Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Wilsons from Scotland

ph0ebus

Hi all,

Though many of my posts have been related to the German side of the family and those members who served in the Great War, I know precious little about any family on the Scottish side of the family who may have served; if fact, I know of no one who did, which strikes me as odd, and makes me consider that I am missing something. I have read the LLT, and searched Ancestry, and the NA to no avail, and feel a bit frustrated.

So, these are some of the Wilsons who were of the right age who I suspect may have served. It is a bit of a 'hail mary pass' but I hope perhaps someone might help me figure out if there is anything to find.

Peter Wilson born 1896 in Grangemouth, Strlingshire, son of David and Catherine Wilson

John Wilson, brother of Peter, born 1888

James Wilson, son of Charles and ????. Estimated birth year 1898, give or take. Probably from North Norris, Stirlingshire, Scotland

John Wilson (James' brother), exact birth year unknown. Probably hailed from North Norris, Stirlingshire, Scotland.

David Wilson, b. 1891, Auchterderran, Fifeshire, Scotland, son of Alexander and Elizabeth Wilson

David Wilson, b. 1881 in Ballingry, Fifeshire, Scotland, Son of David and Ann Wilson

Thomas Wilson, (David's brother), b. 1885 in Ballingry, Fifeshire, Scotland

As you can see I have no precise DOBs for any of them, which is hampering things. I also have no years of death for any of them. Shall I give up until I can establish specific DOBs or is there some hope to find something with the above? There are actually more Wilsons to look for, but starting with seven is plenty, I would think!

:whistle:

Thanks,

-Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Here you go

1901 Scotland:

Peter and John - sons of David and Catherine = Grangemouth, Stirlingshire

Peter S Wilson

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896

Relationship: Son

Father's Name: David Wilson

Mother's Name: Catherine Wilson

Where born: Grangemouth, Stirlingshire

Registration Number: 481B/2

Registration district: Grangemouth

Civil parish: Grangemouth

Town: Grangemouth

County: Stirlingshire

Address: 29 Union Places

ED: 3

Household schedule number: 27

Line: 14

Roll: CSSCT1901_158

Household Members:

Name Age

David Wilson 37

Catherine Wilson 28

John Wilson 13

Peter S Wilson 5

David Wilson 3

Catherine Wilson 1

Marion M Wilson 1 MO

1901 Scotland David - son of Alexander and Elizabeth Auchterderran, Fife

David Wilson

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891

Father's Name: Alexander Wilson

Mother's Name: Elizabeth Brown

Where born: Lochgelly, Fife

Registration Number: 405

Registration district: Auchterderran

Civil parish: Auchterderran

County: Fife

Address: 3 Brewery Court

ED: 5

Household schedule number: 46

Line: 13

Roll: CSSCT1901_129

Household Members:

Name Age

Alexander Wilson 36

Elizabeth Brown 32

David Wilson 10

Elizabeth Wilson 8

Alexander Wilson 3

Jane Wilson 1

1901 Scotland - David and Thomas(Thomson) sons of David and Ann born Balingry Fifeshire

David Wilson

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881

Father's Name: David Wilson

Mother's Name: Ann Wilson

Where born: Ballingry, Fife

Registration Number: 410

Registration district: Beath

Civil parish: Beath

County: Fife

Address: 16 Croall Pl

ED: 2

Household schedule number: 66

Line: 7

Roll: CSSCT1901_131

Household Members:

Name Age

David Wilson 50

Ann Wilson 46

James Wilson 22

David Wilson 20

Thomson Wilson 16

Lizzie Wilson 12

Janet Wilson 11

Marjory Wilson 9

John Wilson 7

Richard Wilson 2

Cannot find anyone called James born abt 1898 with a brother John (both born North Norris in Stirlingshire) with a parent Charles.

(no James or John born or residing in stirlingshire)

Daniel

The only James I could find with a brother John and father Charles in 1901 Scotland is the following:

James Wilson

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1901

Father's Name: Charles Wilson

Mother's Name: Mary Wilson

Where born: Paisley, Renfrewshire

Registration Number: 573/1

Registration district: Paisley

Civil parish: Paisley

County: Renfrewshire

Address: 1 Well St

ED: 42

Household schedule number: 1

Line: 9

Roll: CSSCT1901_206

Household Members:

Name Age

Charles Wilson 47

Mary Wilson 39

Charles Wilson 14

Mary Wilson 12

Rebecca Wilson 10

Andrew Wilson 6

Isabella Wilson 4

John Wilson 2

James Wilson 2 Mos

Jeanie Milne 22

I have not got a clue as to where Renfrewshire is in relation to North Norris or Sterlingshire. This is all I could find.

Maybe if you have a bit more detail I can have a more thorough look.

Susan

>><<

I have not got a clue as to where Renfrewshire is in relation to North Norris or Sterlingshire. This is all I could find.

Maybe if you have a bit more detail I can have a more thorough look.

Susan

County map of Scotland should do the job. In the 19th Century There was a fair amount of internal migration from (west - rural) Stirlingshire to (Urban) Glasgow - which spans parts of Dunbartonshire (North Bank) Renfrewshire (South Bank) and possibly North Lanarkshire. I am not sure about "North Norris" - I can't find it in any gazatteer, either it is a very small hamlet or possibly a transcription error.

ScotlandsPeople - Scottish genealogy, census and family research is a (pay as you go) site which is often useful. You can get a fairway with the indices before needing to pay.

David

Well, Daniel, Hail Mary's often work - at least at Notre Dame :innocent: . As I did earlier, I endorse David's suggestion of Scotland's People. Norrieston is near Stirling. I shall undertake a more detailed search over the weekend. There are many tiny mining villages and farm/crofts in the area. Cheers, Antony

It would appear that no one by the name of Wilson who lived in the parish of Norrieston was killed in WW1 , here is the memorial

John

Hi all,

Wow, I am already learning a lot and I am happy that no Wilsons perished from Norrieston. Charles is a bit of an enigma. I checked with my uncle who is better versed on the Wilson line and he has the following information, presumably from the census for Charles: Scholar (1891), Signalman Railway (1901). He does not have the actual census images, so I don't know if this will help pin him down or not. Susan, that might very well be him you found. I will talk with my uncle more to see if there are any bits of info he has that might either rule him in or out.

There were quite a few siblings above my uncle and I were unaware of, so even if this is as far as we get in this line of enquiry it was greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

-Daniel

hi dan;this is a bit off topic but my brother in law was james f.wilson.he is the third generation of ancestors with the same name plus his son (my nephew)also has the same name.my wilsons setteled im maine and mass.plus other parts of new england.do you think there might be a connection.my brother in law was born and lived for his younger years in glaucester,mass.before their family moved to boston.one of the james f.wilsons died at sea.he was a fisherman.his wife remarried and her new marriage name was joyce.im in boston.any connection? regards ed

hi dan;this is a bit off topic but my brother in law was james f.wilson.he is the third generation of ancestors with the same name plus his son (my nephew)also has the same name.my wilsons setteled im maine and mass.plus other parts of new england.do you think there might be a connection.my brother in law was born and lived for his younger years in glaucester,mass.before their family moved to boston.one of the james f.wilsons died at sea.he was a fisherman.his wife remarried and her new marriage name was joyce.im in boston.any connection? regards ed

Hi Ed,

Very well could be...there certainly were a *lot* of Wilsons in my tree. At the moment I have 6 James Wilsons in my tree. The Charles Wilson we have been discussing had a son named James. Some came to the USA, some stayed behind. Who was James F Wilson's father and grandfather? If you have their names and approximate DOBs I can see if anything matches up. For me the chain of ancestry goes like this:

Alexander Wilson (my great grandfather) 1873-1963 from Bellsdyke, Both Kenner, Stirling, Scotland

John Wilson (his dad) 1842-1920 from Clackmannan, Clackmannanshire, Scotland

David Wilson (his dad) 1807-???? from Larbert, Stirling, Clackmannan, Clackmannanshire, or Kinnairp, Stirlingshire, Scotland (he had a son James who named his son James...)

Peter Wilson (his dad) 1778 - ???? from Larbert, Stirling, Scotland

Robert Wilson (his dad) 1757-???? from Tillicoultry, Clackmannan, Scotland

James Wilson (his dad) 1727-???? from Tillicoultry, Clackmannan, Scotland

If any of these match up I would be most interested is catching up!

-Daniel

Could this lad be Peter? I don't know if his mothers maiden name was Morrison, it was commonplace to have your mum's maiden name as a middle name.

John

Surname WILSON

Firstname Peter Morrison

Service Number 267778

Date Death 23/04/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Stirling

Other 6th Bn.

SNWM roll THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS)

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

It would appear that no one by the name of Wilson who lived in the parish of Norrieston was killed in WW1 , here is the memorial

John

Thanks, John. I was trawling the OS maps of the Stirling area (I have a dislike of "shires" in Scotland) to try and help Daniel but had to go off to coach a referee early (all the games were put forward so we could watch Scotland win in peace :whistle: ). I can rule out Norrieston but will look for more Norrie, Norris etc tomorrow. Yours aye, Antony

Could this lad be Peter? I don't know if his mothers maiden name was Morrison, it was commonplace to have your mum's maiden name as a middle name.

John

Hi John,

I actually do not have his mother's maiden name, so I am not sure. If I can figure that bit out then I can either rule this fellow in or rule him out. The 1901 Census (which I cannot see via Ancestry) appears to just have her married name and not her maiden name.

Thanks for checking!!

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Marshall, not sure why your post did not go through, but indeed, no further progress on this front. I must admit I was sidetracked by the possible rediscovery of my great grandfather's grave, a thread about which is in Skindles...my attention has been there as of late.

Once that is resolved, back to the Scottish side of the family!

Daniel

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

Back to this thread, after a little time researching other branches. All that I have that is new since then, sadly, is that John Wilson born 1888 was born in Grangemouth, Stirlingshire, Scotland. My uncle does not have more precise dates, it seems, but he and some other family are looking through their stuff to see if we can get some things more concrete.

My thanks to each of you who have contributed to this thread so far....and the quest continues!

-Daniel

I just ran every one of the above through Ancestry UK (today being their free day for downloading British Army records) with the available information and totally struck out. I found one John Wilson's enlistment papers, born 1888 and living in a Poorhouse but there is nothing in that document to tell me he is my relation. Back to square one.

-Daniel

Hello All,

This thread certainly caught my eye, as I too am searching for Wilson ancestors from Scotland. These Wilsons came from the Dundee area, which I think is in a different part of Scotland to all those mentioned in the posts above.

The soldier I am tracking is 175 George Raymond (Ray) Wilson, born 1886 in Helensborough (plus a twin brother, Thomas Harold Wilson), who served in the AIF with 3rd Field Ambulance as a stretcher-bearer on Gallipoli and then later as a Staff Sergeant in charge of AIF Dental stores in Portsmouth. His parents were the Rev. George Armitstead Wilson (born 1857, Dundee) and wife Agnes Bennett Watson (no d.o.b. known), who were married in 1883.

I have his AIF service file, so there are no questions regarding that period of his life. My question is this - can anyone with better access to the Scottish records of one kind or another prove or disprove the family story that he served in the Territorials - possibly RAMC, Dental Branch - before emigrating to Australia in 1912?

This previous Territorial service, if true, may explain why he was able to transfer to the Australian version of the dental corps when the AIF moved from Egypt to the Western Front theatre in early 1916.

Getting access to pre-War UK Territorial records is difficult from Down Under to say the least!!

Any information would be greatly appreciated, especially from those members who have been so helpful to Phoebus.

Regards,

Black

phOebus,My mothers maiden name was Wilson, and she was born in the parish of Dalserth in Lanarkshire, it is my understanding , that her father and uncles were all in reserved occupations, mining, so did not enlist. Perhaps your relatives were too.

Regards

Alan

Phoebus

Did you know the 1911 Scottish census is now online? It's here http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ with Census records every 10 years from 1841onwards which is pay as you go, you'll also get Birth Marriage and Death entries which are scanned images of the handwritten Registers from 1855 and are the envy of geneologists worldwide.

Birth entries crucially give parents Date and Place of Marriage and Mother maiden name.

Marriage entries give address', age and professions of the couple, they also list parent's names (including mothers Maiden names), whether they are alive or deceased, Mothers Maiden Names and the Fathers professions.

Death records give the same parental detail as Marriage records, they only give an age, not a date of birth (there can be inaccuracies here because of lack of knowledge of the person registering the Death), it also lists the person registering the Death and their relation to the deceased, a usual address for the deceased and a place of death if different, care has to be taken as deaths had to be registered in the Parish where the person Died, in the cases of Deaths in Hospital, at work etc this may have been a different parish to where they lived.

Finally you can get images on there pre-1855 of Parish Birth, Marrriage and Death records, but they have very little info, especially the latter.

If you can get addresses from the 1911 census for relatives who you think may have served and they lived in Larbert, Stenhousemuir, Falkirk or Grangemouth areas, I work in Larbert and could check the absent voters roll in Falkirk Library (if they have them). Same thing goes for your Robert Finlayson relative in your other thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173788&st=0&p=1688766&fromsearch=1entry1688766

Sam

Name: George Armitstead Wilson

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858

Relationship: Head

Spouse's name : Agnes Wilson

Where born: Lochee, Forfarshire

Registration Number: 503

Registration district: Row

Civil parish: Row

Town: Helensgh

County: Dumbartonshire

Address: 168 E King St

ED: 1

Household schedule number: 70

Line: 5

Roll: CSSCT1891_163

Household Members: Name Age

George Armitstead Wilson 33

Agnes Wilson 34

John Wilson 6

George Wilson 4

Thomas H Wilson 4

Evelyn C Wilson 3

Zillalie M Wilson 2

Catherine W Watson 74

Annie H McLauchlin 16

This is the 1891 Census,as you can see George A was born in Lochee just outside Dundee (but now part of Dundee).

• 6 years later...

Hello. 

I have just came across this thread whilst carrying out my researches. My maternal great grand parents were Wilson's. 

Peter  Wilson was my Great Grandfather, he married Jess McNab and had 5 children. After his spell in the military we became a Baker and worked in Grangemouth, he passed away in 1940 in Grangemouth  sadly the last of their children passed away last year (my Grandmother)

Hope this helps 

William Mctaggart

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:04, Wulliemct said:

Hello. 

I have just came across this thread whilst carrying out my researches. My maternal great grand parents were Wilson's. 

Peter  Wilson was my Great Grandfather, he married Jess McNab and had 5 children. After his spell in the military we became a Baker and worked in Grangemouth, he passed away in 1940 in Grangemouth  sadly the last of their children passed away last year (my Grandmother)

Hope this helps 

William Mctaggart

Hi William,

Just seeing your post after having been away for the forum for some time.  I have a few Peter Wilsons in my tree.  Was he born perhaps in 1880?  I have a relation born that year in Bothkennar for whom I do not have much information.  I believe the others have attached spouses, none of whom were named Jess.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daniel 

Apologies for the delay. 

Just looking through my Family tree and I see the following 

John Wilson  1842-1920 from Clackmannan, Clackmannanshire, Scotland marries Marion McLean 1840-1901

one of their son's is Alexander Wilson  1873-1963 from Bellsdyke, Bothkenner, Stirling, Scotland, I think this is the Alexander WIlson who is your relative.

Alexander Wilson had an older brother  David Wilson born 1864 in Airth (next village to Bothkenner) he is my 2nd Great Grandfather. 

David Wilson b 1864 marries his second wife Catherine Gordon Wilson  and they have 4 children together

Peter born 1896 (my Great Grandfather)

David born 1897, he died during the battle of Galliopi WW1 at the age of 17

Catherine born 1899

Marion born 1901 

Hope this helps 

Kind regards 

William