Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where am I?

phil@basildon

Do the two obelisks form part of the same memorial and, if so, what distance apart are they?

Not a canal but you are close! The memorials are white Portland stone, with a plinth on raised steps. They are not very big but taller than me. We are not on the Somme or the Salient nor are we at the end of the Western Front.

Michelle

"Expanse of Water" to me means more than just a puddle or pool - I was wondering if the obelisks were "dual monuments" like the one at Kempston (one for WW1, one for WW2), but with a puddle between them. Any CWGC sites with twin obelisks either side of a "pool"?

"Identical" would imply to me some collective identity - I was wondering whether the various AIF memorials are visible to each other across some expanse of water - but "not on the Somme".

"Somewhere in France" need not necessarily be mainland France - some of their overseas territories are considered to be "part of France".

David

• Admin

They are identical and the water is a river and we are in mainland France

Michelle

• Admin

OK a clue There is a large amount of Portland Stone very close by.

Michelle

So one of:

• situated in the same geological strata as Portland - which I guess might be somewhere between Le Havre and Cherburg and then inland running approx SSE?,
  • or near a major monument/building built of Portland Stone (with probable WW1 links)
  • or near a CWGC cemetery - "large amount of Portland Stone very close by" could be multiple ""pieces" and therefore different from "a large bit of Portland Stone" (Did the French use Portland Stone for their grave markers?)

And on either sides of a river - not the Somme, but other Western Front major ("expanse") rivers in France not excluded (Aisne, Marne, Seine, Meuse etc.). Does the Voie Sacre cross a river on a Portland Stone Bridge and would two of the milestones count as memorial obelisks? (I have no idea of their scale - or of Michelle's height!)

David

• Admin

Sorry Tom. The river is a significant WW1 river, and the large amount of Portland Stone is a WW1 memorial.

(David I stand 5 foot nothing in my stockinged feet.............. :blush:)

Michelle

• Admin

Not Somme or Ancre. Think early.

Michelle

I thought Scarpe when I said canal but could it be the Yser?

La Ferte Sous Jouarre, RE memorials either end of where they built the bridge across the Marne, beside the Missing Memorial and the rebuilt road bridge.

Mike.

• Admin

Well done Mike- your turn!

Michelle

I am on high ground looking north

1. In front of me is a tall pillar (a regimental memorial) and a long straight road disappearing to left and right

2. To my left at 10 o'clock is a small chapel

3 To my left at 9 o'clock is a French National Cemetery and beyond that a German Cemetery.

Good luck,

Mike

this is just a try,

fricourt?

• Admin

This from dad (MJohnson on here) Cerny X roads and he is stood by the Loyal North Lancs Memorial

Michelle

I am standing on the steps of a Marie of a very small town on a very famous road . A General had been sent for to command his countries army . He was unwell and had slept in a chair for a while in this Marie . Where am I ?

Souilly, on the Voie Sacrée, which Pétain used as his HQ during Verdun?

cheers Martin B

Well done Martin , A fascinating place Souilly . Your turn

Maurice

Oh dear, I shouldn't really have answered that question as I'm currently in the AFP office in Nicosia battling with a flood of copy on Libya, so I may be some time thinking of something. Can I give you another go, Maurice, as your first effort didn't last long, and I'd hate to hold up the game? cheers Martin B

Okay, ready now, try this one

I am standing on a large overgrown mound with an electricity pylon just beside me. To the west is a wide flat area of farmland and a road in the distance with a large cemetery. To the south, just in front of a long ridge, is a town, with a big slag heap to the right of it.

It is probably raining

where am I?

cheers Martin B

• Admin

Hohenzollern Redoubt?

Michelle