Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Charge at Huj 1917

Gloslad

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at the action of the Worcestershire Yeomanry at Huj 1917. I know this is a well documented action and have found out that 2 of the 9 Worcs Yeomanry officers involved in the famous charge at Huj were killed, but does anyone know if a list of all 9 officers is available?

All help gratefully received

Regards

Andy

Hello Andy , I have searched in SDGW ,and I can only find 2

Major Martin chicheley Albright

Died From Wounds 08/11/17

2/Lt John wesley Edwards M.C

Killed in Action 08/11/17

and this one is close to that date ????

2/Lt William George Lane

Died from Wounds 07/11/17

best regards

Ian

Hello Andy , I have searched in SDGW ,and I can only find 2

Major Martin chicheley Albright

Died From Wounds 08/11/17

2/Lt John wesley Edwards M.C

Killed in Action 08/11/17

and this one is close to that date ????

2/Lt William George Lane

Died from Wounds 07/11/17

best regards

Ian

Thanks Ian

Perhaps that's 3 down and 6 to go. I think my next step is a trip to the N/A to look at the war diaries. Unless anyone else out there has the 1/1 Worcestershire Yeomanry war diary covering 1917?

Regards

Andy

The Yeomanry Cavalry of Worcestershire 1914-22 by C - see page 132:

In the Worcesters alone, out of nine officers engaged two were killed and four wounded; out of 96 NCOs and men 17 were killed and 35 wounded. The casualty lists for the Warwick squadron was about the same. Of the Worcester horses, no less than 65 were killed or missing and many others wounded, all in the space of ten minutes.

The official accounts of the action have been sanitised -what transpired during the afternoon was a fair degree of sniping from the Turkish infantry who crept back into the battlefield - adding to the initial casualties.

As to which Officers participated there is sure to be a roll at the Worcester Museum - there are various appendices in the above book listing the original 1915 contingent and all subsequent drafts.

These are likely to be the four wounded Worcester Officers for Huj:

Captain W.H.Wiggin was wounded in the charge at Huj -

2nd Lieut K.Meiklereid is listed as wounded on 8.11.17 - you would need to check with the Worcestershire Yeomanry Museum to confirm whether he participated in the Charge for there are other actions involving the Worcestershire Yeomanry that day.

2nd Lieut W.S.Griffiths is listed as wounded on 8.11.17

2nd Lieut J.E.Knos is listed as wounded on 8.11.17

Captain OTeichman (RAMC) (TF) participated in the Charge - see Diary of the Yeomanry MO. He was in rear of the charge in close pursuit with medics

2nd Lieut J.H.Parsons participated in the Charge

Major M.C.Albright died of wounds received at Huj 8.11.17 - his medals are in the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum together with his horse furniture.

2nd Lieut. J.W.Edwards was killed during the Charge on 8.11.17

That accounts possibly for 8 of the 9 Officers. I do not have a copy of the WY War Diary for Huj. At this juncture I am not certain as to who the ninth officer is.

2nd Lieut W.J.Lane was wounded on the 3.11.17 and died on the 7.11.17 - he was not present at the Charge and should be discounted.

Philip (OMRS 943)

Hi Philip

Thank you for that information. Looks as if there is just one officer to find. It's my intention to contact the Worc Yeo museum and book an appointment to visit them. There is one particular officer I'm interested in (L P Haynes-Rudge) who served with the QOWH throughout WW1. I know he was with the regiment in Gallipoli, and with them throughout 1917, 1918 and into 1919 but have litle more detail than that.

Could I perhaps push my luck and ask if anyone has any information and ideally a photo of Lt L P Haynes-Rudge (promoted Captain by the end of the war).

Thanks in advance for any further info

Regards

Andy

Andy,

There is a Second Lieutenant L.P.Haynes-Rudge listed in Appendix B - The Embarkation Roll of the 1/1 Worcestershire Yeomanry. They embarked at Avonmouth on the 9th April, 1915, for service with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, disembarking at Alexandria, Egypt on 24th April, 1915.

He is mentioned at least 7 times in the Yeomanry Cavalry of Worcestershire by C

He was a Troop Leader in D Squadron at Gallipoli. When time permits later this weekend I will type up a short precis of the relevant pages and pm details to you.

Philip (OMRS 943)

• 5 years later...
Guest Stephen Valintine

Hi, my name is Stephen Valintine and my great grandad died from his wounds at the battle of Huj, Captain Rudolf Valintine, this may be the final person you are looking for, we have his military cross at home and alot of photos etc. I believe we have a book somewhere which has an account. If you guys need any info let me know, Steve 

Steve

The Captain,your GGF, was Warwickshire Yeomanry according to Soldiers Died in the Great War and Register of Personel Effects. Same charge of the Yeomanries, he died of wounds on 12.11.1917.

• 2 years later...
On 04/03/2011 at 20:03, Philip Wilson said:

Andy,

There is a Second Lieutenant L.P.Haynes-Rudge listed in Appendix B - The Embarkation Roll of the 1/1 Worcestershire Yeomanry. They embarked at Avonmouth on the 9th April, 1915, for service with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, disembarking at Alexandria, Egypt on 24th April, 1915.

He is mentioned at least 7 times in the Yeomanry Cavalry of Worcestershire by C

He was a Troop Leader in D Squadron at Gallipoli. When time permits later this weekend I will type up a short precis of the relevant pages and pm details to you.

Philip (OMRS 943)

Philip

This is an old thread but I see you last visited the GWF on 27 June, and have responded to other threads on the charge at Huj.

On my last browse at TNA for 1916 Royal Engineers WDs I pulled WO 95/4409 which is GHQ Troops Egypt, Palestine and Syria (not digitised) and contains, among other files, the WD for 14 Army Troops Company RE and 35 Army Troops Company RE. Attached to the December 1917 diary of 35 ATC are five pages of recommendations for Honours for Officers and men of the Warwickshire Yeomanry and Worcestershire Yeomanry in respect of the charge on the guns at Huj on 08/11/1917, with a brief account of their actions. The forms are headed 5th Mounted Brigade, Australian Mounted Div, Desert Mounted Corps. I could see no reason why the papers are filed with the WD of 35 ATC, perhaps a mis-file. I only made a note of one name, that of Capt Rudolph Valentine who was recommended for the VC. I thought that I would pass it on to an interested party on the GWF. 

Hope it is of some use. 

Brian

Thank you.

Philip

• 2 months later...

I was at Kew yesterday and called up the box WO 95/4409. I took pictures of the five pages mentioned in my earlier post. There are also some sketch maps and many pages of messages. I still could see no reason why the papers relating to Huj are in the WD for 35 Army Troops Co RE. I only have my phone camera but the images are readable. I can e mail them to anyone who is interested. I will post one message and the sketch maps later.

Brian

huj 1.JPG

huj 2.JPG

huj 3.JPG

huj 4.JPG

huj 5.JPG

Message re Captain Valentine and sketch maps (WO 95/4409)

huj 7.JPG

huj 6.JPG

huj 9.JPG

huj 8.JPG

According to Discovery the WD for the Warwickshire Yeomanary Jan 1917 to Apr 1918 is in WO 95/4565 and the WD for the Worcestershire Yeomanary Jan 1917 to May 1918 is in WO 95/4566. They are not digitised. 

Brian

• 9 months later...

I was researching Capt Rudolf Valintine of the 1/1st Warks Yeo and found this good description of the Charge at Huj which names a few of the officers involved including Maj Wiggins

https://militaryhistorynow.com/2017/10/17/the-last-horse-soldiers-what-were-historys-final-cavalry-charges/