The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12525 L/Cpl Cecil Bodfish Leicestershire Regt

Mick Simpson

Hi All

On his MIC he has the date of entry into France as 29/7/15. So from looking at the LLT i assume he was 6th Bn. Can anyone confirm this by his Regt Niumber.

Also he was awrded a SWB F/A/983 (or G83) would this give a clue to his time of wounding? He was discharged 21/1/19.

Thanks & Rgds Mick S

Hello Mick,

Cecil was an original 110th Brigade man setting foot in France on the 29th July 1915, as you have already mentioned. He could have been with either the 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th Battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment, but looking at other numbers from around Cecil, I would say either the 6th or 8th. He would have enlisted on the 2nd September 1914 and I would assume in Leicestershire. I'm at work just now, but will check the battalion diaries when I get home for any mention of Cecil, as you probably know, other ranks very rarely get mentioned, but its always worth a try.

Regards. Llew.

Llew

Thanks very much, I appreciate the help. He was born in Northamptonshire but in 1911 he was living in Ashfordby, Melton Mowbray.

As an aside, I think i have come across his Brother Harold in the Military search on Ancestry but not fully estrablished it yet. But Harold's son Cecil George is on the Ashfordby village hall memorial, He was KiA with Gren Guards in 1944.

Rgds Mick S

Mick,

With that, I'm sure we can say Melton Mowbray for his place of enlistment then, 12521 enlisted there on the same day.

Llew.

Hello Mick,

After search the 6th, 7th, 8th & 9th Battalion, part transcribed, diaries there doesn't seem to be any mention of Cecil, it might just be worth starting a new topic in the look up section, asking if anyone going to Kew could check the medal or SWB roll for Cecil and get a confirmation on his battalion.

I did find this though, any relation?

7507 Pte. John Thomas Bodfish 1st Leicesters, kia 07.11.1914, born & enlisted Melton Mowbray, son of the late Mrs Mary Jane Bodfish.

The 1st Battalion diary records for the 7th November 1914,

(Sat) It was quiet until about 3.30pm, when a heavy bombardment was opened on C Coy trenches, no infantry attack. Casualties were four men killed and six wounded.

I've got an enlistment date of 07.10.1904. for John, so there will be service records available for him.

Regards. Llew.

Mick,

I'll make a note of Cecil's details and will see if anything comes up at the Leicestershire Records office. I can't promise you any sort of date as yet, but I've got some other look ups to do and also need to look for some of the Anstey men.

Regards. Llew.

Llew

Thanks for your effort and advice.

I looked at John and his service record but I am struggling to make the link which I am sure there is, It just may be further back.

For such an unusual name they are difficult to follow around this period. If i remember correctly he leaves his effects to Catherine Martin.

Martins seem to crop now and again. He had a brother George, sisters Mary Jane and Malbe and his father was George E who seems to have died early and Mary Jane(mother) was then living with a George Warren over two Census peroids.

I was never going to dig this deep into this part of the family but I came across another George Bodfish MBE, DCM. L/7196 Royal Fusiliers then 65633 MGCorps and tried to make the link which i think ive done, tenuously! A cousin of Cecil's Father Isaac.

Iv'e been Bodfishing ever since and it's driving me Bonkers!!! I'm hoping to meet few of the Northampton decendants in May at my Fathers 80th birthday. Just hope i get a few answers to some of my questions.

Rgds Mick

Mick,

I think the bonkers bit is what makes us all keep coming back for more :blink: .

All the best with your fishing and if I find anything more i'll come back to you.

Llew.

Mick,

I've got images of both St. Marys Church memorial, Melton and Melton Mowbray memorial, which both show 7507 as being T. Bodfish, so it looks as if he was known as Thomas locally, just a thought.

The images are on pdf's and if you would like them could you pm your e mail address and I'll send them over.

Regards. Llew.

Llew

Thanks, PM sent.

There is a related Thomas John but he is born 1868. But I will have another review of my notes and on line. I suspect John reversed his names due to the unfortunate connotation of that combination of first and middle names!!!

M/378274 Robert James Bodfish ASC is also related, CWGC died 07/11/19 Cologne. But that will be another job later!

Of the 14 Bodfish on CWGC WW1&2 i have definately linked 4 and a possible 3 more.

The Bonkers bit is all worth it just for the Eureka moment!

Rgds Mick

• 3 weeks later...

LLew et al

Just to keep you up to date on this one.

Sotonmate kindly looked up his BWM/VM Medal & SWB Rolls.

They confirm he was 8th Bn.

He enlisted 2/9/14 and was discharged through "Sickness" 2/11/19 aged 27. Discharge given on MIC as 21/1/19

In the final column it is annotated that he did NOT serve overseas, maybe an error?

Regards Mick

Hello Mick,

It must be an error, we've got a date of entry for him and the medal index card. I would have thought that if he had been unfit for overseas service, then he would have been discharged not long after his enlistment date. The 8th Battlaion were reduced in June 1918, and disbanded in July. The surplus were transferred to the 7th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment and the nucleus to the 14th Battalion West Riding Regiment. I'm actually looking into one of the Anstey men who would have been in the same position, but have not been able to findout where he went as yet.

If you would like to see the part transcribed 8th Battalion diary then just let me know.

Regards. Llew.

Llew

Thanks again, I would be keen to see the diary if you have it.

Rgds Mick

Mick,

On its way to you. All the major event days have been transcribed, but if there is a date which has not been, and might be of interest to you, then please give me a shout.

Regards. Llew.

Llew

Brilliant! Thanks very much.

Mick