"Heroic Sons of Ulster"

hen190782

Three full-page sets of servicemen pictures from the Belfast Evening Telegraph

post-43948-088521200 1297507493.jpg

post-43948-081892200 1297507503.jpg

post-43948-063999800 1297507513.jpg

PM me for full-size (c1.5mb) copies.

Nigel

Emails with pictures sent to Jotsmee, Ulsterlad, David Faulder and PaulHP.

I love the symmetry on the "They died ..." page but depair at the wanton vandalism "Wounded Sons ..."

UIlsterlad

No problem ... I now have c4,200 individual servicemen pictures culled from the BET and I have only reached the end of 1915 (plus a few months from 1917) !

Regards

Nigel

Emails with pictures sent to Jotsmee, Ulsterlad, David Faulder and PaulHP.

I love the symmetry on the "They died ..." page but depair at the wanton vandalism "Wounded Sons ..."

I've received the e-mail,

thank you very much,

cheers,

Mick.

Ulsterlad

The filename for each picture conforms to the format "Surname, Forename/Initials, Rank, Regiment/Service, Address" (with blanks between the commas for any unknown elements).

I then use the Windows Command Line directory instruction to output the filenames as a Comma Separated File, which I can then open in Excel.

The text in each element of the filename is held in a separet column, which facilitates searching and fiultering.

Simple, really!

Nigel

Joan

I think that I had posted a copy of a picture of a George Smyth (36 Argyle Street Belfast) for you on a previous thread and you decided that it was not the same man ... if memory serves me, your man was Newtownards?

However, I now have contact with a guy who is researchiog the fallen from North Down and Ards, so I will ask him if he has any info. and I will get back to you.

Nigel

Nigel - could I please have copies of the files - you should have my email

Many thanks

Alan

Alan and David - email sent with images attached.

Joe - Thanks, still keeping an eye out for servicemen from the Black Watch (amongst others!).

Nigel

Joan

I think that I had posted a copy of a picture of a George Smyth (36 Argyle Street Belfast) for you on a previous thread and you decided that it was not the same man ... if memory serves me, your man was Newtownards?

However, I now have contact with a guy who is researchiog the fallen from North Down and Ards, so I will ask him if he has any info. and I will get back to you.

Nigel

Hello Nigel,

Sorry to have bothered you, yes, you did reply re: Smyth on Argyle St.(I forgot)

I would greatly appreciate your contact from North Down, checking for me.

Many thanks,

Joan

Joan

Unfortunately, my North Down contact has drawn a blank beyond the CWGC Debt of Honour record.

Sorry, but I will keep an eye out for George Smyth/Smith.

Regards

Nigel

Hello Nigel,

Would you, by any chance, have a photo of:

George Smyth

Royal Irish Rifles

K.I.A. December 30th 1914?

Thank you,

Joan

Hi Joan, Nigel

Did 9001 George Smyth. Royal Irish Rifles. have a Nephew Rifleman 5329 Richard. S. Smyth. Royal Irish Rifles (DOWs).

WJ - Sorry, I have no idea ... I was merely a conduit for Joan! Do you wish me to check if I have a photo of RS Smyth in by BET library?

Nigel

WJ - do you have any other info. (eg address) for your man as I have a picture of a George Smyth living at 36 Argyle Street in Belfast (which is up the Shankill Road). I think that Joan's George Smyth lived in Newtownards.

Nigel

Hi Fitzroy, i have a newspaper photo of RS Smyth and bit of info on George Smyth, and just thought i could help before i put the info i need about a family? photo i have on the forum.

So maybe Joan will get intouch if needed. cant seem to PM anyone at moment. So thank you.

By the way Nigel that's a great website you have.

Hi Fitzroy, Information quote from (B.E.T. Jan 1915, Information has been received by Mrs Elizabeth Smyth, 5 Wensley Street, Belfast, that her husband , Rifleman George Smyth, 1st Batt. Royal Irish Rifles, has died of wounds received in action.

KIA notice Jan 1915 Smyth -Died of wounds on December 30th 1914 at hospital in France. Pte George Smyth, 1st Batt RIR, beloved husband of Elizabeth Smyth. 5 Wensley Street.

I Have attach a notice for Pte 5329 Richard S Smyth 2nd Batt RIR a bit blurry (sorry battery run done when taken), confirming that this George Smyth, was his Uncle, hope this helps.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=197897

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=597812

So this leads me to believe that 9001 George Smyth came from Belfast and not Newtownards, i am not sure but i was told that CWGC was introduced in 1921-22 and former wifes or husbands moved on and give these address's

to the CWGC. hope this helps so George could have come from Wilton St at one time.

post-64827-027730600 1297869670.jpg

WJ - Good information and I hope that Joan sees it and contacts you.

BTW, I think you have to have made a certain number of posts before you can use the PM service.

Nigel

Hi Nigel, Thanks for advice, PM working now. First forum i have joined so might take me a while to get use to it. not doing to bad, i am a Lance Cpl already, LOL

Kind regards Walter.

Joan

Unfortunately, my North Down contact has drawn a blank beyond the CWGC Debt of Honour record.

Sorry, but I will keep an eye out for George Smyth/Smith.

Regards

Nigel

Hello Nigel,

Please thank your North Down contact, I appreciate their time searching for me.

Joan