Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SPIRIT OF THE CLAN

muckandbullets

This is another drawing from The Boys Own Annual 1919. It may interest some. This drawing is a time warp and one can see that it had been printed in that style just as THE GREAT WAR had ended. Having said that I do like the ancestors on the Scotsman shoulders urging the Soldier on.

post-60966-0-65852200-1309039022.jpg

And then they came home to the poverty and landlords' suppression that had driven so many of them to the Army in the first place. A land fit for . . . . . . . sheep. Antony

My great grandfather (and his family) had the good fortune (sense?) to leave Scotland in 1907; had he stayed, he likely would have ended up in the War. Once here he ended up working in the Brooklyn Navy Yard building ships, which kept him out of harms way for the duration of the war. I have had no luck tracing his family that remained over there during the war, largely as a function of each having a ridiculously common family name (Wilson) and no specific birth dates, just estimated birth years.

Sigh.

Great picture...thanks for sharing!

-Daniel

ARMAGH Joe, The small print does not relate to the drawing but does relate to THE GUARDIANS OF THE SHIELD which is another boys own story. THE SPIRIT OF THE CLAN appears to have been added in a adhoc way with no written explanation, only visual.

Piorum Antony, Yes that part of history was hard for many and easy for a few,( as at the time of Waterloo and the Crimea). On return from THE GREAT WAR, these brave soldiers should have had the respect they deserve. How it should have been "A LAND FIT FOR HEROES!!"

phOebus Daniel, Sorry to read you cannot trace your Grandfather, keep trying. No doubt you have tried Scotland and facebook under Wilson and other sites. You appear to be in the same Country and area where your Grandfather emigrated to. Just as a red herring have you ever considered he may have returned to Scotland ?

Hi Marshal,

I know he (Alexander Wilson, my great grandfather) stayed here in New York, he's buried in Queens, actually, not far from here. It is those he left behind in Scotland that are somewhat enigmatic. I don't even know who served during the Great War, if anyone. I would assume those of age did serve but with minimal identifying information available it is the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Thanks,

Daniel

My great grandfather (and his family) had the good fortune (sense?) to leave Scotland in 1907; had he stayed, he likely would have ended up in the War. Once here he ended up working in the Brooklyn Navy Yard building ships, which kept him out of harms way for the duration of the war. I have had no luck tracing his family that remained over there during the war, largely as a function of each having a ridiculously common family name (Wilson) and no specific birth dates, just estimated birth years.

Sigh.

Great picture...thanks for sharing!

-Daniel

Hello Daniel

Family of my wifes moved to Brookyln New York in 1928,the family lost touch,I used ROOTS a free site the family name was Quinn which is a common name here in Ireland,try it with details of the area they came from.

We are now in touch with the family,it took a couple of years

Joe

ARMAGH Joe, The small print does not relate to the drawing but does relate to THE GUARDIANS OF THE SHIELD which is another boys own story. THE SPIRIT OF THE CLAN appears to have been added in a adhoc way with no written explanation, only visual.

Piorum Antony, Yes that part of history was hard for many and easy for a few,( as at the time of Waterloo and the Crimea). On return from THE GREAT WAR, these brave soldiers should have had the respect they deserve. How it should have been "A LAND FIT FOR HEROES!!"

phOebus Daniel, Sorry to read you cannot trace your Grandfather, keep trying. No doubt you have tried Scotland and facebook under Wilson and other sites. You appear to be in the same Country and area where your Grandfather emigrated to. Just as a red herring have you ever considered he may have returned to Scotland ?

Thanks Marshal

Joe

phOebus Hi Daniel, just a quick line. I must focus, delete Grandfather add GREAT GRANDFATHER. Got the wrong end of the stick, now realise it is your Great Grandfathers family you are trying to trace and I believe you indicated they remained in Scotland. See ARMAGH, Joe, has given you a lead, hopefully someone somewhere on this site may also be able to add. Try The Scottish Parliament !! Regards

Daniel; have you used the government website Scotland's People? Antony

Hi Antony,

I have but have not had success. I just started a Wilsons thread in Soldiers, if folks are interested...here's hoping!

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

This is another drawing from The Boys Own Annual 1919. It may interest some. This drawing is a time warp and one can see that it had been printed in that style just as THE GREAT WAR had ended. Having said that I do like the ancestors on the Scotsman shoulders urging the Soldier on.

thats a great pic mate