Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amazon Kindle - free WW1 books

SteveMarsdin

The biographical story of free Kindle download Private Peat is a member of the 3rd (Toronto Regiment) Battalion who severly injured his arm at 2nd Ypres, April 23-24, 1915. He then went on a speaking tour of the United States and Canada. It is not a great book and is available free as well on-line as the copyright has expired.

Cheers

Bob

Downloaded and read last night - I found the book quite interesting - especially the change in Private Peat as he experienced the war.

Thanks for highlighting its availability.

Thanks for the links to the WWI books

In case this hasn't been said before, for Kindle addicts there is a UK forum which helps out for conversions etc. http://www.kuforum.co.uk/

A handy piece of freeware which can convert various formats to Kindle can be found here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/ Once converted it is just a case of moving the file to your Kindle via the USB connector.

(ps I avoid pdfs as they just don't flow properly...)

• 2 months later...

Many thanks for your replies regarding my questions regarding the Kindle...I was wondering if it would make a useful addition to my hand luggage on flights etc...

As I mentioned in an earlier topic, I downloaded from the net, "The Signal Service in the European War of 1914-1918", I found that there were many diagrams at the back of the book that were helpful to a lecture I am compling.

When I saw the book was available as a re-print I ordered it, disapointment is my reaction to what I recieved. It appears to be a straight download from the source from where I originally found it, and the diagrams that I was particularly interested in, were worse than useless..!

So its back to using the pc to study the drawings from the download obtained from Internet Archive.

regqards

Tom

Well someone must have been looking over my shoulder....I got a 3G Kindle for a Birthday present!!!

You you were all correct, screen size no problem.

regards

Tom

Quick questions to Kindle users,

Can you download a book from Amazon on to your PC, and then download it on to two seperate kindles ? and what do you do with the "book" once you have read it, can you reload it back onto your PC for storage - Yes I know these things can store many books, but is it possable to "store" them ?

Grant

Grant,

There is a synchronise facility; I have Kindle books I bought before I obtained a Kindle, on my PC (PC Kindle reader). The facility brought my Kindle reader "up-to-date" with all my Kindle content.

Please note though, although the reader does accommodate pdf files, you don't have full-functionality with them. If you have a lot of existing pdf files (from archive.org or wherever) there is a facility whereby you can e-mail them to Amazon, who convert them to Kindle (free of charge) - the problem is that the acceptable file size is so small it prohibits most pdf books from been trancribed. The only course of action I've found is to go back to archive.org and download them again, directly, in Kindle format.

Quick questions to Kindle users,

Can you download a book from Amazon on to your PC, and then download it on to two seperate kindles ? and what do you do with the "book" once you have read it, can you reload it back onto your PC for storage - Yes I know these things can store many books, but is it possable to "store" them ?

Grant

I only have one Kindle so not sure, but I have a feeling that if you download from Amazon you can only then transfer to a Kindle registered to you, or to someone who has an account on your PC - but someone else may know better. Once you've installed 'Kindle for PC' or for Mac, all items downloaded can then be 'archived' and they will remain on your computer, but will show up on your Kindle as an archived item - Amazon items also remain on your Amazon account and can be downloaded from there if needed. Archived items dowloaded from Amazon can be reinstated again anytime wirelessly. So although the 'limit' on books held on a new-ish Kindle is 3,500, with those stored, it is really limitless.

Sue

Steve and Sue,

Thanks for the replys.

My question stems from having two teenage nieces who both want Kindles, and I was wondering if I'm going to have to pay for each book twice ?

Cheers

Grant

Grant

When you download a book from Amazon, the payment is charged to an account holder and taken from their credit/debit card. So who will actually be paying for the books? If it's a parent, then the devices could both be registered to the same person, and then the two Kindles can share books on the same account. If the nieces are both going to be independent, then I don't think it's possible to share.

Sue

Thank Sue, thats what I was after.

Who will be paying ?

Muggin's of course :angry:

Grant

• 1 month later...

Of course, there is always my book ... but you have to pay.

And it isn't about the Somme or even the British army.

Another plus with all of this ... if you have a copy of MobiCreator (free and readily available software) you can convert any ebook and read it on a PC/Mac, it doesn't have to be a Kindle. You can also create an ebook which can be read on a Kindle, et al, etc. A bit of a learning curve to master it ... but more than accessible to the average bear. No screen resolution worries, etc. Google 'Mobicreator' or 'MobiPocketreader', it may be useful to you, but please, no enquiries about this, there are a few hours of learning curve so you should learn!

I have recently converted a book I had previously arranged standard pulication for to ebook/kindle format for a local author/ess and found it easy enough to do (I'm not plugging the book as it's not WW1 related).

Regards, Jarvis.

• 2 months later...