914. My Great Uncle & his family were also from Leicester (Aylestone) & I wonder if their paths ever crossed.

Maxine,

Have you contacted the RSF museum? They are at;

Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum,

518 Sauchiehall Street,

Glasgow G2 3LW.

Telephone :- 0141 332 0961

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm, :)

I haven't yet cotacted the museum simply because Dave and I will be moving to Aberdeenshire in the next month. I was hoping to gather as much info before and then visit the museum and really 'fill in the gaps' I think I could probably get more out several visits. It'll be alot easier when we're living there than here in Leicestershire.

Could you arrange for some warm weather for us please prior to our move? ;)

Will O'Brien'

Please excuse what maybe a stupid question, Would your Gt Uncle have been a RSF's also? Did Regiments have recruitment drives all over the country? I have photograph of my Uncle with some of his pals, I now realise it hasn't saved very well in the attachment to my thread, I can send a better one if you want to look for your Uncle, It won't be too large an attachment.

Regards maxine

Will O'Brien'

Please excuse what maybe a stupid question, Would your Gt Uncle have been a RSF's also? Did Regiments have recruitment drives all over the country? I have photograph of my Uncle with some of his pals, I now realise it hasn't saved very well in the attachment to my thread, I can send a better one if you want to look for your Uncle, It won't be too large an attachment.

Regards maxine

Maxine...............Yes sorry if I didn't make myself clear, my Great Uncle served with the Royal Scots Fusiliers..............Most infantry regiments were what is best termed 'County' regiments i.e. they drew the majority of their recruits from that particular county & their battalion depots were usually within the county. There are other 'Non County' regiments however these generally still drew recruits from specific areas that had some sort of connection to the regiment. I don't know what the Royal Scots Fusiliers connection was to Leicester, however I know that many RSF soldiers came from the city. I know my Great Uncle chose a Scottish Regiment because my Great Grandmothers family was originally from Scotland (although she herself was also Leicester born)

I would love to have a look at the photo. Whilst its unlikely Great Uncle Harry is on it you never know B) & anyway whether he's there or not it’s always nice to see these little snippets of history............You can drop me an email with it attached.

Regards

Will