Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berthonval Farm

shutt

Wonder whether Berthonval Farm is indicated on any trench maps for the area around Vimy Ridge ?. My gt uncle`s RFA battery was sent there in May 1917 to relieve batteries of the 5th AHA occupying defensive positions along Vimy Ridge. If anyone can help I`d much appreciate it.

This is a 1:20000 of the farm - it is well back from Vimy so for the period you are interested in you will not see trenches.

post-28845-0-33632700-1299702677.jpg

All maps courtesy of Linesman by the way.

Here is the same area on a modern map

post-28845-0-31287000-1299702767.jpg

To give you an idea of where it is relative to the ridge the same modern map zoomed out. The farm is flagged.

post-28845-0-90141900-1299702858.jpg

Hope these help a little. Clearly you can visit the site without any problem.

Jim

Thanks very much for your help Mike and Jim, much appreciated. Quite surprised how far from Vimy it is, I`ll have to read the war diary again, wonder if the Brigade HQ was at the farm rather than the whole unit.

It was Byng's advanced Corps HQ for the attack on Vimy Ridge on 9 April 1917. According to Pierre B, the ringing of the staff's spurs could be heard as they walked around the building: some chance, given the number of guns that were located in close proximity to it!

Wonder whether Berthonval Farm is indicated on any trench maps for the area around Vimy Ridge ?.

It was a front-line position (and battalion HQ) up to May 1915. Here's a trench-sketch from that period showing it in location to the then frontline...

post-357-0-07637900-1300193800.jpg