Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Soldiers Died in The Great War...

nhclark

Not sure I'm in the correct Forum but here goes...

I've read bits and pieces about 'Soldiers Died in The Great War' but I'd like some authoritive opinions if possible. How was 'Soldiers Died in The Great War' put together, who by, and what sources were used?

Are there documented errors in it, and if so, what sort of errors have been made? Are there any known cases where 'the wrong man' has been identified?

Thank you,

Noel

Noel

According to Ancestry

In 1921 His Majesty's Stationery Office published, on behalf of and by authority of the War Office, two lists of those who died during the Great War. One volume, packed with minute typescript, gave the basic details of nearly 42,000 officer casualties. It required an additional eighty volumes to list all the 'other ranks' who gave their lives. Each of the original volumes represented one or more regiments, corps or other units of the British Army. Most were subdivided into battalions or similar groupings. There were often thirty or more of these per volume, each in alphabetical order.

And, yes, it is FULL of errors, incorrect spellings, etc, etc etc.

For example, near me is a village called Shelfield. It is generally reffered to as Sheffield in the listings.

Service numbers are sometimes in correct, for example 200533 is on the SDGW as 200538.

The other problem is that names are not always used correctly. For example I have researched a DALLAWAY but he is in the listings and all other military records, even the roll of honour, as DALLOWAY. Not the fault of the SDGW, but an error nevertheless.

I dont know of any corrections.

Regards,

Graeme

And, in terms of the CD version, available from naval & Military, the errors were compounded in the digitisation process. I understand that there were some corrections in later versions of it.

SDGW also has omissions as well. There are soldiers listed in the CWGC Debt of Honour that are not listed in SDGW, so I guess some were missed if the relevant units or formations were missed or records were lost over time.

Cheers Andy.