Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt John W. Kerr AIF

Desmond7

I liked this little story from October 12, 1917 edition of the Ballymena Observer.

Family history research was alive and well .. even in WW1 !

Sgt. John Wilson Kerr of the AIF visted Ballymena last week, His grandfather emigrated from the district in 1854 taking with him his family, which included Sgt. Kerr's father, Robert Kerr who was then six years of age.

Robert Kerr was apprenticed to the 'Melbourne Argus' and subsequently started on his own account and founded the 'Cobden Times' in the town of Cobden 120 miles from Melbourne.

Sgt, Kerr assisted his father in the newspaper business and at the outbreak of war he joined the forces. He went to Gallipoli with the 1st Exped. Force where he was wounded and was later wounded in France, being at present on the Cadet School in England.

His home in Cobden is called 'Ballymena Cottage'. Sgt Kerr is anxious to trace his realtives in this district and would be glad to hear from our readers who may be able to help.

Imagine coming all the way around the world, ending up on the western front and spending your leave in Ballymena of all places?

Nothing special just a nice wee yarn.

Des

Hi Des

Nice story there. Quite a few of the soldiers I'm researching at the moment did similar things when they were in the UK for training or on leave. It seemed very important to them to trace their family heritage if their letters & diaries are any indication.

Cheers

Andrew

Guest dinkidi

G'day Des

You probably know that Mr Kerr didn't make it back to Cobden, which incidently, is about 25 miles from where I grew up. He was commissioned, and died the day after Anzac Day, 1918. I can't readily locate a photo of the Cobden Memorial, but note that he is remembered on a headstone in the Cobden Cemetry. Plots 988 & 989 were allocated to his parents Robert & Jessie. 990 records "Kerr, J W Lt., Killed in France 1918.

Yes got the email, it was 'filtered out' and I didn't recognise the family name. Will retreive it soon

Pat

Guest Desmond6

Lads - as you will appreciate, he is a 'bit too far removed' for me to 'claim' as a Ballymena man for my research. But I do plan to include him in the overall history.

Sad to hear that he died. I had not followed him up at all.

Des

Guest dinkidi

G'day Des [6 7 or 8]

Not claiming this one?

That's a surprise. Till now it seemed that anyone who was anyone in the AIF came from Ballyireland!

ooRoo

Pat

Tried lookin ... nope. no mad aussie deserters in the magistrates court. No hoods. No bankrobbin' rascals. all good sons of the soil. And there's a take for all you antipodean types!

Hooks and criminals ... horlicks. Your european-born Anzacs are all nice normal, church goin' lads from a good farming background. How's that for a sweeping generalisation.

ooRoo back at ya.

Crocodile Blackadder

Guest dinkidi

Bewdy Des!

Sweeping generalisation? Merely a statement of fact, meolechina.

'Course there has been the odd sweeping generalisation made from time to time.

Can't understand why they would be opposite to yours.

OOrOO [being forced to change my spots]

Pat

Guest stevenbec

Mate,

I have two soldiers from the ALH who claim a NOk in Ballymena Antrim Ireland.

They are;

Josias Alec Donelly Black from Dubbo NSW was a member of the Field Squadron Engineers in Egypt.

John McClelland Boyd Sgt 5 LHR was prom 2/Lt and finished the war as Maj MC 2xMID's he came from Longreach Qld.

He had a brother Norman in the 35th Bn AIF in France.

All survived the war, if you find any thing on these blokes I would be interested.

S.B

Guest Desmond6

Steven - I posted details of both Boyds and pics of them on a thread in soldiers just a week ago! Do a search for Boyd and see what you come up with. If you don't find it - post back here and I'll have a go!

des

have to check the other guy out. Thanks

BUM STEER! Look under 'Light Horse Action' in 'Other Theatres'.

Edited by Desmond6

Guest dinkidi

Desmond

Just found this pic in the St Bartholomew's Melbourne Diocese Newspaper.

The caption should read. "Some of the ex-Ballymeda men attending the Altar Boy Seminar at Broadmeadows Camp".

Would you like me to name them?

ooRoo

Pat

post-1-1088890147.jpg

From left, back row:- ..... should only take you about three days.

What about this 'Cobden' newspaper, does it still publish?

Yo-ho yaboyye, gawnyersel!

Des

Guest dinkidi

Back Row L-R

No 1234 Kelly, Edward. No1235 Kelly, Eddie. No 1236 Kelly Ed. ...

Front Row L- R

No1484 Kelly, Ned. ... No1576 Blackadder, Desmond 1

ooRoo

Pat

Guest dinkidi

Des

Cobden Times is still operative. It is now located, with other small regional papers, in the neighbouring centre of Camperdown.

Copies of most country newspapers are on fische in the Melbourne Library, so I'll have a quick trawl when next in town

ooRoo

Pat.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dinkidi

I really meant "The Kelly Gang" but why be pedantic.

I got to the State Library today & tracked down Lt Kerr's Death Notice.

The date was May 4, 1918.

post-1-1090410985.jpg

Guest dinkidi

and on May 22

"The following letter was received by Mrs R K Kerr, from her son Leuitenant J. W. Kerr, written in England prior to leaving for the front, where he has since paid the supreme sacrifice:-

As you can see the copies aren't too good.

In the letter he talks of a trip to Tiverton where he met two daughters of a Cobden Lady friend of the Kerrs.

He concluded with

"I will write more fully later on of my stay in 'Glorious Devon' "

ooRoo

Pat

post-1-1090411073.gif

Pat and all Anzacs - cheers! Still turning up the odd Ballymena Aussie so I'll keep posting 'em up.

BTW did you know that one of your less popular generals was born in a village just up the road from me?

Here's a clue, he was the son of a clergyman from the village of Ballynure, Co. Antrim.

Answer forthcoming .. but just thought I'd give youse all a puzzle!!

Des

McCay?

First prize to Chris!

"Major General the Hon. James Whitesie McCay CB, AIF, a son of the late Rev. Boyd McCay DD who many years ago was a prominent Ulster Presbyterian minister. Major Gen. McCay was born in Ballynure , Co. Antrim and has filled many important ministerial posts in the Commomwealth Parliament. He commanded the 2nd Aus. brigade at the Dardanelles where he was wounded, being subsequently awarded the C.B.. He now commands the Australian troops in the UK."

Ballymena Observer, Jan. 4 1918 (New Years Honours List)

I have the impression that General McCay was a liability???

Des

Guest dinkidi

Dessie the 8th!

You shamed me into a look up of YOUR General M'cay. I'm ashamed at my ignorance! He was in charge of the 2nd [Victorian] Brigade at Gallipoli , including the disaster of 2nd Krithia. That comprised 5th to 8th Battalions and therefore "our men" Kerr & Schwarer.

More importantly, he was OIC 5th Divn at Fromelles. [Check out that thread]. He certainly was unpopular after that stunt, mainly becaused he refused an offer of a formal truce to bring in the wounded. He also sacked one of the most popular officers in the AIF , Pope, after whom the Hill at Anzac was named. The reason was given as drunkenness, but it appears was literally dog tired. No review of the decision was allowed, 'cause they wanted to hush up the whole Fromelles affair.He seems to have got the sideways treatment after that.

If interested, his profile is at www.unsw.adfa.edu search under mcccay then look Pope up on the links from McCay.

ooRoo

Pat

'onya Chris!

Hi Pat

At least Monash knew how good Pope was and brought him back to France after McCay had tried to shift the Fromelles blame on to him and sent him back to Australia.

It was a pity Pope was later wounded at Messines while in command of the 52nd Battalion.

The 5th Div was glad to see the back of McCay and Talbot Hobbs who took over the leadership made the 5th Division one of the best of the AIF. Hobbs never seems to get enough credit though when compared to other divisional generals.

Cheers

Andrew

Guest dinkidi

Ta Andrew.

Apart from Pompey, "Generals aren't my thing".

it is of course impossible to get the picture, without noting their actions, but the politics, bitchiness, tacticts woteva just don't sink in.

Thanx

Pat