Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain T M Dickinson

MichaelBully

I would welcome advice

I am researching Hove Great War dead and on a memorial plaque at St. Andrews Church, Waterloo Street, found a commemoration of one Thomas Malcolm Dickinson

“In loving memory of Thomas Malcolm Dickinson Captain 16th cavalry Indian Army. Attached 1st Grenadier Guards, wounded at Festubert 1915.

Attached Royal Flying Corps in Mesopotamia.

Helped to provision Kut 1916

Brought down in air combat taken prisoner on the Western Front 1917

Evacuated 6000 prisoners, being himself last to leave fatal camp of Parchim 1918

Died under operation to his wounds in Egypt 4th January 1921 Aged 27

Beloved by all

‘A warrior sans peur et sans reproche ’

Valiant in fight Patient in tribulation

A good soldier of Jesus Christ

Erected by his sorrowing Mother and Brother. "

I have found a tribute to Captain Dickinson in 'The Brighton Gazette' dated 26th January 1921, which states that "It was officially reported that his death had occured from heart disease but it now appears that he passed away under an operation to his wounds at the 5th General India Hospital .

Not sure how to confirm whether or not Captain Dickinson should be commemorated amongst the Great War dead, and even how to find the records of the 5th General India Hospital to see whether his death should be attributed to wounds or heart disease. Certainly sounds like an incredible man.

Name: DICKINSON, THOMAS MALCOLM

Initials: T M

Nationality: Indian

Regiment/Service: 16th Indian Cavalry

Date of Death: 04/01/1921

Awards: D F C

Additional information: Son of Mrs. G. H. Paget Davies (formerly Dickinson), of 25, Brunswick Terrace, Hove, Sussex, and the late Capt. T. M. Dickinson (Royal Artillery). Born at Woolwich.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 76.

Cemetery: SUEZ WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

Here he is

Chris

Thomas Malcolm Dickinson was born on 13th February 1893 and lived at 25 Brunswick Terrace, Hove.

He left his estate of £1,965 9s 5d to Gertrude Henrietta Paget Davies, wife of John Paget Davies. The probate records detail his death as 4th January 1921, Suez.

As he was an officer his records will be available at the National Archives: http://www.nationala...m?WT.lp=rg-3105

That's great Chris - I couldn't find him on CWGC, had tried both Army and Air Force . Realised that I had not added 'Indian' to the search ! Oh well - sorry to clutter up 'non-commemoration' with somebody who has already been commemorated !.I do feel a bit silly.

Thanks also for your input Sandie- much appreciated. I have read Thomas Dickinson's records at the National Archives.

Regards to you both -Michael Bully

Name: DICKINSON, THOMAS MALCOLM

Initials: T M

Nationality: Indian

Regiment/Service: 16th Indian Cavalry

Date of Death: 04/01/1921

Awards: D F C

Additional information: Son of Mrs. G. H. Paget Davies (formerly Dickinson), of 25, Brunswick Terrace, Hove, Sussex, and the late Capt. T. M. Dickinson (Royal Artillery). Born at Woolwich.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 76.

Cemetery: SUEZ WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

Here he is

Chris

Michael

No problems at all; I would rather we do that way than miss one

Chris

Thanks for your support Chris. I have also discussed Captain T M Dickinson on the Parchim POW camp thread.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120741&st=0&p=1157893&fromsearch=1entry1157893

I am quite happy for this thread to be locked , now that we know that Captain Dickinson has been honoured on the CWGC data base.

Michael

No problems at all; I would rather we do that way than miss one

Chris

• 1 year later...

Thomas Malcolm Dickinson is my husband's 'first cousin once removed." I have some early biographical information if you are interested.

Yes I am very interested ! Have sent you a private message, and also added my E mail address to my profile. With best wishes, Michael Bully

Thomas Malcolm Dickinson is my husband's 'first cousin once removed." I have some early biographical information if you are interested.

• 6 years later...
On 15/04/2012 at 16:07, MichaelBully said:

Yes I am very interested ! Have sent you a private message, and also added my E mail address to my profile. With best wishes, Michael Bully

Dear Michael,

Would you be kind enough to share any biographical detail you have on T.M. Dickinson with me as part of my research into the war dead of Windlesham House School?

Thanks and best wishes,

Tom P-C

Greetings Tom P-C , haven't looked at Thomas Malcolm Dickinson for a while. Will see what I can find. He gets mentioned in 'Hove and Portslade in the Great War ' by Judy Middleton, which is part of the 'Your Towns & Cities in the Great War ' series. 

Regards

• 4 years later...

Just recently lve been reading about Dickinson and l can't work out when he earned a DFC. Not in 56 sqn as he was only in that unit a couple of weeks. He may have got it in 1919 but it looks like he was still unfit for flying due to his 1917 wound.

Did he really have a DFC and if so what had he done to earn it?

On 03/10/2023 at 23:03, nils d said:

Did he really have a DFC

It appears so = 3 Jun 1919 London Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31378/supplement/7031

A late award it would seem - That was a King's Birthday Honours Gazette / 'The Peace Gazette' I believe - so perhaps not for a single act but for general good work.

His Majesty The KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards to Officers and Other Ranks of the Royal Air Force, in recognition of distinguished services rendered during the war:— ... AWARDED THE DISTINGUISHED FLYING CBOSS ... Capt. Thomas Malcolm Dickinson. (MESOPOTAMIA)

M

Edited by Matlock1418
tweak

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Matlock.So if Dickinson didn't fly in 1919 , and his health would preclude this, then the DFC will be for his service while in 30Sqn in 1916. That would be an inappropriate award for that period surely but what else could it be? It happened before that a 1916 deed earned a DFC for a RNAS pilot.Someone didn't stick to the rules!