Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 S of A

CSMMo

On what I assume is some portion of my grandfather's service record, it shows a movement from Salonika to "RO 3 S of A 16-9-18", "for course of inst: 3 S of A O" Then there are some numbers under that 22.3 17 9(?) over 8 and a word under it that is illegible (Looks like "census").

Questions -

What's the 3 S of A and S of A/O? I know my grandfather went from an RGA unit in Salonika to the RAF in Alexandria for training, then the war ended and he went back to the RGA unit before de-mob'ing home.

What is this form? It has personal information including "Name of person to be informed of Casualties", Movements below that and Appointments and Promotions in the lower right hand corner.

IF I can get my scanner to obey me once again, I will scan the form (cross your fingers!)

Mike Morrison

And, maybe, School Of Aerial Observation ? Alternatively just substitute Artillery for Aviation / Aerial !!

No 3 School of Aeronautics was at Heliopolis, Egypt, and covered pre-flying training for would-be airmen.

If you're wondering where the other Schools were: No 1 School was at Reading in the UK, No 2 School was at Oxford, also in the UK, No 4 School was at Toronto, Canada, and No 5 School was at Denham, UK.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Gareth, that was indeed helpful. I got my scanner under control (for now), so this is what the form looks like. Aerial Observation could have been a role for my grandfather as he was an Artilleryman, however the family lore calls for him learning to fly and the two notebooks I have (hand written with wonderful, detailed sketches, class notes and several printed schematics) indicate learning the theories of flight and how to operate the aeroplanes. These notebooks were apparently purchased locally as they have labels on the covers with arabic figures.

Mike