Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H R F Derrick of ADRIC

corisande

The IRA Intelligence book contains a number of photographs, some of which are annotated.

One of their annotations refers to one "Derrick" as "tortures prisoners" Given that there are 46 men on the photo and only two have derogatory remarks (this man and an Axminster whom I cannot find who is called a "bad Pill")

What I have on Derrick is on this link. He would appear to be Harry Reginald Fletcher Derrick ex-RFA

Apart from his MIC and a couple of LG entries I have found little. I did manage to track down his son-in-law who could or would not tell me much.

Has anyone come across this man anywhere, that might lead one to substantiate the claim that he was a torturer of prisoners (more than any of the others)

Not much to add, he is listed as 2/lieut. H.R.F. Derrick and he Joined the Aux. Div. on 8/11/20 being absorbed into "Depot" Company. On 19/3/21 he was transferred to "F" Company where he served without promotions or further transfers until 17/1/22.

Dez

1892 Aug 2. Born Barton Regis, Gloucs.

Barton Regis was a Registration District rather than a place.

For the area covered by the District see:

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/barton%20regis.html

Dave

Thanks Dez for those dates.

The email I got was

"I was his son-in-law,he never talked about that time,only that he was a Black and Tan. They were recruiting and the money was good.Sorry I cannot help."

I had only said in my approach that I was researching ADRIC, I thought it best not to mention the torture.

I doubt that I could get any more from other of his family members, but I will have a go.

It may be possible to get more if and when Witness Statements go on line and become searchable. Even in Bur Mil History at the moment you cannot search for, say, "Derrick". They tell me they expect the WSs to be online this year, but I have my doubts.

It is possible that someone mentioned him in one of the WS

Any chance he made his way to Palestine after 1922?, anything in his RAF records from during the war re: any problems during his service?

Afraid he is RFA rather than RAF. Which means one cannot download the service record.The RFA record should be at Kew, but it is not going to help with what he did with ADRIC. I see your point that a service record might show a propensity to be psychotic, but from what one sees of men put in any positions of power over prisoners they have a tendency to abuse that power.

This was not confined to the British. During the Irish Civil war there are examples of prisoners being tied to land mines and literally blown apart. Water-boarding and so on are recent examples. They probably genuinely believe that they are doing the "right" thing

I suppose in the case of Derrick, being singled out from nearly 50 men in a photo as a "torturer" then whatever he did do was pretty bad

I cannot find an "Axminster" in ADRIC or in MICs. He was the other man in F Coy with a negative comment in the IRA Intelligence Book - described as a "bad pill". Any input on who he might have been would be welcome too.

Palestine is a thought, but my database of ADRIC men going there is not comprehensive enough to find him

Hi,

Looking at his Medal Card he was awarded the Territorial Efficiency Medal in May 1927.

The criteria were for a minimum of 12 years service in the Territorial Army with war service counting double.

Regards Mark

Thanks Mark

I missed that one - I had not read the card properly.

Odd in a way that more men did not get that TA medal. With 5 years war service , they would only have to do another 2 years before and/r after.

Hi,

I think his service number 825011 would put him in the 240th Brigade RFA formerly 1/1 South Midland Brigade, RFA.

Block numbers RFA TF

825001-830000: 240 Brigade, RFA TF/ formerly 1/1 South Midland Brigade

825001-830000: 305 Brigade, RFA TF/ formerly 2/1 South Midland (Broken up in Sept 1916)

Looking at its Station 1 July 1913, most likely the 1st or 2nd Gloucestershire Battery since they are at Clifton, Bristol the address on his Medal Card.

According to the Army Lists he was commisioned 10 June 1918

48th (South Midland) Division

Regards Mark

post-14045-089286600 1297962475.jpg

Thanks - that looks logical.

I have been running through the IRA stuff I have, to see if there are any refernces to "torturing" with him, but have not found him yet .

Hi,

This looks like him on the Census for 1911 & 1901

Regards Mark

1911 Census

Reg. District: Bristol Sub District: Clifton

Parish: Bristol Enum. District: 30

Address: 93 Whiteladies Road Bristol County: Gloucestershire

Name Relation Condition/Yrs married Sex Age BirthYear Occupation Where Born

DERRICK, Edwin Thomas Head Married M 52 1859 Surgeon Dentist Gloucestersh Bristol

DERRICK, Sarah Ann Wife Married 27 years F 51 1860 Somerset Brislington

DERRICK, Harry Reginald Son Single M 18 1893 Dental Apprentice Gloucestersh Clifton

BELLINGER, Ellen Servant Single F 21 1890 General Servant Domestic Glamorgansh Wales

1901 Census

Reg. District: Bristol Sub District: Clifton

Parish: Bristol Enum. District: 41

Ecclesiastical District: St Mary the Virgin City/Municipal Borough:

Address: 93, Whiteladies Road, Bristol County: Gloucestershire

Name Relation Condition Sex Age BirthYear Occupation ,Disability Where Born

DERRICK, Edwin T Head Married M 42 1859 Surgeon Dentist Bristol

DERRICK, Sarah A Wife Married F 41 1860 Brislington<br>Somersetshire

DERRICK, Arthur F Son Single M 16 1885 Bristol

DERRICK, Florence M Daughter Single F 11 1890 Bristol

DERRICK, Harry R Son Single M 8 1893 Bristol

FORD, Rhoda Single F 20 1881 General Servant Domestic Wick<br>Gloucestershire

Thanks, I had not been persistent enough with him in the censuses - seems a peculiarity of FindMyPast that if you put in "Harry Reginald" it does not find him, even though that is what is recorded, and if you just put in "Harry" it finds him as "Harry Reginald"

It is a bit ironic, given my original post, that he was going to be a Dentist.