Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where am I?

phil@basildon

• Admin

I reckon that you are talking about the 7th Suffolks on 13th October attacking the Quarries? The quote being from Charles Hamilton Sorley, KIA on that day and remembered on Dud Corner. One of the finest poets of the Great War.

Michelle

Spot on with The Hulluch Quarries! Was that too easy?

On the 13th October 1915 1st & 46th (North Midland) Divisions, in particular, suffered apalling casualties for very little (if any) gain; of 12th (Eastern) Division 6th Battalion The Buffs certainly suffered the most, losing over 400 of their number in a matter of minutes. The 7th Norfolks and 7th Suffolks attacked and held The Quarries, but could get no further than this. As you correctly noted, Charles Hamilton Sorley was one of the 8 officers of the Suffolk Regiment who lost his life on this day. All 50 men of the 7th Suffolks who were killed in action on the 13th October are remembered on the Loos Memorial.

:poppy:

Back to you again Michelle!

• Admin

I'll let someone else have a go!

Michelle

I'll let someone else have a go!

Michelle

I think I'll sit this one out - I need to rest my few remaining grey cells! :D

This may be too obscure:

In France, In August 1916, a pidgeon came to a Baldrickian end with a cat and a cabbage. Where?

David

• Admin

The only thing that springs to mind is Boom Ravine........... :blink: Over to the more learned

Michelle

Actually geographically remarkably close to the place I had in mind - do you want to be more specific (or explain)?

David

• Admin

I was thinking of Baldricks poem Boom Boom Boom! Also Trevor Pigeon wrote the Battleground Europe book about Boom Ravine. But Cat and Cabbage is Hampshire Regiment or Y&L?

Michelle

Not Plan F - nor Hampshires

Possibly more accurately Blackaddian - but that does not have the same ring as Baldrickian!

I think I will have to give this one up - rather than go through iterations of further clues - as I am likely to be offline for a while.

A pigeon which was observed to come from the enemy line was shot down with rifle fire. The pigeon was not carrying any message, but had a ring round its leg and this identification suggests that this was undoubtedly an enemy pigeon.

At the time they were "in the field" near Neuve Chapelle.

Michelle was very near (Neuve Chapelle is just a few kilometres from Boom Ravine), so I think she should take the turn.

David

• 3 months later...

I note that Michelle has not taken up the baton so may I, begging her indulgence, offer an appropriate 'where am I?' -

I'm standing in a place where as a bloke I really shouldn't be but I heard there was football. it is surprisingly quiet as maybe the predecessors of my grandfathers battery amongst others are enjoying a short period of peace. Its the night on which instead of those guns 'the angels sing' but the actions of everyone around me are frowned upon.

Sean

I think I will have to give this one up - rather than go through iterations of further clues - as I am likely to be offline for a while.

At the time they were "in the field" near Neuve Chapelle.

Michelle was very near (Neuve Chapelle is just a few kilometres from Boom Ravine), so I think she should take the turn.

David

in no mans land near plugstreet looking to play international football christmas 1914 perhaps.john

Edited by munster

Nice one seany - glad to see this thread hasn't become moribund!

I'm guessing munster is in or close to the ball park with Ploegsteert, otherwise I'm stumped so far.

cheers

Steve

Suddenly, it came to me....No Mans Land, somewhere aalong the Western Front, wherever your grandfathers battery were.

My Gt Grandfather was in Fleurbaix area, 1914, with the 1/8th Royal Scots.

Don't know if he took part in any truce celebrations, would be good to think he did though.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Al

Congratulations one and all - I was somewhere, anywhere, in no mans land celebrating the Christmas truce of 1915.

In terms of the football I am reminded of Uncle Mort's book of the north - Uncle Mort remembers that day well 'we climbed warily from our trenches and looked at the enemy, small, dark strange men who spoke a language we could not understand later we played them at football' his nephew asks 'who won?'

'we drew - England 1 - Scotland 1'

Seany

Suddenly, it came to me....No Mans Land, somewhere aalong the Western Front, wherever your grandfathers battery were.

My Gt Grandfather was in Fleurbaix area, 1914, with the 1/8th Royal Scots.

Don't know if he took part in any truce celebrations, would be good to think he did though.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Al

I was somewhere, anywhere, in no mans land celebrating the Christmas truce of 1915.

Have you been at the Christmas dates already, Seany ...? :whistle:

• Admin

Mea Culpa! Sorry I forgot to take up the baton, life got in the way. Are we talking RWF at Houplines in the above?

Michelle

Yes and No, Michelle.

Yes, the RWF were involved.

No, not at Houplines.

I was after the monument at Frehlinghein.

As you obviously know the story and were just down the road in your answer, well done

Over to you.

Al

• Admin

I'm stood in a village cemetery at a graveside. Theres an aroma of a fine dairy product in the air.(Some of you may disagree with me on this one!) A private grave was erected by an American lady.

Where am I and who am I visiting?

Michelle

• Admin

Do you need a clue?

Michelle

Do you need a clue?

Michelle

Yes please Michelle. I think eating too many mince pies has had a soporific effect on my grey cells!

Ooh, I remember a post on the forum about this private grave, a splendid sepulchure surrounded by a hedge, but I can't think of a keyword to search on. Would the fine dairy product be Brie de Meaux?