Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was Jack Dunne

corisande

Another of the photos in the IRA Intelligence Book in Bureau of Military History in Dublin. I am afraid by its very source it is a bit grainy. This is the photo and is the best definition I can offer (the wording "Jack Dunne" I have added, but it is exactly what is written below the photo by the IRA)

dunne2.jpg

I have tried and failed to find Jack Dunne. He could have been either an Intelligence man or an Auxiliary. I am not enough of an expert in uniforms to tell anything from the photo.

So can anyone help with identifying Jack Dunne? The photo, or at least the IRA book entry, must be late 1920 or early 1921

Can't tell his regiment, but he does appear to be a 2/Lieutenant in the photograph. A match might be, Temp.Cadet Lieut. J.J. Dunne No.1661 who Joined the Aux. Div. on 10/2/21. He went to "K" Coy, on 18/2/21 and "O" Coy. on 2/4/21.

Dez

Thanks Dez

That could be a runner. There is no indication as to whether he was Intelligence or ADRIC, but a good lead

I have added his MIC to a page of notes on J J Dunne. He was in South Wales Borderers and came from Shropshire

Comparisons are difficult on photos, let alone old grainy photos.

Anyway I have found a John Joseph "Jack" Dunne (did call himself Jack) who was in RIC and who emigrated to USA. I have my doubts as to whether I can get a reply from the family there but I am trying

comparison.jpg

Form your own opinion. He seems to have the ears and the eyebrows, but it is difficult to say - I cannot rule him out on the photo

Apart from him, I am wallowing in J J Dunnes - something like 250 Dunnes in the RIC records, though admittedly not too many in ADRIC

Another possibility is a J J Dunne in Royal Irish Rifles who relinquished his commission in Apr 1020. Can anyone advise as to whether the man below is more likely to be R I Rifles or S Wales Borderers (this man appears to have been a QM most of his career)with the limited information available

dunne2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I think there was a Jack Dunne, an ex soldier, who lived at Inchicore found shot At Robinhood Lane. There was information that he was Intelligence and maybe secret service. I cannot locate details of date

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks from that tit-bit on a Jack Dunne "who lived at Inchicore found shot At Robinhood Lane"

Gives me a bit to work on - I will have a trawl to see what I can find