Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd lieut Albert Edward Forbes

RaySearching

Hi
I have Been for the last 8 Months been researching the Names on the roll of Honour from St Barnabas Church
some 101 names "and down to the last eight"

I initially could not find this Man 2nd Lieu Albert Edward Forbes on sdgw or cwgc databases or anything about him
so I put him aside for awhile

I finally found him right under my nose on a local website
having gleaned the necessary information from the site
here is the info I now have on him

FORBES ALBERT EDWARD
2nd Lieut. Albert Edward Forbes
Durham Royal Garrison Artillery
Albert was the youngest son of Alderman John Forbes a Managing director of a Bakery and Jane Anne Forbes
He was a member of the Middlesbrough Town Council representing the Linthorpe Ward from 1910 - 1920. Albert resided at Bute House, Park Road, Middlesbrough
Albert was educated at Middlesbrough High School, and later, at Guisborough Grammar School.
Albert Trained to be a solicitor at the early age of 16 and was successful in becoming fully qualified at the age of twenty-one. Admitted April 1905 He practised in Middlesbrough, a member of Forbes and Nixon of 43 Albert Road, Middlesbrough
A Director of Middlesbrough Football Club his legal advice and experience proving very useful to his colleagues on the board.
Albert was also a very enthusiastic amateur footballer and a member of the old boys club and played whenever the time from his rapidly expanding business allowed him to
Albert Can Be found on the 1911 census residing with his parents at The Beeches Marton Described as a Solicitor
Albert Married Hilda May Almgill in 1912 in Middlesbrough

Albert Joined the Royal Field Artillery in Feb1917 and subsequently transferred to Royal Garrison Artillery he served in France
He died on 11th November 1920, It is reported as a result of illness from wounds he received whilst in
active service His Death falls within the qualifying date for inclusion for commemoration if his death can be found to be attributed to his war service , a possible non com ?
cannot find ON CWGC OR SDGW

Here is the Site which indicates Albert may have died through illness from wounds here

Albert died in Newcastle aged 37 not localy

Has anybody any further infomation or opinion is he definatly not on Cwgc
before I apply for his Death Certificate

Here Is his headstone no indication that he died from wounds on it

5424896170_c8802b1568_b.jpg

Regards Ray

Ray

Nope, I can't find him either.

Well worth getting the death certificate and seeing if it confirms a "died of wounds". If it does then he's a non-comm. If it doesnt, then he probably isnt.

When you've got it, you may want to contact us through the In From The Cold Project website. We can then offer advice as to whether we think its worth a punt to CWGC. If so, we can submit it to them on your behalf through our existing procedures, refunding you the cost of the certificate.

John

Hi All

Death certificate received in post today

Looks like a none runner

Cause of death From Certificate

(1) Aortic Valve Disease

(2) Cardiac dilation and failure

Regards Ray

Ray

I agree that on the face of it this looks like a non-runner. However, perhaps you might be able sweet-talk a member visiting Kew to have a quick nosy at his service file to see if there's any mention of heart illness.

(Any volunteers, readers?)

John

Ray

He his also on the Middlesbrough war memorial wall at Albert Park.

Dig deeper, have you been to the Teesside Archive to see if there hold anything on the Forbes Family? May be worth a punt.

Good luck with this.

Regards Kevin

" He died on 11th November 1920 as a result of illness from wounds caused

during active service in World War One 1914 - 1918, when he served with the

Durham Royal Artillery Garrison. "

from

Third link down HERE

Is this the same man?

Mike

• 10 years later...
On 07/02/2011 at 11:47, RaySearching said:

Hi
I have Been for the last 8 Months been researching the Names on the roll of Honour from St Barnabas Church
some 101 names "and down to the last eight"

I initially could not find this Man 2nd Lieu Albert Edward Forbes on sdgw or cwgc databases or anything about him
so I put him aside for awhile

I finally found him right under my nose on a local website
having gleaned the necessary information from the site
here is the info I now have on him

FORBES ALBERT EDWARD
2nd Lieut. Albert Edward Forbes
Durham Royal Garrison Artillery
Albert was the youngest son of Alderman John Forbes a Managing director of a Bakery and Jane Anne Forbes
He was a member of the Middlesbrough Town Council representing the Linthorpe Ward from 1910 - 1920. Albert resided at Bute House, Park Road, Middlesbrough
Albert was educated at Middlesbrough High School, and later, at Guisborough Grammar School.
Albert Trained to be a solicitor at the early age of 16 and was successful in becoming fully qualified at the age of twenty-one. Admitted April 1905 He practised in Middlesbrough, a member of Forbes and Nixon of 43 Albert Road, Middlesbrough
A Director of Middlesbrough Football Club his legal advice and experience proving very useful to his colleagues on the board.
Albert was also a very enthusiastic amateur footballer and a member of the old boys club and played whenever the time from his rapidly expanding business allowed him to
Albert Can Be found on the 1911 census residing with his parents at The Beeches Marton Described as a Solicitor
Albert Married Hilda May Almgill in 1912 in Middlesbrough

Albert Joined the Royal Field Artillery in Feb1917 and subsequently transferred to Royal Garrison Artillery he served in France
He died on 11th November 1920, It is reported as a result of illness from wounds he received whilst in
active service His Death falls within the qualifying date for inclusion for commemoration if his death can be found to be attributed to his war service , a possible non com ?
cannot find ON CWGC OR SDGW

Here is the Site which indicates Albert may have died through illness from wounds here

Albert died in Newcastle aged 37 not localy

Has anybody any further infomation or opinion is he definatly not on Cwgc
before I apply for his Death Certificate

Here Is his headstone no indication that he died from wounds on it

5424896170_c8802b1568_b.jpg

Regards Ray

I'm not sure if you are still pursuing this topic but it may be of interest to know that he lived in the house I live in now on Cambridge Road from 1912 after her married Hilda. In fact Hildas father built this house for them as a wedding gift !

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, PaulC78 said:

Can anyone find the officer's record for Forbes on the National Archives?

I went looking for a Medal Index Card to see if that shed any light on how his name might be recorded - but couldn't find an obvious candidate in the National Archive catalogue.

As to the place of death the Probate Service has this in the 1921 Probate Calendar.

1939692137_AlbertForbes1921ProbateCalendarsoucedprobatesearchservicegovuk.png.64695852a1d02c7bab3d12faa76367d2.png

Image courtesy https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Forbes&yearOfDeath=1921&page=1#calendar

His death was reported in many regional newspapers with this sample from the edition of the Newcastle Daily Chronicle dated 13 November 1920 being typical.

1246547546_NewcastleDailyChronicle13November1920p5DeathofaMiddlesbroughSolicitorsourcedFMP.png.1440dff18d9e12d87e656c7a2cf6d938.png

Image courtesy FindMyPast.

There is also a painting of him in Middlesbrough Town Hall. https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/albert-edward-forbes-second-lieutenant-19101920-57807

Cheers,

Peter

He is buried in Linthorpe Cemetery in a rather imposing memorial to the Forbes and Almgill families ,which is next to the Cross of Sacrifice

Edited by EDWARD1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/10/2021 at 00:04, PaulC78 said:

Can anyone find the officer's record for Forbes on the National Archives?

The closest match I can find is this one, but can't be certain if it's correct: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C695000

The file I linked above turned out to be for 2/Lt Alexander Bruce Forbes who DoW on 29/10/1918. If anyone can find the correct file for Albert Edward Forbes then I'd be happy to look it up on a future visit to Kew.

Pension, MIC and Medal Roll for  A.E Forbes RGA. The pension links the service No 173573 to the MIC & Medal Roll and also states widow as Hilda May (Almgill). 

forbes2.jpg

Forbes1.jpg

forbes3.jpg