Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Traking two brothers killed in Ypres

mick simo

I am planning a trip to Ypres to visit the Menin Gate where two of my great uncels are named; I would be greatful if any members could suggest any areas on the western front where me relatives would have been.

There name are -

Lance cpl Edwin Pittaway, 8146, 1st Lincolnshire regiment, died:1/11/14

Private Frederick Pittaway, 14408, 1st Lincolnshire Regiment. died:6/6/15

I would like to visit the area where the brothers would have been killed so if any member could tell me where these areas are I would be thankfull.

It will be my first visit to the battlefields driving - usually go on a bus so any hotel suggestiong would also be useful.

Many thanks,

Mick

hey,

not mutch help I an offer

but maybe member lincolnreg can.

I guess your relative saw mons and moved on towards ieper

have yoy tried the section wardiaries?

kind regards

sabine

Hi

These lads are of interest to me. I collect to the Lincolnshire Regiment and like to read up on them particularly WW1 and the lads who are local to me in Brigg/Scawby/Broughton.

Edwin Pittaway was KIA in the 1st Battle of Ypres as a member of the first of the BEF. In the vicinity of Kemmel, Lindhoek, Wytschaete or Hooge.

Fred Pittaway was KIA (16th June, 1915.) at in the first attack Belleward, between the Menin Rd and the Ypres to Roulers railway. Hooge, Brandhoek and Railway Wood areas, too.

Broughton church has a Roll of Honour with five Pittaways' listed.

Have you any other details on the men, there has been a bit of a study made into the men of Scunthorpe who served during WW1 and I do believe the Pittaways' are mentioned. Have you got the book in which they appear?

Do you have any photos or other details on the family?

Dick

Yes, No.8055 Pte.John Pittaway wounded at Neuve Chappelle, listed in the Hull times 3rd April, 1915. Served for 7years in India and was attached to 'B' Company of the 2nd Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment.

D

Hi

These lads are of interest to me. I collect to the Lincolnshire Regiment and like to read up on them particularly WW1 and the lads who are local to me in Brigg/Scawby/Broughton.

Edwin Pittaway was KIA in the 1st Battle of Ypres as a member of the first of the BEF. In the vicinity of Kemmel, Lindhoek, Wytschaete or Hooge.

Fred Pittaway was KIA (16th June, 1915.) at in the first attack Belleward, between the Menin Rd and the Ypres to Roulers railway. Hooge, Brandhoek and Railway Wood areas, too.

Have you any other details on the men, there has been a bit of a study made into the men of Scunthorpe who served during WW1 and I do believe the Pittaways' are mentioned. Have you got the book in which they appear?

Dick

I have the book on the Crosby Angel, I dont know if they are named in any other. I know very little about the brothers. My line of the family comes from there sister Ellen Pittaway. She named one of her sons after Edwin Pittaway, Edwin Flanders Pittaway (nephew of the brothers) was born in 1915.

I would be greatful if you could share any information that you may have on the brothers with me as i am trying to research them.

Many thanks,

Mick

Mick

Have you had a look through the 'Ancestry' website for Medal Index Cards & service records?

There could be a wealth of info in there, I will have a good root through tonight after my 2-10 shift.

Looks like the site is off for repair work at the moment!

D

There is not a deal on for the brothers, however John Pittaway, another brother who was awarded the Military Medal, has a pretty compreheb=nsive set of papers. Plotting his whole career.

If you want this I can email you the files.

D

Email on its way.

DW

Just in case you had not got these. Click on these links and CWGC details will pop up:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1624398 Edwin

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1624399 Frederick

DW

Mick/Bingo.

On your visit to Ypres if you care to walk up the Menin Road, (about 20 minutes frm the Gate), to the Menin Road South Cemetery there are two graves/ headstones to two brothers in the Lincolnshire Regt., killed on the same day, whose names I am sorry I cannot remember at the moment. They are in lines of special memorials on the right as you enter the cemetery, special memorials because their graves were originally in the Menin Road North Cemetery destroyed by shelling. A somewhat poignant death which I remember was on the 21st December four days before Christmas.

Regards Cliff.

Hi

Dick

Hi Dick, noticed you live not too far from my location, do you attend Lincoln and North linc's WFA meetings mate? (you can pm me your reply if you like Dick)

regards

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mick

A really good source of information is www.bellewaarde1915.co.uk It gives all the details of the battle that took place on 16th June 1915.

I would be interested in your great uncle who fell on that day so that I can add him to the website in 'Soldiers Stories'

Regards

Martin