Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just come back from the Somme

Matt Dixon

Dear Pals,

Thought I would offer a brief report on a excellent three days on the Somme, taking two Somme virgins on their first experience of the battlefields. I have had all the photos developed and my note taking skills seem to have failed on the two photos I will post below. Can anyone ID them for me?!?

Started out catching the 7am Seacat from Dover, very smooth crossing and then a nice gentle drive down the motorway. We came off at Junction 15 and headed for Monchy Cemetery to get a pic of the grave of a chap from my old school. We then headed across to the Vis en Artois memorial. What an impressive site. I haven't been there before, and I was blown away by it. I was sad to see however the dispicable habit of filling in the letters of names on the memorial with black marker pen. A quick stop at Croisilles to get another old boy and then onto the Somme proper.

We went down to Delville Wood and had a nice walk through the wood, soaking up the wonderful sunshine. Refreshed by a cold beer, we had a good nose around the Museum and the cemetery, and then headed into Longueval to see the Pipers Memorial. I was sceptical having seen it in books, but up close I decided that I actually quite liked it. We shot over to Flatiron Copse and the Mametz Wood Memorial, and then headed off to the New Zealand Memorial and then Caterpillar Valley Cemetery. A gentle drive back to Bapaume via a few cemeteries on route. We stayed at the Gourmet hotel, adequate bedrooms, excellent food. We propped up the bar in a local tavern, and didn't laugh once when Greece beat France.

Day Two was an early start, down the Pozieres road, going to the various cemeteries around Ovillers, Courcelette and Flers. A coffee stop at the Tommy, and we headed off to Pozieres Cemetery, Gibraltar blockhouse, Tank Corps, Pozieres Windmill. The Ulster tower was next on the list, and then Thiepval itself. It was a real pleasure to be able to get a photo of the memorial with not a person in site! (Is this a first?) We nipped into Albert for a Croque Monsieur and a beer, and then had a look round the Musee des Abris. Back along the Pozieres road, via Lochnagar Crater and then onto Beaumont Hamel memorial park. The newbies were blown away by this, and it was surprisingly very quiet there. We ended the day with a superb meal at the de la Paix.

Last day of the trip, started at Englebelmer and Serre No 2, then down to the 9 brave men memorial, Bells Redoubt, Fricourt German and Devonshire Trench. We stopped at Chipilly and then headed to Corbie Communal (another OB). Over the river and down to Villers Brettoneaux, Crucifix Corner and then the Australian memorial. To finish off, we went across country and finished at Etaples.

Almost 1000 miles driving in three days, but it was well worth it. I know many of the Pals will be heading off to the Somme, I trust you all have as good a trip as we did.

If anyone can ID these two I would be most grateful.

post-12-1088617161.jpg

and this one!

post-12-1088617236.jpg

Matt

This sounds very much like the trip I am doing in Mid-Sept with ditto Somme virgins except that I am going to follow the line of the 1 July from Serrre to Carnoy deviating where necessary.

On the photos, I suppose you could try to ID them via the CWGC website if you can recall what cems. you visited. From what I can remember the CWGC description does include a photo or 2.

Though I am sure that Terry Denham will know anyway!

Martin

Excellent report Matt! Pure envy from 7000 miles away. Just got my papers for extended USA stay= bye bye Somme for now :(

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Matt,

Those are indeed very powerful and well took photographs. I too am visiting the Somme this July as well as many other battlefields such as Verdun and the Meuse-Argonne. Could you tell me, if you have been there, how the museum of the Somme near the South African Memorial is? I am very curious about such a thing.

-Doughboy

Doughboy

The Museum is actually part of the South African Memorial at Delville Wood.

Amongst other topics it recounts the story of South Africa from colonial times, thence on to WW1 and the role of SA in that conflict. Particularly covered is the fighting at Delville Wood with some good brass reliefs covering both this and other conflicts.

You will find it fascinating.

Martin

The first one is Grevillers British Cemetery; the second is a little more difficult. There aren't that many cemeteries on the Somme where the Stone is in that position; what photos precede it and what others follow? Rough idea of an area? Looks like somewhere south of the river Somme to me, if not near Arras?

Paul,

You are (as usual!) correct, many thanks!

I did visit the headstone that your signature comes from.

Any joy with the PSB stuff?

Best wishes as always

Many thanks Paul, can't wait.