Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loyal Dublin Volunteers

jonathanb2701

a search on the Military section of Ancestry for Born Dublin with Inniskilling as a keyword gives 149 soldiers died (Irelands Memorial records database) and 47 pension records. Replacing Dublin with Wicklow gives 15 soldiers died, 0 pensions records. Kildare give 16 soldiers died plus 5 pension records.

A quick look at some chaps from Dublin shows they went to Finner Camp in 1914

Edward Lutman (discharged 1915 with bad eyes) - 9th Battn

Wellington Lyster Allen (KIA 1917) - 9th Battn. Embarked for France 5/101/1915 on the SS Victoria. A letter from his father has Wellington Allen in No 3 Company.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11891549

Alfred Denham Ruddock - (discharged 1917 - gassed and TB; died 1918) - 9th Battn

http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/900672/RUDDOCK,%20A%20D

No service or pension record for Sgt Daniel Griffith, 9th Battn. Listed in the Engineering Dept of the Guinness Roll of Employees

http://www.dublin1313.com/site/2011/06/27/bishop-empowered-to-tell-our-story/

http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/GenealogySearchDetails.aspx?eid=10834

CWGC has 3 death records for No 3 Company, 9th Battn but none are from Dublin. Was hoping that it might show No 3/C Company as being the LDV but inconclusive at the moment,

Hi Johnny,Would it be probable that a good number of the LDV were not from Dublin but were just living and employed there? there must have been a large ammount of Unionists employed in the civil service and the professions and they may have been likely to have joined the LDV, but this is only speculation on my part.

Some interesting information now appearing on the Loyal Dublin Volunteers. It is good to see the photograph of a few of them at Finner Camp. There is some link with the 9th Inniskillings, and the L.D.V. someone from Tyrone must have had connections, with this group in Dublin or its leaders, that encouraged their recruitment. Hopefully more sources will continue to throw light on this matter.

I am surprised to read of other similar units from Cork and Wicklow, and i look forward to hearing more about them.

• 1 month later...

April/May 1918--A roll of Honour of Dulin Orangemen who joined Army or Navy unveiled by Sir J.H.Stronge -Grand Master-in Fowler Memorial Hall-Dublin -the Roll had 340 names, 11 of whom had died. Included was Rev. J Thom, Military Cross + 2 Bars. From Mid -Ulster -Mail -May 1918 Where might Roll of Honour be today??

Wesley Wright

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I have an interest in this subject, according to Carson’s Army: the Ulster Volunteer Force, 1910-1922, by Timothy Bowman

Supposedly these men had made arrangements to send their families to England in the event of civil war[1]

.As late as July 1914 as this group appears to have been attempting to obtain rifles from sympathetic British army personnel and Staff Sergeant Ensell of the King’s own Yorkshire Light Infantry was charged with stealing five rifles from his battiob’s armoury in Dublin, with the intention of supplying them to Dublin UVF members.[2]

.It appears that some members from the Dublin UVF left the organisation during the First World War to join the Volunteer Training Corps, which they saw as a more effective organisation.[3]

Also, there is evidence of a corps being present in Leitrim

.There were Orange lodges in the County[1]

.Some Southern Irish Unionists supported militant action to stop the Third Home Rule Bill[2]

.A UVF unit appears to have been formed in County Leitrim by early 1914[3]

.A UVF parade took place in January, at which four corps and 300 men were inspected by the unionist Lord Farnham[4]

Can someone please send me the link for that photo of Dublin loyalists at Finner Camp

[1] Michael Wheatley, Nationalism and the Irish Party: provincial Ireland, 1910-1916, (Oxford University Press, 2005), p. 183

[2] Carson’s Army: the Ulster Volunteer Force, 1910-1922, p. 6

[3] Carson’s Army: the Ulster Volunteer Force, 1910-1922, p. 61

[4] Michael Wheatley, Nationalism and the Irish Party: provincial Ireland, 1910-1916, (Oxford University Press, 2005), p. 183

[1] Carson’s Army: the Ulster Volunteer Force, 1910-1922, p. 61

[2] Carson’s Army: the Ulster Volunteer Force, 1910-1922, p. 143

[3] Carson’s Army: the Ulster Volunteer Force, 1910-1922, p. 10

Sorry, I meant can anyone please tell me the links for the sources mentioning Loyalists militant groups in Wicklow and Cork, as I cant find anything

• 1 month later...

The 9th R Inniskilling Fusiliers was the only battalion within the 36th Ulster Division to have a significant presence of recruits from the South of Ireland - Soldiers Died in The Great War 1914-19 indicates that around 10% of the battalion's dead were from Dublin or Wicklow - as this unit saw active service from late 1915 through the war's end, it is logical to assume that this percentage was higher amongst the original personnel of the battalion - Kevin Myers wrote an article about them circa 1985 in the Irish Times confirming that they had joined this battalion.

• 1 year later...

There will be an exhibition of UVF and other 'militant' Unionist memorabilia from the Home Rule Crisis in Glasnevin from the 10th to 24th of November. This will include two presentations on the 16th of November. One will be generally on the UVF. The other will be on Southern Irish militant Unionism and include a look at the LDV and the other 100% confirmed anti-Home RUle quasi-military elements from the South. These include Sligo, Leitrim and South Louth. Theres other units (involving some conjecture at the minute) in Wicklow and Cork that need more research.

Along with the exhibition will be a series of leaflets. There will be a booklet on the Loyal Dublin Volunteers, with others on the UVF Structure, Donegal UVF, Monaghan UVF, Cavan UVF, and 'southern' Unionism.

Excellent topic. Brilliant to uncover 'new' history. Im convinced there were a plethora of anti Home Rule UVF type organisations across COnnacht Munster and Leinster. Hopefully as we hit 1914 mroe info will emerge.

One last thing- has anyone any concrete references to a Loyal Wicklow VOlunteers over and above Kevin Myers piece?

can't go but would definitely like to get a copy of the booklet if possible.

I hadn't realised until this week that there had been an Alternative Covenant created by members of the Protestant community who were pro Home Rule. The following poster appeared on the National Library of Ireland Facebook page the other day to mark 100 years since the meeting at Ballymoney with Casement, White etc speaking

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/10455654246/

I read quite a lot about this era and continue to be surprised about how much is still being uncovered that rarely ever makes it into books, history lessons etc.

Ref - Southern Irish Unionist support for the Unionist cause.

I recently looked through Edward Carson's personal scrapbook, which is held by the Linenhall Library in Belfast.

The large hardback book covering the 1912/13 period includes postcards, invitations, newspaper clippings and telegraphs.

There are approx 100 telegrams , he received on Ulster Day, 28th September 1912, including some from what is now the Republic.

One congratulating him asks - " when do you march on Cork ? "

• 5 months later...