Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lost memorial - now found

eviltaxman

I have been advised, by a retired stonemason, that as part of the possible treatment to clean the "rust" marks, the plaque can/will be thinly coated in some sort of protective resin.

Ah - Which hopefully will also give some protection from the aerosol mob!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Alfred Ernest Farrington born 25th March 1895 died in Greece on 24th April 1917 whilst serving as a Sergeant with the Worcestershire Regiment.

The Farrington family had several long term servicemen and Alfred's grandfather Sidney was at Fulwood Barracks at the same time as Patrick McCaffrey in 1861.

Patrick was hung in Liverpool in 1862 for shooting his Colonel and Adjutant with one bullet and was immortalized by a song that was popular with soldiers during WWI.

http://mysongbook.de...m/mccaffer.html

http://www.qlrmuseum...k/McCaffery.htm

http://www.qlrmuseum...od_barracks.htm

Kudos to my contact Charles for sharing this!

QUOTE: "some sort of protective resin".

I am no expert in conservation but many of Liverpool's fine bronze statues have been treated in this way, probably with the best of intent after years of neglect, and the results are not very impressive.

It may work better on marble.

D

R McDowell is a little difficult to track down but I have this photo from Avon View Cemetery of Henry Richard McDowell's CWGC Headstone who served on HMS Vivid.

Henry was the son of Hugh and Martha nee McCarthy and lived in St Silus. Could he be R McDowell?

post-67339-0-88111000-1303840341.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Leonard Hill was either adopted or fostered by Charles Watts Case and his wife Mary Celia, their son Charles Henry James Case is also commemorated on this Memorial.

Leonard died 3rd Nov 1918 and Charles died 12th Nov 1916.

• 2 weeks later...

Geneger - R McDowell is listed on both the St Silas School plaque and the large memorial, inside the RBL, for men of St Phillips. No other McDowell is listed so there is a good possibility that H R is our man.

Really intriguing thread.

I was wondering if you know the name of the church where the memorial was placed. and if so, if the local archives would have any church records which would help to establish the date of the memorial, and how the construction of the memorial was first funded.

If there were some dates,then it would also be easier to cross reference local papers.

Have been wondering if the school raised the money itself for the memorial. Again the local archives might have some relevant paper work which would help to identify the names on the memorial.

Wishing you success with the memorial restoration and well done for taking this on.

?

Yes, outside display is not recommended. I don't know what the daily atmosphere is like in Bristol these days (apart from a day visit in 2009 I have not been there since 1975!), but rainwater combines with chemicals in the air to make a rather nice and nasty acid that cuts into marble especially but other stones as well... One other thing, I certainly don't recommend giving it the City Museum - on my 2009 visit I saw that they haven't changed the Roman display I helped set up in about 1970...!!!

Trajan

• 6 years later...

Hi. I have just found out about this plaque, my relation is listed on it and I found out where it was last seen by a sheer coincidence . Where is the plaque now ?  I have a photo of it , I was going to get in touch with the Bristol museum or m shed museum about it and the need for it to be displayed . So it would be great if you could let me know what the plans are ? 

Hi again on reading the previous posts , I am not sure we are talking about the same plaque !!!?? As the one I have a photo of appears to be cast iron which would tie in with the place that it was originally displayed , the posts here refer to a marble one . So the one I have found could be another that's not been treated with the respect it and the people listed deserve.