Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The First Day on the Somme

Guest AmericanDoughboy

Guest AmericanDoughboy

This book is unspeakably incredible. Martin Middlebrook introduced me to the true understanding of the word Somme. It's description of the various battles of July 1st are truly breathtaking and when finished the book I almost cried in sorrow due to the utter disaster of the British attack on the Somme. Even though the French participated in the July 1st attacks, this book mainly focuses upon the British partcipation on the First Day of the Battle of the Somme.

This book is so incredible that I suggest all to read it. HIs description is so astonishingly realistic that you not only feel like you were there, that you almost know you were there on the Somme. I recommend this book to everyone.

post-22-1088540764.gif

Here Here!,MM lives quite near to me & was a regular speaker @ the Soke Military Society Meetings @ Peterborough,with the added bonus of the opportunity of buying his latest & OOP Books direct from the Author!{As well as many of his Research Tomes by other Authors @ knock down prices!}An excellent speaker as well as author with a laid back & easy method of speaking,many an enjoyable hour spent listening to him!

Without doubt one of the best books ive ever had the pleasure to read, i read it some months ago now and its already begging for another read........ ;)

Mick.

MM lives quite near to me

Where abouts do you live then Harry (if you dont mind me asking). Martin Middlebook lives in Boston, which is where Im from. I have not met him personally but he was a friend of my Grandad Im told.

I read in our paper that he has announced his retirement from leading battlefield tours only the other week.

Jonathan

MM lives quite near to me

Where abouts do you live then Harry (if you dont mind me asking). Martin Middlebook lives in Boston, which is where Im from. I have not met him personally but he was a friend of my Grandad Im told.

I read in our paper that he has announced his retirement from leading battlefield tours only the other week.

Jonathan

Just outside Wisbech{Injun Country!}MM used to speak @ P'Boro Museum around Twice a Year for the Soke MCS

I think everyone here has (underlined) read it

ok, ok I'll fess up.... despite all the books I've read, adn the fact this one is on my shelf. I have not read it yet. It more a comment of time rather than interest.

Anyone who`s been on an MM tour will know that the people tend to wander off at the various stops. To sound "return" Martin used a 1915 whistle given to him by a Kiwi tourist. It had been her grandfather`s I think - a NZ officer.

Just thought you`d like to know! Phil B

I may well have been of one of MM's tours with you, Phil. Don't forget the last night sing-songs with all the Great War favourites.

Oh yes. Ever one for gender stereotyping, Martin orders the ladies to prepare the meal, and the gents to make sure we all plied with drink. Net result, six women buttering bread like billy-o, and a queue of men offering to fetch them a drink, most of whom find themselves redundant with the words "I've got one already thanks".

Seems a fair division of labour to me, Kate!! :D

Seen this one on eBay? BULLETS and BANDSMEN.The Story of a Bandsman on The Western Front Written by his Daughter .p/b. by Daphne Jones. 6909005349 (Cut & paste job I'm afraid - used fast reply!)

And just to return it to the thread, I've read MM's book and also "The Kaiser's Battle" both of which are excellent

I can remember this was one of the first books I ever read when I became infected with the Great War virus in 1999! I like to go and read outside when the weather is lovely, to get me out of the office and allow me to reflect on what I am reading. It was a warm July day, breeze blowing, when I read the description of the five minutes before that attack on July 1st. The vision of boys, standing to, some praying, some singing, taking out pictures of loved ones and kissing them, well, even as I write this, and certainly as tomorrow is July 1st, I am very choked up. He is a true artist with painting the word picture of that moment that we can all only imagine.

Cynthia

PS Kate, I want to have a sing song, too! When's the next one scheduled??

I think everyone here has (underlined) read it

ok, ok I'll fess up.... despite all the books I've read, adn the fact this one is on my shelf. I have not read it yet. It more a comment of time rather than interest.

You haven't lived!

Read it, or you be put on a Charge.

Tim

You haven't lived!

Read it, or you be put on a Charge.

Tim

I've been trying to get this from amazon for a couple of weeks now. They don't have any and can't get hold of any!!

Anyone got a copy they don't want :D

Kate

The only truly "unputdownable" book I ever read. I started it one evening and stayed up until I'd finished it. If I were Cultural/Historical Dictator I'd make everyone read it.

Tom

I can't resist posting you a picture of the great man a few weeks ago at the new WFA group in West Yorkshire. I haven't asked his permission, but I imagine its OK (rule keeper?). The lecture was about the first day of the Somme! Imagine how often he's done that, but it was fresh and enjoyable, a super hour. He was a bit of a way from his maps (excellent colour one of the battle) and it was in a pub, so all pretty relaxed! It gives you a good idea of a very happy lecturer with lots of copies of The Books on the right.

post-22-1088613244.jpg

Martin M always says that "The Kaisers Battle" is a better book.

"The First Day" as a book almost single handedly revived interest in the Great War through the 1970's. For most Great War afficionados it is one of the keystones of Great War literature. These days it is perhaps beginning to date but is still a must read.

At the same time it is responsible misleading the public at large, and many others, by reinforcing the widely held view that the Battle of the Somme took place on 1st July 1916, making it easy to forget that it ran on till November. As such it is a travesty of history, but one which I, personally, hold it great esteem for what it is - a good portrait of the first of almost 150 days on the Somme.

If you have not read it - go seek. If can be found in remainder shops; outlets like the IWM shop and is still in print with Pen & Sword. It should easily be available from mail order outlets like Naval & Military Press.

Martin

I think it`s unfair, Martin, to call MM`s book a travesty. It does what it says on the tin - describes the events of the first day in the Somme offensive. It doesn`t claim to cover the the whole series of Battles of the Somme 1916. I suspect that technically there is no "Battle of the Somme 1916". The Battles Nomenclature Committee, I believe, grouped several individual battles (such as Albert, Transloy Ridges etc) under the group heading "Battles of the Somme".

I think it`s a pity Martin didn`t write a book about the later actions on the Somme, or anywhere else for that matter. Phil B

There is, of course, his (and Mary's) wonderful "The Battlefields of the Somme", my No. 1 travel companion (with Rose Coombs, of course). Full of great maps & pictures it illuminates every corner of the area I've been to. Love it.

Guest AmericanDoughboy
Martin M always says that "The Kaisers Battle" is a better book.

"The First Day" as a book almost single handedly revived interest in the Great War through the 1970's. For most Great War afficionados it is one of the keystones of Great War literature. These days it is perhaps beginning to date but is still a must read.

At the same time it is responsible misleading the public at large, and many others, by reinforcing the widely held view that the Battle of the Somme took place on 1st July 1916, making it easy to forget that it ran on till November. As such it is a travesty of history, but one which I, personally, hold it great esteem for what it is - a good portrait of the first of almost 150 days on the Somme.

If you have not read it - go seek. If can be found in remainder shops; outlets like the IWM shop and is still in print with Pen & Sword. It should easily be available from mail order outlets like Naval & Military Press.

Martin

Martin,

He has stated that "there were many other brave men who fought on the Somme later in 1916, but this is not their story" in the introduction of the book. Also, thank you Graham for posting a photograph of Mr. Middlebrook. I had never seen a photograph of him before.

-Doughboy

The beauty of the Somme book is that all MM has done is stitch together first hand accounts, similar to Lyn MacDonald's books. Just bought 'The Kaisers Battle', from a remaindering book shop, sad to say, but not started it yet.

Given the contacts members of the Forum have with MM, what are the chances of a cheapie spot at the Pals Weekend...? I'm sure a Lincolnshire Pal would be happy to pick him up !!! (I'll buy him dinner ! What more could he possible ask for ??!!)

I've been trying to get this from amazon for a couple of weeks now. They don't have any and can't get hold of any!!

Anyone got a copy they don't want :D

Kate

Kate, et al.,

abebooks.com have copies for under a fiver 2nd hand (plus a bit of postage of course) - so, no further excuses ! READ IT !!

All the best

Jim

Kate - if there's a Book World near you, try there. I got a new copy (my old one just disintegrated!) there for £3.99 last month.

Marina