Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Call up deferred

MichaelBully

I have had my first real stint at reading local papers from 1916- 1918 at the Brighton History Centre. The accounts of the Military Service Tribunals are fascinating. Particularly in relation to the men who were not claiming that they were conscientious objectors, but were using arguments such as the particular job they did was of national importance or that too many family members depended on their income so they should not be called up. A number of them were given some time to set their business affairs in order so were only granted a temporary exemption from military service.

I was wondering if anyone has ever written a study of these cases? I know that is difficult with so many records of the Tribunals being destroyed, and local papers running such reports do not give names, but will just state, for example, 'a butcher aged 33' , but there seemed to be a middle ground as it were between those who volunteered , or accepted that they had to fight , then on the other side , the CO's, who are quite well studied.

Another case particularly intrigued me . One chap opposed being called up and appeared at the tribunal, arguing that he had no patriotic feeling and didn't care whether it was the King or the Kaiser in power. The Tribunal ruled that he had to fight on the grounds that he could not be a Conscientious Objector as he clearly had no conscience.