Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Seven Heroes of Moeuvres

muckandbullets

Attached is an account written on the editors page of THE BOYS OWN ANNUAL 1919. As can be seen it talks of 7 brave Highlanders. Cannot find anything on this site or the other.The account seems to indicate Corporal David Ferguson Hunter should be awarded the Victoria Cross,does anybody know if he did get the award and what happened to him.

post-60966-0-28222400-1309029801.jpg

Brilliant, thanks John.

If anybody is interested I can attach the Boys Own Annual Drawing of the 7 in the shell hole.

I'm sure I have a picture of him. Got to find hard drive VC winners. 10 mins Pals.

Medal entitlement of Sergeant David Hunter VC - 1 / 5th Bn, The Highland Light Infantry

• Victoria Cross
  • Imperial Service Medal ( ISM )
  • British War Medal ( 1914-20 )
  • Victory Medal ( 1914-19 )
  • King George VI Coronation Medal ( 1937 )
  • Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal ( 1953 )
  • Efficiency Medal "Territorial"

Thought so.

Looked on Google not a single picture?

I knew I had him some place.

Pals Sergeant David Hunter VC - 1 / 5th Bn, The Highland Light Infantry

cpldfhunterhlivc.jpg

Atnomis,Great to see David Hunter got promoted to Sergeant hope he was happy with his final promotion.Great to see he made beyond 1953,I hope the other 6 had such good fortune.Where did you get the picture of David Hunter?I have decided to attach the artist impression picture from The Boys Own Annual 1919 of the 7 in the shell hole. This is no disrespect to any friend,family,(or foe at that time), nor in the future.

post-60966-0-82655300-1309028579.jpg

Moeuvres Cemetery contains 2 graves of 1st/5th HLI (Mulhill and Mitchell) from 18/19th September 1918 attacks....2 others (2/Lt Bryson and MacKenzie) at Queant.

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see this info Im his Great Grandson and doing research on him. I have just written a short story about him. i am pleasantly suprised at all the info that is about on him. I am planning on doing a web site about him and his men. If its possible the name of the dead soldier and hopefully info on the others if anyone can help that would be great. I think it is only fair that they all get the credit they deserved. The main prob is the length of time and a fire at the main records office. I know one of his men died but not sure who and also private D Mc Farlane Glasgow was badly wounded. The other names are private J Fleming Glasgow private W Gray Kilwinning private W J Jones Peebles private J L Phillips Glasgow. The most recent info i have is a pipers piece called the seven heroes of Moeuvres march found by a friend of mine after a tip off about it. if you want a good pic of him go to piccasa web its him when he was in the highland cyclist battallion. I would post it here but having probs uploading it. cheers

Stevie

I see your Gt Grandad had a Territorial medal, do you know if he stayed in the Territorials post War? If he did his Service records will probably be with the MOD, below is the contact details, you'll have to get hos closest NOK to complete the NOK form.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Sam

Thanks I know he became a postman after the war also he did not see active service in the 2nd world war but helped with recruitment. I will check out your link cheers

Hi Stevie J , Mike Skipman sent me a message entitled Hunter vc. Mike had obviously read the 7 Forum. Cant find it as a new topic, he has some more information on your Great Grandfather. Im 70% on using this site and dont know how to place you on his thread. Why not PM him for the information. I wll also PM MIke.On the thread I reply that it would be great if the "Family Tree" knew we were talking about your brave relation. Well you have answered that and also given us more information on the great man.I would imagine when on his postround he would have had a few quiet thoughts of that shell hole. Dont know how he got on on November the 5th with all those bangers. One other thing, have a look at the forum THE SPIRIT OF THE CLAN, look at the drawing to stir your blood up.

On another note I had some problems getting Photos down to 100 kb for the site, now mastered. You probably dont need any advice but I would be glad to PM and let you know how I managed it.

Wasn't there some anecdote about 2 officers passing a postman and getting rollocked for not saluting a VC winner? I wonder if that was Sgt Hunter, but think I recall it being in London..... maybe apocryphal?

Oh i almost forgot Marshal can you help me with the upload pic process ? cheers

Not Marshal Ney but here goes: -

1) Ensure the photo is less than 100KB, if not you'll need to resize it using something like "photoshop".

2) Ensure it's in JPEG format.

3) Click the "browse" button below the dialogue box, it takes you to your files, select the photo from your files then "open", the file details should then appear on the right of the "browse" button, next click on "Attach This File", you should then get an option on the right of the screen saying "add to post", click in the dialogue box where you want the photo to appear then click on "add to post", the details of the photo will appear but not the photo, it only shows if you select "Preview Post" or "Add Reply".

And as they say Robert is your Mothers Sister.

Sam

• 1 month later...

Here it is at last guys. As the French would say Voila lol cheers

Stevie ,What is the story on no trousers in the photo of our hero.

The pic is from his time in the Highland cyclist Battalion mate. He was with them before he transfered to the highland light infantry.

This is the problem of not being an expert. I dug myself in a hole on that one!

It wasn't the lack of trousers that caught my attention but the watch on his left wrist, rare enough amongst the Officer class pre-War, it must have been very unusual for an O/R to have a wristwatch, my Wife was looking over my shoulder as I typed, she pointed out that as he was in a Cyclist Bn, it would be far more practical to wear a wristwatch when cycling than reaching for a pocket watch, she also asked "could it be a pocketwatch converted to a wristwatch for practicality". She's not just a pretty face.

Sam