Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI and Pre WWI German Patriotic Picture Frames

militariaone

I did not start out collecting these patriotic picture frames I just kept bumping into them while searching shops and shows for WWI trench weapons. Suffice to say, I started to purchase what I found. I thought I'd share some of the variations I have found with the forum. I'll post pictures of more over the next few days. Please, enjoy.

Regards,

Lance

Greetings Moderators, please re-post this thread into "Miscellaneous". I made the mistake of posting in the wrong section of the correct forum.

Thank you,

Lance

I'm to understand these are "Mourning Frames" for the fallen.

Regards,

Lance

One of my favorites.

Regards,

Lance

Ok a bit garish true, but that’s the Kaiser's style then wasn’t it?

Regards,

Lance

Today's entry.

Regards,

Lance

A little "Germania" action. Paint is old, but seems a bit too nice to be original. Alas, this one has some damage with a small piece missing (Snapped off) over the right cannon's wheel. Got it for 20E because of that damage.

Regards,

Lance

More paint of dubious age, but still an interesting variant.

Regards,

Lance

This is the most common picture frame style I have observed. There are a series of these with unit specific headgear (Shakos, pickelhaubes, etc) that are set above the tornister. Some possess differing German States' Crossed Flags (Bavarian is most often encountered). This one has the finials snapped off of the flags. And too most crowns are missing their cross on top due to metal fatigue of the cheapo pot metal use to construct these types.

Ok, I'm mission complete with what I have. Please, feel free to share additional post card sized patriotic frames' styles you own too.

Regards,

Lance

I like the way you're displaying these frames - amongst all the militaria items and other memorabilia, well done.! :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Thank you, for the complement. I was trying for something a bit more interesting than just showing an object by itself. Plus I enjoyed the little tease of framing the frames with bits of rarer brickabrack.

Regards,

Lance

Nice collection Lance - Good to see someone concentrating on the German side of the wire.

Andy

Greetings Andy, I concentrate on the Allies “Our” side of the wire a bit too. Here’s my Grandfather in the US 27th Infantry Division (One of two US Divisions) detached to British GHQs. Yes I know a bit off the thread’s topic, but I couldn’t resist the segue you offered me. Admittedly, it’s a one of my many character flaws. The only cure is to purchase more WWI militaria.

Regards,

Lance

Lance, if you put the frames to the side and brought the peripheral items more into the centre of the display, we could then really start to steer this thread back onto its 'proper' topic of Arms.! :D

Cheers, S>S

• 7 months later...

Latest acquisition.

Regards,

Lance

1914-1916! with the benefit of looking back there was a lot more mourning frames to be filled. Nice collection Lance. john