Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister M. Graham - M.V. Abosso

Tonym

Sister M. Graham is commemorated on the Enniskillen War Memorial, Co Fermanagh, N. Ireland. I also have a note that she was lost at sea when the M.V. Abosso was torpedoed, West of Fastnet on 24th April 1917, en-route from Lagos, W.Africa to Liverpool, with a loss of 62 persons. She is not commemorated by CWGC as a military nurse or on CWGC, M.V. “Abosso”, casualty list, neither could I find her on the British Journal of Nursing website (but that’s not to say she was not there).

Two names have been suggested, one an Orderly at Endell Street Hospital, however I doubt that she would have been traveling abroad. The other, Marion Graham, said to be, a Colonial Nursing Service Sister is a possibility but I have no confirmation.

I would be most grateful for any further suggestions, particularly a casualty list of the M.V. Abosso. Thanks in anticipation.

Tony

The MV Abosso was torpedoed in 1942. The SS Abosso is the vessel you're referring to. Both were of the Elder-Dempster Line. SS Abosso went down with 65 casualties. Antony

Tony, You have a mix of different women. Mary Graham died in 1919 whilst working as a nursing orderly at Endell Street Military Hospital. It was Marion Graham, as a member of the Colonial Nursing Service in Lagos, who drowned off the SS Abasso returning home on leave. To confuse matters there was a third possibility in Muriel Mary Graham who died of meningitis whilst a Voluntary Aid Detachment member in London. The Graham on the Iniskillen War Memorial I believe to be the Endell Street one but as yet I have been unable to find the link so it could be any of the three.

Jim

I deliberately discounted Orderly, Mary Graham as the name on the memorial specificaly states "Nursing Sister: M. Graham". I appreciare that one has to be careful about inscriptions on memorials but, until I am proved wrong, I think that I will settle for Sister Marion particularly if I can identify that she has a Ulster connection. More research.

Antony

I did realise that there were two Abosso's but understood the 1942 one was Abosso II. The embarrassing thing is that the CWGC Casualty list for the Abboso that I checked was for the 1942 vessel, I was conentrating on the names not the date!!!

Also on Google it's a case of 'Take your pick' regarding whether it is M.V. or S.S. for both.

Anyway seems that there is more work to be done.

Tony

One thing bothers me still about the Endell Street Mary Graham. Where is it stated she was an orderly?

Flora Murray's book mentions her passing in the chapter on orderlies but, careful, that's where she mentions Helen Wilkes (pharmacy assistant) and Dr (Somebody) too.

Given she's supposed to have received the RRC, why not a nursing sister? Maybe "orderly" is a myth and "RRC" isn't.

Paul

I appreciate that 'assumption' is a mortal sin but the three references to Mary Graham that I have seen have been prefixed with 'orderly', I will admit that one of those references had about four ???? following it but I thought it safe to accept her as an orderly. You say she was 'supposed' to have received an RRC have you seen her name followed by those initials? If so is it possible that it may have been a typo and should be BRC and perhaps she was a VAD employed as an orderly - just a random thought!

My primary objective at the moment is to associate 'Nursing Sister M. Graham' on the Eniskilling Memorial to Colonial Nursing Service Sister Marion Graham, again I have to admit to a certain amount of assumption in that connection.

The two vital things that I would like to see are a genuine list of staff, at least orderlies, at Endell Street and a list of casualties from the MV/SS Abosso, WWI Version. At the moment it is all still supposition.

Tony

Jim

I deliberately discounted Orderly, Mary Graham as the name on the memorial specificaly states "Nursing Sister: M. Graham". I appreciare that one has to be careful about inscriptions on memorials but, until I am proved wrong, I think that I will settle for Sister Marion particularly if I can identify that she has a Ulster connection. More research.

Antony

I did realise that there were two Abosso's but understood the 1942 one was Abosso II. The embarrassing thing is that the CWGC Casualty list for the Abboso that I checked was for the 1942 vessel, I was conentrating on the names not the date!!!

Also on Google it's a case of 'Take your pick' regarding whether it is M.V. or S.S. for both.

Anyway seems that there is more work to be done.

Tony

Tony, the Abosso you're looking for was a steam ship (SS). The WW2 Abosso was a motor vessel (MV). Many of the records on google don't differentiate because the people who posted them don't know the difference between steam propulsion and motor propulsion. Photographs of the funnels make it quite clear. There are a couple of good wreck-diving websites which are much more careful and the records of the Elder Dempster Line are quite clear. I have looked beyond the records but can't find any record of her in Africa but they may well be there. Cheers, Antony

One thing bothers me still about the Endell Street Mary Graham. Where is it stated she was an orderly?

Flora Murray's book mentions her passing in the chapter on orderlies but, careful, that's where she mentions Helen Wilkes (pharmacy assistant) and Dr (Somebody) too.

Given she's supposed to have received the RRC, why not a nursing sister? Maybe "orderly" is a myth and "RRC" isn't.

If Mary Graham died in 1919, whether she was an orderly or not, she isn't the M. Graham drowned on the SS Abosso in 1917.

Does this help any?

Miss Marion Geo Graham, nurse, country of residence Nigeria:

Name:Miss Marion Geo Graham Birth Date:abt 1888 Age:27 Port of Departure:Africa Arrival Date:4 Oct 1915 Port of Arrival:Liverpool, England

Ports of Voyage:Calabar

[Lagos]

[Accra]

[Plymouth]

Ship Name:Abinsi Shipping line:Elder Dempster Company Ltd Official Number:137388

Following on from Sandie's post - the original of this record shows her intended country of permanent residence as Ireland

The 1911 census has a possible contender for the Colonial Nursing Sister - 26 year old Church of Ireland nurse - Marian Graham - at the Meath Hospital in Dublin. Her birth place is Fermanagh - but not knowing the area combined with pretty ordinary writing - it looks like it starts with DR..and ends .. ACK with 8 e's in between!!!! It has been transcribed as Drumack.

Her age is all over the place - but in 1901 - there is a C of I - Marion G - no occupation - living in Drummack born Fermanagh - aged 21.Father is Noble Graham - a farmer - C of I - mother Dinagh is a Methodist

Not sure if this helps at all but with a correct spelling Drummack appears to be not a million miles from Enniskillen

There is a little bit of family history on this website - that gives Marion/Marian's middle name as Georgina (ties in with the Geo on the incoming passenger list??) and reveals a medical connection for at least one of her brothers - http://users.accesscomm.ca/clay.doty/grahamfamily.html

Cheers

Sue

Marine death index lists the 1917 Abosso casualty as M G Graham (unfortunatly no title or age)

Getting more likely???

Cheers

Sue

My thanks to all for your efforts particularly Sandie and Sue whose information must confirm that Marion Georgina Graham is the M. Graham on the Enniskillen Memorial. One successful trip home in 1915 and the fatal 1917 trip where she is confirmed as a passenger on the doomed SS. Abosso. There can also be no doubt that, as a Nursing Sister, she was a member of the Colonial Nursing Service who served in many parts of the Empire of the time.

Unfortunately, as a civilian nurse, I cannot make a case for her inclusion in the CWGC Debt of Honour Register but at least she is in mine. Hope this helps Jim Strawbridge with his record.

Again my gratitude.

Tony

• 7 years later...

Marion Georgina Graham is remembered  in St Michaels Church of Ireland Church at Derrybrusk,near Carrybridge, Lisbellaw. Co. Fermanagh..  She was one of 11 Children. There is more information in a book called"The story behind the stones".  However,  i am hoping  to  try and trace some other information on her.   

I  will  post a photo of the memorial when i can.

5579389377_2423f938f0_b.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 25/02/2011 at 12:01, Tonym said:

Sister M. Graham is commemorated on the Enniskillen War Memorial, Co Fermanagh, N. Ireland. I also have a note that she was lost at sea when the M.V. Abosso was torpedoed, West of Fastnet on 24th April 1917, en-route from Lagos, W.Africa to Liverpool, with a loss of 62 persons. She is not commemorated by CWGC as a military nurse or on CWGC, M.V. “Abosso”, casualty list, neither could I find her on the British Journal of Nursing website (but that’s not to say she was not there).

Two names have been suggested, one an Orderly at Endell Street Hospital, however I doubt that she would have been traveling abroad. The other, Marion Graham, said to be, a Colonial Nursing Service Sister is a possibility but I have no confirmation.

I would be most grateful for any further suggestions, particularly a casualty list of the M.V. Abosso. Thanks in anticipation.

Tony

On the Barford War Memorial in Warwick is Nurse Murial Mary Graham who was from Carlisle but lived at Barford House, Barford with her parents and was a member of the Warwick v44 Voluntary Aid Detachment at the Warren Auxiliary Hospital, Leamington Spa and seemingly later at at hospital in London where she died of Meningitis. She was awared the Royal Red Cross 2nd Class medal. I am in early stages of research and will post our full findings later today I hope

Ok it seems that there were two Muriel Mary Graham's at least one of whom served as nurses in WW1. The first one is the one i am researching and served in the VAD in Warwick/Leamington and the other had the Ireland connection and is perhaps, I have not looked further, the one you are looking at.

image.png.0034d809ba65f693de1e8d91f750fac7.png