Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Odd name stamping on BWM

Tinhat47

This is the British War Medal for 114522 W.O. Cl. 2 John Robert Crisp, RE, top.

The stamping of his name looks very different from what is usually on the BWM, as on the bottom medal to Pioneer H.S. Collins, RE -- much bigger and spaced out.

Has anyone seen a larger font like this before? Is this an original medal or something made up later?

183057_10150432310980082_525160081_17609611_2171082_n.jpg

195973_10150432311055082_525160081_17609612_3595402_n.jpg

Matt,

I am not an expert in medal numbering but for interests sake that name and number does not show up on Ancestry's medal roll index.

Matt,

I am not an expert in medal numbering but for interests sake that name and number does not show up on Ancestry's medal roll index.

Yes it does !

Steve

Both the BWM and VM were named by a number of machines and probably by a number of vendors so there is great variation in the namings, including the larger letters on your BWM. That said, what bothers me is the lack of stops between the letters in the rank and the initials. Dick Flory

This type of impressing is O.K. :thumbsup:

Steve,

Got me tossed, only two Crisps showed up on my search, neither of which was the right one, I apologise for the error.

what bothers me is the lack of stops between the letters in the rank and the initials. Dick Flory

Unusual, Dick, but I`d still be happy with the medal. :)

Thank you for allaying my fears, gentlemen!

And yes, the missing periods is very strange. Even upon magnification, there's not ever the slightest hint of them.

I had a R.N. one stamped very much the same way & there was nothing wrong with that one!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add my two penneth whats the suspension claw like, where it meets the disc? I once had a British Major/Lt.Col Indian Medical Service and the naming was very like this. The claw is sweated and crimped on (like many IGS medals) and doesn't have a rivet like the English produced BWM. So if your man was serving in India the maybe it is a Calcutta Mint variant.

Regards

Paul

The suspender definitely has the little rivet.

Here's something interesting though. Mr. Crisp attested on August 20, 1915 and was given the rank of Pioneer. The very next day, he was promoted to Company Serjeant Major -- however, his 1914-15 Star has his rank down as Pioneer.

This is the British War Medal for 114522 W.O. Cl. 2 John Robert Crisp, RE, top.

The stamping of his name looks very different from what is usually on the BWM, as on the bottom medal to Pioneer H.S. Collins, RE -- much bigger and spaced out.

Has anyone seen a larger font like this before? Is this an original medal or something made up later?

183057_10150432310980082_525160081_17609611_2171082_n.jpg

195973_10150432311055082_525160081_17609612_3595402_n.jpg

Hi Matt,

I have only ever seen this particular variation in naming on the BWM and then only for o/r's medals but never on an officer's BWM. I believe that at one time it was thought that this large lettering on the BWM was only on those to casualties, ie KIA or DoW's, and even then not always by any means. I have seen this naming on quite a number of BWMs to non KIAs, so it is simply down to the machine being used at the time. Incidentally, some 1914/15 Stars also have a similar style of large lettering.

I am not totally sure whether or not there is any fixed pattern to the naming styles on WW1 medals, other than possibly the DCM and MM--others on the Forum may have different opinions.

To answer your question, I would say :thumbsup:

Robert

Hello Matt.

Nothing wrong with the B.W.M.naming several companies were employed to do the job and metal typesets varied I have several example which show the same type of letters/numbers etc.

No full stops could be due to a broken punch simple as that.

Regards,

Bill.

I have only ever seen this particular variation in naming on the BWM and then only for o/r's medals but never on an officer's BWM. I believe that at one time it was thought that this large lettering on the BWM was only on those to casualties, Incidentally, some 1914/15 Stars also have a similar style of large lettering.

... It is also seen on TFWM & MMWM,as well as on 1914~15 Stars & 1914 Stars.

just one of a number of Naming Font types used on the Great War Medals that had an extensive issue & re~issue timeframe.

& seen alongside the smaller font on Star & VM as all were named seperately.