Where am I?

phil@basildon

• Admin

Are Indians nearby?

Andy

Sorry Andy, no

Michelle

• Admin

It is a fromage Mick, you are a little too far south, you need to Retreat a bit to the north :whistle: and think about the regiment of the county where I was born..............

Michelle

• Admin

Final clue

There is a photo of this and the person I am visiting in a book recently published by a forum member..............

Michelle

• Admin

Anyone?

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

okay, I'll pick up the baton with an easy one

the memorial I am looking at was unveiled by a blind sergeant and a VC winner. It's in granite, but it should have been soapstone

cheers Martin B

• 3 weeks later...

Port Sunlight?

As a guess - Portsoy?

The local memorial could have been made from Portsoy Marble (which is actually serpentinite or 'soap stone'), but IIRC is in granite. Not aware of any VC connection with the unveiling though........

Edit: Scratch that one entirely - I see Croonaert has 'come clean' with Port Sunlight!

As a guess - Portsoy?

The local memorial could have been made from Portsoy Marble (which is actually serpentinite or 'soap stone'), but IIRC is in granite. Not aware of any VC connection with the unveiling though........

Edit: Scratch that one entirely - I see Croonaert has 'come clean' with Port Sunlight!

Port Sunlight it is. A magnificent monument it is too. Would post a picture but am at work right now.

cheers Martin B

You are correct - cabaret the fate of x-factor losers, St Quentin the patron saint of bombardiers and the 293 siege battery sitting in a field just outside Wulvergem - well done, your turn.

Isn't Barbara their patron saint??

Peter

• 1 year later...

Seems a shame that this 'bit of fun' thread appears to have died!

Seeing as it would appear to have been my turn to post a question (thereby being my fault it ended? :ph34r: ), I'll stick this one in in a belated attempt to resurrect it....

I'm standing in a pretty non-descript location by a tree-lined railway line at a point where a small stream (though it's called a 'river' in this area) that makes me think of Christmas passes underneath it. I look across an open field to a wooded area from where the first shot of the Great War on the Western Front originated (the first 15 shots to be specific). In the area I'm stood, there must be some 30 VERY historic rifle rounds buried in the ground somewhere ,with another 19 rifle and pistol rounds within the wood itself. After this 'fight', the flow of battle never reached this spot again during the war. It was, however, just 9 miles behind the established front-line of late Autumn 1914 through to 1918. Where am I? (nearest village(s) names or the name of the wood will suffice)

Dave

Glad to see you've revived this thread, Dave (and yes it was your fault it died! although it had got a bit slow, for some reason, so perhaps you just assisted its demise). Unfortunately I am too ignorant to solve this mystery. Perhaps some clever person who isn't over-occupied on the 'Who is this?' thread will assist.

Liz

Sorry Tom, but no.

Dave.

Sorry Tom, but no.

Dave.

Very close though.... just over 7 miles (as the crow flies) from the place I mean.

Ah well, it was a gallant effort at re-opening the thread I suppose (and now the guilt of killing it can be lifted from my shoulders).

I'll give the answer and see if anyone else cares to continue with the thread...

The wood from which the very first shots of the war on the Western front originated is called ''Le Breuleux' and the nearest villages are Montreux-Chateau and Petit-Croix in Alsace.

The event was an exchange of some 49 shots between German soldiers in the wood and French Douaniers near the railway line at 08:50am on Sunday 2nd August 1914. Every shot missed. Capitaine Dentz of the Douaniers has the 'honour' of being the first Frenchman to open fire in anger during the war, the German soldier's names are unrecorded in history.

Dave.

Over to someone else now.......

Thanks Dave,

Amazingly accurate reporting if not shooting !

If nobody else volunteers, I'll try and set one over the next few days.

• Admin

I'm stood in flat land, where I am standing sometimes has water surrounding me, sometimes not. I can see another cemetery cross if I stand just by this cemetery cross and look across to a road in the middle distance. I am in the company of men who met their deaths from 1914-1916 and a gentleman that Alan Clark would have described as a Donkey.

Michelle

A long shot Michelle - are you in the La Belle Alliance Farm / Cemetery area?

(As a side note - did you get any further with your 5 Siege Battery man [Andrew Cleveland Wright] buried in Forceville Communal Cemetery Extension? - I don't know if you saw my reply to your orignal post last year.)

All the best

Steve

• Admin

No cigar Steve, come south a few miles. Re Andrew Wright, that is an ongoing project. He was the great uncle of one of the GPs at work so time to sort that one as Tony will be visiting him at some time in the future.

Michelle

Oh well, have to get the thinking cap back on then!

If it's of interest, here's a photo of Andrew Wrght's grave very kindly taken for me by forum member Mike_H a few years back:

post-2839-0-74159000-1390551420_thumb.jp

I've not found Andrews service papers at all, so I can't tell you too much about his service history, apart from the fact he landed in France on 7th March 1915 as part of a replacement draft (his first unit in France given as 'Base Details' on his medal roll entry). From his service number he was a pre-war regular, joining the RGA around March 1914. If you need a transcription of 5 Siege Battery war diary for the time of his death please let me know.

All the best

Steve

• Admin

Anyone need a clue? This seems to have died a death.

Michelle

Okay, I'll have a go in the interests of keeping this thread going.

You are standing at Le Trou Aid Post Cemetery at Fleurbaix, possibly looking across the fields to Rue Petillon Cemetery. The gentleman you refer to is Brigadier General Lowry Cole who is buried at Le Trou.

Do I get Steve's cigar?

Paul

• Admin

You do indeed Paul, except I'm looking up to the Rue du Bois Cemetery.

Michelle