Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amazon Kindle - free WW1 books

SteveMarsdin

As long as they don't offer The Reluctant Turncoat, we'll be all right. Antony

Steve, Thank you for posting the Kindle link. I've just downloaded 4 books. It's just what I was looking for but hadn't found. How did you find that section?

June

If you go to the on line libraries of Canada and America you can download other free books like regimental histories and divisional as well as other personal accounts like 'When the Somme ran red' etc. I have downloaded the above as well as 5th div history and Lincolns history.

I love my kindle, I bought it to hold novels as I still want my history in good old page form but when you can get old free books fro reference its great.

Regards

Arm

The biographical story of free Kindle download Private Peat is a member of the 3rd (Toronto Regiment) Battalion who severly injured his arm at 2nd Ypres, April 23-24, 1915. He then went on a speaking tour of the United States and Canada. It is not a great book and is available free as well on-line as the copyright has expired.

Cheers

Bob

If you go to the on line libraries of Canada and America you can download other free books like regimental histories and divisional as well as other personal accounts like 'When the Somme ran red' etc. I have downloaded the above as well as 5th div history and Lincolns history.

I love my kindle, I bought it to hold novels as I still want my history in good old page form but when you can get old free books fro reference its great.

Regards

Arm

I love my Kindle too. A collection of free Great War titles from archive.org using the search term "1914-1918"

Here (Ignore the first one, each to their own but it is a rather weird music file)

Thanks Steve, that was a book I didn't spot in the free selection at Amazon. Added a fair few freebies from there

The only problem with downloading paid for books wirelessly from the Kindle store is that we can't go in via the forum link and help forum funds!

Although giving it some thought, I suppose there is a way of going in to Amazon via the forum link, going to the Kindle store and downloading the books to Kindle for PC, then transferring them to the actual hand held device in a roundabout method

No doubt most of us will still be buying Great war hard copy titles from Amazon anyway

Caryl

• 2 months later...

Noticed this one in the Kindle top 100 free books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Motorcycle-Despatch-Rider-During/dp/B0016P3Y0Q/ref=zg_bstf_341689031_18

"Adventures of a Motorcycle Despatch Rider During the First World War"

W.H.L. Watson (Author)

Product Description

The Battle of Mons, The Battle of le Cateau, The Great Retreat, Over the Marne to the Aisne, The Battle of the Aisne, The Move to the North, Round la AssÉe, The Beginning of Winter 1914, St Jans Cappel, Behind the Lines.....etc

Caryl

Thanks Caryl - another one to put on mine. I think I have reading for the next year on it now though!!

Jim

I'm currently working on a few transcriptions of out of print memoirs (e.g. 33rd Bn, MGC) to go onto the Kindle but I've also found that the PDFs of the manuals work quite well on it as well (as most of the pages are Kindle size in real life) so I am converting the PDFs to be one page wide, rather than two so they fit better.

I'll update them on my website as I go.

Richard

The Kindle has been great for other books that are indirectly related to the Great War. The neurasthenia literature, for example, covers all of the major authors who published before the war. This includes French texts as well. I don't know if these are available via Amazon yet.

The option to add notes and comments is particularly helpful.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed this one in the Kindle top 100 free books

http://www.amazon.co...tf_341689031_18

"Adventures of a Motorcycle Despatch Rider During the First World War"

W.H.L. Watson (Author)

Just finished this book and found it to be a cracking good read. Fast paced, breathlessly so at times and what is good about it is that through the very nature of the work of the Motorcycle Despatch Rider he gives us glimpses of various actions in the places mentioned above, rather than the experiences of a soldier attached to one regiment or unit and also provides fascinating details of his own work

. Although he does admit that Motorcyle riders can tall a tall tale or two (think he might have been referring to some of the tales told to him by his colleagues)

Enjoyed it for what it was

Caryl

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd better mention that the book "Adventures of a Motorcycle Despatch Rider During the First World War is now £3.50 and not free any more on Amazon :unsure:

I have a suspicion that Amazon are getting quite "cute" and suggesting to authors when they should start charging. For instance with the ITV series Sirens, the books on which they are based have suddenly become charegable. Possibly a recommendation on GWF leads to something becoming chargeable?

David

Yes they are getting wise. Could be that it was such a popular free book because when I spotted it, the book was in the 'Kindle Top 100 Free' list.

Mind you it is worth £3:50

Now the only First World War period FREE book in the Top 100 is South: the story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 expedition - another cracking good read

Since yesterday, that's gone up a bit higher in the chart (download it while you can folks!)

Caryl

Many of the free ones were I suspect harvested from sources such as Project Gutenberg and Archive.net, where they can still be found free. That is any older titles, where copyright in the original has expired. More recent publications of course, where they are paying royalties to the author or original publisher they can charge whatever the market will bear. But always check the free sources before parting with money.

Keith

I've thought about a Kindle, but I have reservations about the size of the screen, yet reading previous posts in this thread it seems that many of you are very pleased with your purchases.

So, is it a universal thumbs up, do I buy one, or are there any negative comments about this product from members?

regards

Tom

I've thought about a Kindle, but I have reservations about the size of the screen, yet reading previous posts in this thread it seems that many of you are very pleased with your purchases.

So, is it a universal thumbs up, do I buy one, or are there any negative comments about this product from members?

regards

Tom

Buy one. No negative points from me. If your concern about the screen is the font size, that can be increased or decreased to suit.

Roger

Many of the free ones were I suspect harvested from sources such as Project Gutenberg and Archive.net, where they can still be found free. That is any older titles, where copyright in the original has expired. More recent publications of course, where they are paying royalties to the author or original publisher they can charge whatever the market will bear. But always check the free sources before parting with money.

Keith

Quite right Keith. The Motorcycle Diaries don't appear to be on archive.org (correction: It is) Most of the freebies on my Kindle relating to WW1 are from archive,org

regards

Tom

Tom, I'm very pleased with Kindle as a whole, for convenience and for the fact that as above there are so many free WW1 books on archive.org that can be downloaded onto it. Kindle editions of books on Amazon are usually cheaper than the new printed versions but therein lies one downside, there are no second hand copies available, as in the usual Amazon printed book listings, so not much saving overall I suppose. Another downside is that it is very tempting to buy books that are downloaded in seconds for book addicts like me. I had a shock looking at bank statements at how many transactions were from Amazon - never!

There are a lot of excellent free Classics available though

I still love my Kindle, wouldn't be without it and I would recommend one without hesitation to anyone. Very easy to use and to read, lightweight. I carry mine around everywhere but my love affair with it is slightly on the wane because I much prefer printed copies. (although, of course that option isn't available with the free old rare books on archive.org) The look of them, feel and smell of them The ability to read the blurb, leaf through and admire the illustrations (illustrations are available on Kindle but not in colour and the quality is poor). and I miss not having a copy on my bookshelves. I still buy printed books from all sorts of places though and of course so many books aren't available in Kindle editions

Caryl

The look of them, feel and smell of them The ability to read the blurb, leaf through and admire the illustrations (illustrations are available on Kindle but not in colour and the quality is poor). and I miss not having a copy on my bookshelves.

Caryl

I agee with Caryl on this point. I should have said in my earlier post that I only use my kindle for novels. Any reference book (and all my WW1 collection) are hard copies and are smiling at me from my shelves.

Roger

..................Any reference book (and all my WW1 collection) are hard copies and are smiling at me from my shelves.

Roger

Very wise Roger. I wish I'd stuck to that principle. Downloaded a few Kindle versions of paid for WW1 books, including one important reference book that I wish I'd bought printed versions of instead

Caryl

Caryl

Don't gove up totally on WW1 books for your Kindle. I have loads of pdf files from Gutenberg and I have read some of them via the Kindle. Many are very text heavy and are therefore fine, one tip is to read them landscape as you do not have as much control over a pdf. Also they are large files so 3 or 4 at a time shouldn't fill your Kindle too much.

Jim

Jim

I hear you and do have a lot of WW1 titles from Project Gutenburg (via archive.org) on Kindle. Noticed that Adventures of a Despatch Rider as mentioned above is still free on both

What do you mean by 'read in landscape' though?

Caryl

Many thanks for your replies regarding my questions regarding the Kindle...I was wondering if it would make a useful addition to my hand luggage on flights etc...

As I mentioned in an earlier topic, I downloaded from the net, "The Signal Service in the European War of 1914-1918", I found that there were many diagrams at the back of the book that were helpful to a lecture I am compling.

When I saw the book was available as a re-print I ordered it, disapointment is my reaction to what I recieved. It appears to be a straight download from the source from where I originally found it, and the diagrams that I was particularly interested in, were worse than useless..!

So its back to using the pc to study the drawings from the download obtained from Internet Archive.

regqards

Tom

What do you mean by 'read in landscape' though?

Caryl

Rotating the screen by 90 degrees. Press the font size key (the AA one) and go down to screen rotation and pick the next one along. I find that it then shows a pdf page in a reasonable size font but full page width. You can then use the page turning buttons to scroll down or, when at the bottom of a page, turn to the next. Others may view pdf differently but I find that the best way for me. Then again, a lot of the students in my school think I am a little eccentric. w00t.png (OK maybe weird then)

Jim