Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The First Day on the Somme

Guest AmericanDoughboy

I'm glad that people noted my "travesty". I still maintain that the book is responsible for much of the public conception that the battle was just "one day" - I know Martin underlines that it was not, but the legend has grown. We, however, on the forum all know better. None the less, as I said I do hold the volume in great esteem and by implication do not take the concept of the Somme as a one day battle too seriously - though many with only a cursory knowledge of the war do regard it as a one day massacre.

I am glad, however, that people have taken up the point - I usually do raise it to be a little provocative!

I've got a 1st ed. hardback, a paperback and a battered, well travelled and worn paperback which conveys the fact that I would never wish to be without it.

PS Kate, I want to have a sing song, too! When's the next one scheduled??

Cynthia,

MM loved his sing-songs, which were an integral part of each tour that he led; indeed my only claim to artistic fame is that he engaged me as his partner to sing 'There's a Hole in my Bucket', which became a regular turn whenever we toured (and I'm not even sure that it is a Great war song). Martin has now retired from leading tours (though I imagine he won't resist a few special comebacks) and his business partner Mike is not so enthusiastic about the last night sing-songs, so I can't give you a definate answer.

However, you mentioned that on your next state visit to our shores, you could hire the Royal British Legion hall for a Pals gathering. I'm sure we could arrange a Great war sing-song then.

Kate

PS I also once demonstrated 'They Were Only Playing Leapfrog' with MM, but, he being tall even when crouched down, I accidentally pounced on him. Only tried it the once.

Kate - if there's a Book World near you, try there. I got a new copy (my old one just disintegrated!) there for £3.99 last month.

Marina

Similaryly, my local branch of "The Works" have been selling various in this Penguin series for around £4 a shot as part of their "D-Day Celebrations."

Kate - if there's a Book World near you, try there.  I got a new copy (my old one just disintegrated!) there for £3.99 last month.

Marina

Similaryly, my local branch of "The Works" have been selling various in this Penguin series for around £4 a shot as part of their "D-Day Celebrations."

Have now ordered mine online through Pen and Sword (plus a "couple" of other books :) ).

Kate

Dear Kate and Pals,

Could we arrange that in a short time? I think everyone should prepare themselves for the invasion - I will be back in England on September 24th, over to France on the 27th, and going back to the States on October 7th. You will all be able to come out again after that date!

Cynthia

Let's go for it CIA; though I think the hall would need to be booked pretty quickly. Are there any other suitable venues?