Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Uganda Volunteer Reserve 1914-16

bushfighter

If any Member is interested in the formation of the Uganda Volunteer Reserve, and in the important contribution it made to operations in the East Africa theatre, please look at:

http://www.kaiserscross.com/188001/311701.html

Harry

Very interesting article on seldom mentioned units in historical documentation. You've once again provided useful information on these units for which I'm grateful.

Jean-Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Another fascinating account Harry and thanks for the reference to C.J. Phillips' 'Uganda Volunteers and the War.' Not one I'd come across before. Uganda has a family interest for me as my parents and elder sisters lived there and I grew up surrounded by Ugandan objects and an epic slide collection! A couple of years ago a former Ugandan colleague of my late father said to me that the trenches dug to protect the border between Uganda and German East Africa were still visible in the 1960s. I wonder if any still are.

The reluctance of carriers to serve with the Belgian Advance Ox Transport Corps, fearing they may be eaten by the Congolese soldiers, reminds me of a similar instance at the beginning of the war down at Abercorn in Northern Rhodesia. Hordern in the Official History relates how a Belgian column, made up of 7 Belgian officers and 225 Askari from Force Publique 1st Battalion, coming to the assistance of the beleaguered garrison at Abercorn in September 1914 experience severe supply problems as all the villagers en route flee into the bush. Their reputation of canabalism had gone before them.

regards

james w